• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3600 vs 3700x for next 4-5 years?

Soldato
Future proof cost you money now and in the future you have a crap pc... Get the cheap cpu now and change it in 2 years..

Dam lemson beat me to it...

Soldato
I think the 3700X will easily last the next 4-5 years. The only people saying otherwise either game only at 4K whilst streaming, or are those who upgrade every 6 months/1 year even though the games don't run that much differently.

FWIW OP, my 4670K which I bought back in 2013 (basically the same as what you have) has only just been upgraded, and only to an i7 chip to get hyperthreading. I don't play the latest and greatest games to be fair, but I get a solid 75fps (32" 1440p monitor with freesync) with settings on high in the likes of Doom, CSGO, GTA V, etc. Hardly a crap PC as suggested above. I've upgraded the GPU twice which has given me bigger gains than any CPU upgrade would (from a GTX670 to GTX970 and now Vega 56).

I'm planning to see how flight sim runs on it later in the year before deciding what to upgrade to, but the 3700X was what I had in mind, with an X570 motherboard so I have an upgrade path if the 4xxx series turns out to be much much better.

Associate
If buying shortly, daft buying a cpu now for 5 years, get the 3600 for £150ish or even the 3300x, mobo choice matters more so you don't get screwed, then upgrade next year when 3700x is £120 or go wild with a 4k chip
This.
This is also what I am doing. Going from a 4690k @ 4.5ghz to a 3600 now for £155 then a 4000 series 8-12core once the prices begin to drop, hopefully in like 12-18months.

Associate
What mobo are you buying Adam?

Waiting on the x570 Tomahawk, 2- 3 more weeks to go. Woohoo

Picked up some bits already though.

Just need to decide on what wattage psu will be best for the next 10 years / 2 builds. Likely to be putting in a 3070/3070s next (would be looking at AMD gpus but I'm locked in with Gsync). 650/750/850. Will likely be overclocking the cpu and gpu.

Soldato
Waiting on the x570 Tomahawk, 2- 3 more weeks to go. Woohoo

Picked up some bits already though.

Just need to decide on what wattage psu will be best for the next 10 years / 2 builds. Likely to be putting in a 3070/3070s next (would be looking at AMD gpus but I'm locked in with Gsync). 650/750/850. Will likely be overclocking the cpu and gpu.
PSU market is grim at moment, good luck bro

Caporegime
4-5 years lol!!!

maybe 2 max, its going to go mad in the next few years 32cores from intel and amd mainstream for sure
16 cores is already overkill unless your entire life depends on massive volumes of encoding and encryption. What matters now is less the number of cores and more progress in core CPU architecture and related areas of performance like IPC, latency, memory etc.

Associate
16 cores is already overkill unless your entire life depends on massive volumes of encoding and encryption. What matters now is less the number of cores and more progress in core CPU architecture and related areas of performance like IPC, latency, memory etc.

wait for games like cyberpunk, 6core/12thread wont cut it, I think they will utilise the 8c/16t and more systems

Caporegime
wait for games like cyberpunk, 6core/12thread wont cut it, I think they will utilise the 8c/16t and more systems
I would bet a lot of money they it runs very well on a fast quad core CPU combined with a sufficiently powerful GPU. I can't think of any logical reason why 6 cores "wouldn't cut it" unless your definition of "wouldn't cut it" is very different to the common meaning of the phrase.

However if buying a new CPU now then I think 8c 16t is the sweet spot to last you a while yet.

Permabanned
I would bet a lot of money they it runs very well on a fast quad core CPU combined with a sufficiently powerful GPU. I can't think of any logical reason why 6 cores "wouldn't cut it" unless your definition of "wouldn't cut it" is very different to the common meaning of the phrase.

However if buying a new CPU now then I think 8c 16t is the sweet spot to last you a while yet.

This is the truest answer I have seen in a long time! CPU's can handle and last longer than we think. It's most definitely mostly down to GPU for the correct performance. I am planning on sticking with a 3600 for around 3-5 years when I start building after B550 comes out. I'm not looking at the new cpus coming out as the 3600 will be more than enough for games for at least the next 3 years. This is being realistic in terms of "wouldn't cut it" or not. These new cpus aren't going to give us much better performance than there is now that is going to drastically improve our experience in me eyes. The new GPUs coming will be what change the landscape going forward at least until the CPU (AMD/INTEL) battle makes a few more developments.

Soldato
The software determines how much CPU power you need. As the software always lags behind the hardware an 8 core will last a long while. Until the masses get close to that level there not a lot of motivation for developers to make the software scale.

Anyone who remembers the first 64bit processors will remember how long it took for mainstream software to catch up.

Associate
Mainstream software will always surely go for the biggest market, so it makes no sense for them to limit their market by going really high-end.
8c/16t is the sweet spot and will last a significant period I expect.

Caporegime
The software determines how much CPU power you need. As the software always lags behind the hardware an 8 core will last a long while. Until the masses get close to that level there not a lot of motivation for developers to make the software scale.

Anyone who remembers the first 64bit processors will remember how long it took for mainstream software to catch up.
Yup, it says a lot that so many recent game engines are still running best on 1, 2 or 4 cores running as fast as possible. Games are much harder to multithread due to the linear one-by-one execution of instructions that can often be needed, especially in games like Total War..

Back
Top Bottom