Barracuda 510 vs Samsung 970 EVO Plus vs ?

Associate
Evening all, happy weekend.

Just looking for some opinions if I may. I have a series of upgrades planned for the year, culminating somewhat predictably in either a 'Big Navi', or Ampere card toward the end of the year (thanks to those on GC forum who advised me to wait!).

My current thoughts are to add an additional two sticks of RAM taking me up to 32GB, and upgrade to an NVMe drive as my main storage.

With that in mind, I was looking at the 970 Evo 1TB drive. However, the Barracuda 510 is on offer this week on OCUK. I know it's not exactly and apples vs apples comparison, but that's kind of the point. Is the extra £60 worth it for an extra 200MB/s read:300MB/s write.

Also, my motherboard (with BIOS fully up-to-date) is PCIe 4.0 compatible. Would something like a Sabrent Rocket PCIe 4.0 be a contender, at 5000MB/s read:4400MB/s write, for little more than the Barracuda? I know Samsung have a rep for great SSDs, and historically I trust few more than Seagate. Don't know much about Sabrent though for example.

Thoughts, opinions, all information gratefully received.

Specs:

2700x @ 4.2GHz
AX370 Gaming K7
2x 8MB 8Pack 3200MHz CAS14
2x 500MB SATA SSDs + 1x 2TB Seagate (although this config will undoubtedly change)

Thank you all for your time, and hope you're all keeping well.

Soldato
I'm running two of those rockets, they're rapid and I'm only running at PCIE3, I wouldn't buy anything else at the moment, but that's just me though! 5 Year Warranty and means I'm covered as well. These are my speeds at minute, you'vd obviously get the full fat speeds due to PCIE4

Sabrent.jpg

Man of Honour
If all you're going to do is game, then getting nvme over a sata3 sad isn't going to make a huge difference, if at all. Despite all the hype about headline speeds.

Soldato
Having upgraded from ssd to nvme and back then back again, and looked at loads of benchmarks the only real difference in almost all ssds regardless of sata or nvme is benchmarks or using a stopwatch.. Other than that you ain't gonna tell the difference

Cheap sata ssd to nvme 3000/2000 there was no difference I could notice.. Benchmarks looked nice though.. I assume there are some massive overheads some where or other bottlenecks like how the slowest memory in single channel v the fastest in dual and quad makes so little difference despite looking good on paper

Back
Top Bottom