• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Spending £500+ on a graphics card just so you can have fancy lighting and reflections in 3 games that you probably wont notice as you are too busy playing is another arguement to go console :(

add another £1000 due to sale and demand as everyone will be fighting over the 100 or so 3080ti's that land in Q4.

Reasonable value for 2080Ti performance for under £500.

Or you could buy a console for £5-600 and that’s all you get for at least the next 2-3 years. Good value for money sure but truthfully both (PS5/X1X) have barely enough specs for 4k 60hz this generation never mind games in a few years time.

Personally cannot see the Ti launching straight away this gen. That will likely come next year. I’m thinking 3080, around 40%+ faster than 2080Ti. With much faster RTX/tensor performance.

3070 likely slightly over 2080Ti, 3060 slightly under to compete with both consoles.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Reasonable value for 2080Ti performance for around that price.

Or you could buy a console for £5-600 and that’s all you get for at least the next 2-3 years. Good value for money but both have barely enough specs for 4k 60hz this generation never mind games in a few years time.

Personally cannot see the Ti launching straight away this gen. That will likely come next year. I’m thinking 3080, around 40%+ faster than 2080Ti. With much faster RTX/tensor performance.
I think with tweaking settings it would be fine for most new games bar a few in the next couple of years. In which case DLSS may play a part if available.

I don't think 3080 will be 40% faster than a 2080Ti, but sure do hope so.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Wonder what the 2080Ti will drop down in price to, it will still handle games for 5+ years so worth considering for those on 9/10 series cards.

I doubt it will drop, they've controlled supply to make sure there is only just enough. Similar to what happened with the 1080Ti, it never really dropped much even right at the end.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Wonder what the 2080Ti will drop down in price to, it will still handle games for 5+ years so worth considering for those on 9/10 series cards.
It all depends on the price for performance of the 3000 series surely? If the 3070 is close to the performance and under £500 who in their right mind would buy a 2080Ti second hand for more?

Soldato
It all depends on the price for performance of the 3000 series surely? If the 3070 is close to the performance and under £500 who in their right mind would buy a 2080Ti second hand for more?
Professional who either need the RAM, or already have a 2080ti in their system and want to double it up. (I am assuming computers work best when you pair identical graphics cards together rather than 2 different SKUs.)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Professional who either need the RAM, or already have a 2080ti in their system and want to double it up. (I am assuming computers work best when you pair identical graphics cards together rather than 2 different SKUs.)
So not many then as SLI is somewhat dead and a pro would likely go 3000 series. Certainly the case for members market as I can't image many there buying it for the above use cases.

Soldato
I doubt it will drop, they've controlled supply to make sure there is only just enough. Similar to what happened with the 1080Ti, it never really dropped much even right at the end.

That’s what makes me think the 3000 series won’t be as cheap as we think.

Close to 2080Ti for <£500 effectively writes off a £1200+ card unless they do what they did with the super cards.

3070 = 2080 Super performance
3070 Super 2080Ti performance

Could that be possible?

Soldato

The 1080ti didn't get any competition from the 20xx at its market price at the time so no need for the price to come down. If the 2080Ti had been priced at $700, 1080ti prices would have came down.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That’s what makes me think the 3000 series won’t be as cheap as we think.

Close to 2080Ti for <£500 effectively writes off a £1200+ card unless they do what they did with the super cards.

3070 = 2080 Super performance
3070 Super 2080Ti performance

Could that be possible?
What is the problem with them writing off a £1200 card though? Apart from this time around prices being higher many times in the past performance has improved like this.

If the 3070 was 2080S performance that would be embarrassing and they would get slated.

Associate
Thanks.

So around June 2015 when the 980ti came out, £1 would buy you $1.55.

In March 2017 when the 1080ti came out, £1 would buy you $1.25.

And in September 2018 for the 2080ti, we were at around £1 to $1.30.

General inflation runs around 3% per year depending on the index.

So from June 15 to March 17, we'd expect 1.75 years of inflation so that's 3% x 1.75 = 5.25%; call it 5%.

And the pound devalued compared to the dollar by around 20%.

So taking price of 980ti of £540 x 5% x 20% = £680 for the 1080ti, which was what it was.

But then since the 1080ti the dollar had weakened slightly (-4%) and we'd have another 18 months of inflation (say 5%), so broadly no change in the underlying metrics at 2080ti release.

The mining boom was around late 2017 to early 2018 (when it all went crazy), which saw the 10xx cards get way inflated and which then persisted into the release of the 20xx series.

To me that's probably the entire reason.

Now hopefully the mining drop off has seen new sales massively fall and profits down compared to previous years (hence investor's moaning) and so if we start from the baseline of the 1080ti at £690 in March 2017 compared to now:

Well now the currency is £1 to $1.21, which is about +3% compared to March 2017 and we'd have 3 years of inflation so around 9%. So £690 x 1.03 x 1.09 = around £775.

So the equivalent price of the 3080ti would / should be around £775. Obviously my calcs are rough.

There should be no reason to hold on to mining boom prices now.

Some absolute sense right there.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
By the way to clarify I was talking about used card prices. As ljt rightly pointed out. New prices likely won't change much as they will control supply so just as they are running out of the 2000 series stock, the 3000 series will hit.

Also there are people who are uninformed and will still buy a 2080Ti full price even after the 3000 series is out.

Soldato
I dont understand this whole restricting supply to keep prices high idea. I don't see how it makes them more money than trying to sell to the mass market.

Case 1 - top GPU for £600, everyone buys it, huge sales volumes, massive turnover, high user base big market share.
Case 2 - top GPU for £1200, only enthusiasts buy it, lesser model for £500 which more buy - less turnover than case 1, lower market share.

By restricting supply surely they are only hampering themselves and driving sales to lower product lines or competitors.

They should be flooding the market, making powerful GPUs as cheap as margins allow, and taking massive market share.

Associate
I dont understand this whole restricting supply to keep prices high idea. I don't see how it makes them more money than trying to sell to the mass market.

Case 1 - top GPU for £600, everyone buys it, huge sales volumes, massive turnover, high user base big market share.
Case 2 - top GPU for £1200, only enthusiasts buy it, lesser model for £500 which more buy - less turnover than case 1, lower market share.

By restricting supply surely they are only hampering themselves and driving sales to lower product lines or competitors.

They should be flooding the market, making powerful GPUs as cheap as margins allow, and taking massive market share.
Very few buy in either price bracket. They're better selling at £1200 because they'll only get 20% more sales at £600. By the time you're spending £600 on a GPU you're already committed, unless you have a professional excuse or are an extreme enthusiast you don't spend that money.
Few people in this thread even own a 2080ti!

Soldato

Because they have a lack of supply, new wafers s/process means that yields will be very poor so they have less GPUs to sell, so they jack the price up as high as they can.

Soldato
Am surprised by how many people have a 2080ti, 0.81% is really high for such a high priced GPU when you compare it with how much percentage the cheaper GPU's have..

I would guess most of the top 8 GPU's percentage in this list is increased greatly by lots of cheap/entry level gaming laptops

0CPqRbE.png

Back
Top Bottom