• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Comet Lake S review thread

Soldato
Do intel change socket more purely for profits only ?

Why haven't all CPUS just been developed around an arbitrary number of pins that they stick to and design around? Surely somewhere between 1500-2000 gives them more than enough to work with?

Soldato
I've not read about this. May i ask for details on the issue?

Can't remember the exact details, but the ethernet port doesn't run at full speed on z490 due to a hardware bug or something.

Anyway, 10th gen is DOA as pointed out by hardware unboxed - it's a paper launch product just to get some quick revenue for Intel, but it will quickly be replaced by the 11th gen later this year - buy at your own risk.

Yes! Even though Intel doesn't directly make boards, they make the chipset and they make ethernet controllers and board vendors buy these components off Intel - so Intel is making a pretty penny on each board that gets made, that's why they love to force upgrades. This is also why Intel has such a "great" relationship with board vendors, because Intel pumps up their revenue by forcing board upgrades.

Do you think board vendors are happy with AMD right now after being told they have to support Zen 3 on B450? Hell no, but they love Intel because if you want a 10900k you need a nice new shiny board

Last edited:
Soldato
So I guess this not a good upgraded from a 8700k to a i7 10700k?

If you want the absolute best for gaming, then the 10900k is the one to get. That said, I'd hold up upgrading from a 8700k until Intel's next gen architecture launches.

It's amazing that Intel is still king of gaming with a 5 year old architecture, just imagine how much IPC (performance per core) improvement we'll see, exciting times :)

Soldato
If you want the absolute best for gaming, then the 10900k is the one to get. That said, I'd hold up upgrading from a 8700k until Intel's next gen architecture launches.

It's amazing that Intel is still king of gaming with a 5 year old architecture, just imagine how much IPC (performance per core) improvement we'll see, exciting times :)

Overclocked with more power at every iteration. Is ridiculous we discuss this when we need 360mm AIO just to keep this CPU from boiling point.
Let alone is paper launch with limited number of CPUs available in similar fashion to 9900KS.

Soldato

Age of the architecture doesn't matter though. What matter is what you achieve when put through analysis (no one thinks "mhm this architecture is X years old therefore I will/wont buy it". Except maybe you). There are no leaks yet to make any guess on how IPC might change for Rocket Lake, though there are rumours that it's a ring bus design that maxes out at 8 cores.

I'd also second guess your claim of the 10900k being the best when the 10600k beats it in several games

Soldato
So a 10 core 6700k...

LOL no PCI 4.0 support for the CPU, 10 cores 250w+ TDP once MCE is on. Christ £500 BEFORE the CPU COOLER!! - 3950x/3900x flawless victory.....

AMD IS BACK big time.

Caporegime
A 6700k ragged to within an inch of its life, drawing more power with 10 cores than amd does with 16, needing an aio to stop itself from cooking, but because this runs games a bit faster in lower resolutions it's "amazing" in some people's eyes.

Funny how gaming is suddenly intels focus, wouldn't be because they get whipped in virtually every other metric? Even the reviews kits had a big "gaming happens with Intel" logo in the box with the cpu's.

Soldato
A 6700k ragged to within an inch of its life, drawing more power with 10 cores than amd does with 16, needing an aio to stop itself from cooking, but because this runs games a bit faster in lower resolutions it's "amazing" in some people's eyes.

Funny how gaming is suddenly intels focus, wouldn't be because they get whipped in virtually every other metric? Even the reviews kits had a big "gaming happens with Intel" logo in the box with the cpu's.

Intel are just much better at marketing and milking whatever they have. The same goes for Nvidia. AMD stage out as being fairly poor at marketing. It's like AMD has advantages being run by engineers creating great products but who also seem to run their marketing.

I don't buy because of marketing hence I'm all AMD right now but most of the public suck it up. I hear "but Intel is the best for gaming" all the time. Most aren't interested in the nuances of CPU performance sadly.

Associate
Aside from keeping the motherboards makers in profit, I always though that originally one of the reason was the way they manufacturer chipsets on previous nodes. So chipsets (and for a long time Atom), is/was possibly seen within Intel as a way to use old factories until the got upgraded too.

So 11 series is indeed out before the end of the year with Z590 boards, and going also to be replaced by LGA1700 next year. (around May time).
Ah, a jump of 500 pins seems to imply either triple or quad channel memory, or maybe more PCIe lanes.
The oscillation around 1150-1200 pins was probably for the above reason of keeping old node factories busy plus AFAIR they have two major design teams who leapfrog each other and, for instance, one of them - think it was the Israeli one - wanted on-die FIVR voltage regular and the other didn't?

Soldato
Aside from keeping the motherboards makers in profit, I always though that originally one of the reason was the way they manufacturer chipsets on previous nodes. So chipsets (and for a long time Atom), is/was possibly seen within Intel as a way to use old factories until the got upgraded too.

Ah, a jump of 500 pins seems to imply either triple or quad channel memory, or maybe more PCIe lanes.
The oscillation around 1150-1200 pins was probably for the above reason of keeping old node factories busy plus AFAIR they have two major design teams who leapfrog each other and, for instance, one of them - think it was the Israeli one - wanted on-die FIVR voltage regular and the other didn't?

No is new architecture, not another Skylake. Even this 10th series doesn't use all the pins as it doesn't support pcie 4.0. It would have happily work on Z390 boards.

Is all down to marketing.

Same applies to RKL-S, is the 10nm chip architecture backported to 14nm, hence the need for LGA1200. But can you imagine the backlash if intel released a single gen of socket 6 months before the release of another?

Hence those who buy the 10th gen, just bite the bullet knowing that their cpu could have worked on Z390 but intel decided to add few dead pins to force them change motherboard.

How that sits with you as a consumer?

Soldato
Is it me or some reviewers trying to make 9900K look bad? Few are using slower ram (3200Mhz) on their 9900K and 3600 on the 10900K.
And we do know, RAM speed matters even on Intel cpus. The opposite is myth from 7 years ago.

Soldato
I see. It certainly looks attractive to gamers though, I reckon these will sell well in that demographic. Up to 30fps difference, at 1080p, between the i7/i9 and 3900X in some games. Of course that difference vanishes at 1440p or above.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom