Kitchen Gadgets!

Soldato
Alright guys, my Morphy Richard's air fryer keeps chucking error code e2 and as it's out of warranty I'm looking into replacing it. Dont want to be spending much over £100 if I can, any recommendations?

Associate
After thinking of buying an Air Fryer, I recently bought this Ninja model https://ninjakitchen.co.uk/product/ninja-air-fryer-max-af160uk/ which gets good reviews.
I have to admit though, I am not impressed with the results. I expected the chips, chicken pieces etc to come out much more like they were fried. Instead they seem to be more akin to having being cooked in an oven.

I don't know if it is me or the machine.

Associate
I don't know if it is me or the machine.

My money's on the machine.

I was thinking about getting one so I went to my go-to site for reviews, CooksIllustrated.com. It's a subscription site. Anyways they did comprehensive tests on 7 air fryer brands including the Ninja.

Result: If you have a working oven save your money. Despite hundreds of tests on all brands they all churned out food that comparable to using an oven. None produced crispy anything, everything had the texture of oven baked.

Associate
My money's on the machine.

I was thinking about getting one so I went to my go-to site for reviews, CooksIllustrated.com. It's a subscription site. Anyways they did comprehensive tests on 7 air fryer brands including the Ninja.

Result: If you have a working oven save your money. Despite hundreds of tests on all brands they all churned out food that comparable to using an oven. None produced crispy anything, everything had the texture of oven baked.

I disagree; I think they're a mid point between ovens and deep fat fryers. Yes, its not as good as deep fat fryer but done properly basic oven chips are a lot nicer in the fryer. The best chicken wings I've had have been done in the airfryer.

When you factor in cooking time (its a bit quicker) and ease of use compared to a deep fat I think they have a place. I totally agree however that based on flavour alone, its meal dependant.

Associate
I disagree; I think they're a mid point between ovens and deep fat fryers. Yes, its not as good as deep fat fryer but done properly basic oven chips are a lot nicer in the fryer. The best chicken wings I've had have been done in the airfryer.

When you factor in cooking time (its a bit quicker) and ease of use compared to a deep fat I think they have a place. I totally agree however that based on flavour alone, its meal dependant.

I'm glad you're enjoying yours, but I don't think that's the majority view.

Also, I didn't mean to make it sound as though they're total crap. They do have some advantages such as cooking time.

But, the point that I took away from the review, and you just reinforced for me is, is it worth the cost and counter space for something that produces better chips than the oven, but not as good as deep fat fryer, and possibly good wings? The answer is no for me and many others. (I will say, with respect, if an air fryer produces the best wings you've ever had then I feel sorry for you ( ;) ), cause the best wings in the world come out of a deep fat fryer. ). Also, I have a 12", extra deep, enameled cast iron skillet that produces chips that are on par with a deep fat fryer. ( I assume when you say chips you mean what I would call french fries.)

I won't ever buy a bread machine because they just can't produce good quality bread. Sure, it's better than I can do by hand, but it's a far cry from bakery quality. What's the point? I don't want dense flavorless bread just because it's better than I can do by hand.

All that said, I realize that much of this is subjective and that I have a bias formed by over 30 years of subscribing to Cooks Illustrated, (I subscribed to their magazine before Al Gore invented the internet :D ) that leads me to believe there's rarely a substitute for proper technique.

I will also add that I do understand that saving some time is important when you and your spouse both work and have 3 kids living at home. Just don't expect miracles.

Associate
That's interesting. I did refer to Which? when buying and generally, they give Air Fryers good reviews.

Having a bit of trouble parsing that. Not sure what 'Which' is.

I should add that Cooks Illustrated doesn't accept any advertising from anyone and they never accept free samples of anything from anyone. They have ~ 30 professionally trained chefs working full time developing recipes, testing equipment and doing taste tests. They purchase everything themselves.

They pay the bills through subscriptions.

This is why they're so trusted here.

Associate
From the sounds of Cooks Illustrated, Which? are a UK equivalent. They are a subscription funded, independent consumer organisation that provides independent advice and reviews

Associate
Ah... ok. Found the wiki page for Which?. I think the better comparison would be Consumer Reports here in the US. They test and review everything under the Sun.

I don't subscribe to Consumer Reports but I suspect that they would give air fryers a good review as well. After all, they do cook the food and are safe to use. The difference here is that Cooks Illustrated tests specifically for kitchen/cooking equipment and then decides A) is it worth it? B) which one did the best job.

So, I went back and read the review on Cooks Illustrated as it was more than a year ago when I looked into an air fryer. Here's a quote from their extensive writeup:

"If you usually cook for more than two people or are expecting deep-fried food from one of these, then an air fryer probably isn’t for you. Air fryers hold only one or two servings, and the food ultimately isn’t any different from what you can achieve in your home oven."

That's the sentence that stuck in my mind.

Associate
Ah... ok. Found the wiki page for Which?. I think the better comparison would be Consumer Reports here in the US. They test and review everything under the Sun.

I don't subscribe to Consumer Reports but I suspect that they would give air fryers a good review as well. After all, they do cook the food and are safe to use. The difference here is that Cooks Illustrated tests specifically for kitchen/cooking equipment and then decides A) is it worth it? B) which one did the best job.

So, I went back and read the review on Cooks Illustrated as it was more than a year ago when I looked into an air fryer. Here's a quote from their extensive writeup:

"If you usually cook for more than two people or are expecting deep-fried food from one of these, then an air fryer probably isn’t for you. Air fryers hold only one or two servings, and the food ultimately isn’t any different from what you can achieve in your home oven."

That's the sentence that stuck in my mind.

Sounds like Cooks Illustrated has got it right based on my experience

Soldato
Thanks. Watched the video. Roughly in line with my assessment. Definitely not the same as frying but more like a faster and cleaner oven

Just get a better oven. When we moved from a cheap gas cooker to a quality Neff oven, the difference in it's ability to cook well was immense, even at just it's default "fan oven" settings. When you start using the various programs to cook how you want with heat in different ways, even things like a loaf of bread or a roast chicken come out cooked a lot better.

Given that you will likely want an oven in your kitchen, it's worth spending a little more to get a quality one that works well, rather than messing about with compromise solutions like air fryers that just end up taking up space and often end up unused.

Back
Top Bottom