• Digital Only Version

Votes: 171 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 660 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
More or less done that at the start of this gen. PS4 and X1 are cracking consoles and I've felt I've not needed my PC. This next gen will likely see me push this further
Yeh I held off previously but I think I may finally go that way.

Not any more. I know from this gen that if I get both consoles, one will be sat gathering dust 90% of the time. So it’s PC+PS5 combo for me as all the XBox games will be on Steam.

I thought about just getting a PC GPU upgrade but in a world where both consoles will cost me ~£900, I'm not sure about paying £600+ for a GPU upgrade alone. I'm torn but the value in PC gaming seems all wrong. This is from someone that can still use his Steam library on a laptop though.

Soldato
My PC is 'ok' at the moment, I mean I cant play games in ultra but usually a mix of high/v high which is fine. I can't really think of any PS exclusives I'd miss tbh. I'm done with cinematic 3rd person climbing/action games like Uncharted forever.

Caporegime
I thought about just getting a PC GPU upgrade but in a world where both consoles will cost me ~£900, I'm not sure about paying £600+ for a GPU upgrade alone. I'm torn but the value in PC gaming seems all wrong. This is from someone that can still use his Steam library on a laptop though.

Well when I say PC gaming, I'm not really talking about splashing out on a 3080Ti. I'll just plug along with my 1070 card (as long as it can play the next-gen titles at 1080p60 and low settings if necessary) until it gets totally underpowered. Then I'll probably just buy a whole new PC or laptop. PS5 will likely be my main machine, I'm not averse to buying multiplatform games on PS5 at launch and then double-dipping on PC when they become cheap as cheaps a couple of years down the line. And I'm starting to get my head around "settling for second best" - if the XBox Series X ends up trouncing the PS5 then I'll be miffed for a bit but know that a future PC build will trounce the XSX.

The other benefit of having PC and just one console means you don't have to shell out for two lots of subscription services each month. I don't play a lot of multiplayer but having to have XBL Gold or PS+ just to get discounts on digital games stinks.

Last edited:
Associate
I haven't been able to update my PC for several years (actually needs a new mouse and monitor before I even thought about a better GPU :p). Getting a PS4 was for family gaming and I realised I haven't even loaded a PC game up in almost two years now, as it is no longer a practical way for me to play.

If I can afford to get a PS5, even though our TV is still 1080p, I will definitely go that route as it is it just a better experience for me/us these days.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
My PC is 'ok' at the moment, I mean I cant play games in ultra but usually a mix of high/v high which is fine. I can't really think of any PS exclusives I'd miss tbh. I'm done with cinematic 3rd person climbing/action games like Uncharted forever.
Yeah, playing that now, not a fan of all the climbing. It’s like are we playing tomb raider or something? Gets boring fast. Lovely visuals though for a console, on an OLED tv anyway.

Caporegime
Yeah, playing that now, not a fan of all the climbing. It’s like are we playing tomb raider or something? Gets boring fast. Lovely visuals though for a console, on an OLED tv anyway.

I'm the exact opposite, I could spend most of the game just climbing, exploring and enjoying the amazing artwork on the scenery. When it comes to combat it's "damn, here we go again."

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'm the exact opposite, I could spend most of the game just climbing, exploring and enjoying the amazing artwork on the scenery. When it comes to combat it's "damn, here we go again."
I actually enjoy exploring a lot myself, just not a fan of the Uncharted version of it. Not like I have played much yet, so may end up changing my mind. I did try and play the first uncharted from the collection and found it boring. So maybe just not into the story and characters.

Well when I say PC gaming, I'm not really talking about splashing out on a 3080Ti. I'll just plug along with my 1070 card (as long as it can play the next-gen titles at 1080p60 and low settings if necessary) until it gets totally underpowered. Then I'll probably just buy a whole new PC or laptop. PS5 will likely be my main machine, I'm not averse to buying multiplatform games on PS5 at launch and then double-dipping on PC when they become cheap as cheaps a couple of years down the line. And I'm starting to get my head around "settling for second best" - if the XBox Series X ends up trouncing the PS5 then I'll be miffed for a bit but know that a future PC build will trounce the XSX.

The other benefit of having PC and just one console means you don't have to shell out for two lots of subscription services each month. I don't play a lot of multiplayer but having to have XBL Gold or PS+ just to get discounts on digital games stinks.
Yeah, if you can wait until something like a RTX 4070 in a few years you would get a card that would be a huge upgrade and be much better than the XSX.

Soldato

Yep, I don't remember hating the combat so much in the earlier Uncharted games but I found it really jarring and annoying in Uncharted 4. I'd like more exploration and puzzles and less combat in the next Uncharted, but it's like game devs are scared to make a game without the focus being on combat. The TR reboots went too much in the same direction imo.

Soldato

Yeh I guess that's where I'm coming from. If I'm going to keep the main PC it needs to be the power platform, so originally I planned on getting a high spec GPU instead of a Series X and also a PS5 for exclusives.

The issue is that high spec GPU seems like it will cost more than a Series X and that's reported to do 4K/60 (maybe atslightly lower settings), so it seems like using the PC to fund the Series X may be better value.
Admittedly still having a lower spec laptop (970m) helps.

Soldato
Thing is Jae-So, even though it's been reported, look at the new AC, that's locked to 30 FPS, so I'm not convinced this wont be jsut like the current gen tbh.

V F

V F

Soldato
Thing is Jae-So, even though it's been reported, look at the new AC, that's locked to 30 FPS, so I'm not convinced this wont be jsut like the current gen tbh.

It will be. Soon as console developers get more performance, up goes the graphic quality while locked at 30fps. The PS6 will be exactly the same.

Soldato
It will be. Soon as console developers get more performance, up goes the graphic quality while locked at 30fps. The PS6 will be exactly the same.

I don't blame them either, the reaction the the UE5 demo was enough, I personally believe it's a small minority who care more about FPS than graphical quality. Enthusiasts who go on forums etc are only a small % I'd imagine.

Soldato
Yeh that's a fair point but what GPU would it require to get the same performance? I would suggest it would cost upwards of £400. If the consoles are £500 or less then it just seems like we are overpaying. I hope I am wrong but that's what seemed to be the case this gen vs the upgraded consoles.

For example, a GTX1070 vs a One X. My 1070 is more powerful but after PC overheads I don't see that much of a step up from my One X.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeh that's a fair point but what GPU would it require to get the same performance? I would suggest it would cost upwards of £400. If the consoles are £500 or less then it just seems like we are overpaying. I hope I am wrong but that's what seemed to be the case this gen vs the upgraded consoles.

For example, a GTX1070 vs a One X. My 1070 is more powerful but after PC overheads I don't see that much of a step up from my One X.

What we need is for next-gen consoles and RDNA2 to both live up to the hype so that Nvidia are finally under some pressure to innovate and/or reduce prices. Nvidia haven't got quite as lazy as Intel did in the CPU sector, but it certainly feels like they've been testing how far they can push consumers before we start pushing back. Personally I refused to buy into the whole RTX lineup this time round, I'm yet to see a game that truly benefits from ray tracing and the markup on the RTX cards versus the previous gen annoyed me.

Soldato
What we need is for next-gen consoles and RDNA2 to both live up to the hype so that Nvidia are finally under some pressure to innovate and/or reduce prices. Nvidia haven't got quite as lazy as Intel did in the CPU sector, but it certainly feels like they've been testing how far they can push consumers before we start pushing back. Personally I refused to buy into the whole RTX lineup this time round, I'm yet to see a game that truly benefits from ray tracing and the markup on the RTX cards versus the previous gen annoyed me.
Yeh I refused to pay for a 2070/2080 as an upgrade to my 1070, the pricing is wild. We can hope for the best, next gen.

Associate
OP
For the first time in forever, conversation in one of my group chats in WhatsApp shifted to to console talk.

This gen it's been a bit of a mix between Xbox and PS between us all so doing anything online never really happened. General consensus for next-gen however is that most are wanting to get the PS5 this time round, so that looks to have potentially sealed the deal in what I go for.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
For the first time in forever, conversation in one of my group chats in WhatsApp shifted to to console talk.

This gen it's been a bit of a mix between Xbox and PS between us all so doing anything online never really happened. General consensus for next-gen however is that most are wanting to get the PS5 this time round, so that looks to have potentially sealed the deal in what I go for.
What, not a Stadia? :p:D

Back
Top Bottom