Uphere RGB fan & Akasa Vegas Addressable RGB fan controller

Associate
If this question has been asked elsewhere please accept my apologies, I'm new to the forum & custom gaming pc's. I recently bought my daughter a pre owned gaming pc that has four Uphere 120mm RGB case fans fitted, each fan has two cables, 4 pin & 3 pin, the 4 pin connector is fitted to the Asus Z97A mobo (non RGB) headers, the 3 pin connector is not fitted. I wish to get the fans to light up so bought the Akasa Vegas Addressable RGB controller with remote control which I installed as per the instructions with exception of not connecting the CPU fan to the unit. The control unit has a lead to connect it to the mobo fan header so it was connected to the CPU opt one. When the pc was started all the fans were working but the RGB feature was not which is frustrating. The remote control battery was replaced, but this made no difference & I re-checked the control unit & wring.
If anybody has any idea of what the problem is please let me know, at the moment the only option I can see is to replace the fans.
Many thanks
Greg

Soldato
Hi Greg,

I don't own these fans, but I've looked at this brand in the past. I believe they have their own RGB Fan Controller which you might need for the RGB elements - do you have a picture of the fan to see what design they are? We may be able to work out what it needs to get them running.

Cheers.

Man of Honour
If its these, then you are missing a remote control hub

Google ;
upHere 120mm RGB LED Computer Case PC Cooling Fan, ultra Quiet High Airflow Adjustable Color LED Case Fan with remote controller-5 Pack (RGB123-5)

if its' these, then your Akasa should be fine

upHere 5V PWM ARGB LED 120mm Case Fan For PC Cooling super Silent 5V 6 Pack-Supports ASUS Aura Sync/GIGABYTE ARGB Fusion/MSI Mystic Light Sync/AsRock Polychrome Sync-T7SYC7-6

Sorry for not linking, but forum rules

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi Greg,

I don't own these fans, but I've looked at this brand in the past. I believe they have their own RGB Fan Controller which you might need for the RGB elements - do you have a picture of the fan to see what design they are? We may be able to work out what it needs to get them running.

Cheers.
Many thanks for your reply, I have some photos but can't upload them (embarasing really, don't know how).
Regards
Greg

Soldato
Many thanks for your reply, I have some photos but can't upload them (embarasing really, don't know how).
Regards
Greg

You can upload them to somewhere like imgur and then share the link to image here if that's easier. I'm sure we can work out why the fans are lighting up, but unfortunately we can't share links on where to buy them or links to other stores.

Associate
OP
If its these, then you are missing a remote control hub

Google ;
upHere 120mm RGB LED Computer Case PC Cooling Fan, ultra Quiet High Airflow Adjustable Color LED Case Fan with remote controller-5 Pack (RGB123-5)

if its' these, then your Akasa should be fine

upHere 5V PWM ARGB LED 120mm Case Fan For PC Cooling super Silent 5V 6 Pack-Supports ASUS Aura Sync/GIGABYTE ARGB Fusion/MSI Mystic Light Sync/AsRock Polychrome Sync-T7SYC7-6

Sorry for not linking, but forum rules
Thanks for the info, to be honest I don't know which fans they are, assume its the first one you list because they are 12v.
Regards
Greg

Associate
OP
You can upload them to somewhere like imgur and then share the link to image here if that's easier. I'm sure we can work out why the fans are lighting up, but unfortunately we can't share links on where to buy them or links to other stores.
I'll try and upload the photos and share the link.
Thanks.

Associate
OP
QUOTE="Atari, post: 33634195, member: 13447"]You can upload them to somewhere like imgur and then share the link to image here if that's easier. I'm sure we can work out why the fans are lighting up, but unfortunately we can't share links on where to buy them or links to other stores.[/QUOTE]
Hopefully the link will work for the photos.
X1DyEfN

http://imgur.com/a/X1DyEfN

Last edited:
Soldato
They look like the second ones Brizzles posted. If so, I think they need their own controller, the 4 pin will control PWM functions, and the 3pin will be needed for aRGB on the rings. Annoyingly, I can't seem to find the controller for sale seperately anywhere, is there one hidden away inside the case anywhere? Maybe behind the motherboard tray?

Associate
OP
They look like the second ones Brizzles posted. If so, I think they need their own controller, the 4 pin will control PWM functions, and the 3pin will be needed for aRGB on the rings. Annoyingly, I can't seem to find the controller for sale seperately anywhere, is there one hidden away inside the case anywhere? Maybe behind the motherboard tray?
There is no controller hidden away, the chap I bought the pc from built it himself and wasn't interested in having it all lit up so never installed a control unit. Do I have to connect both the 4 pin 12v pwm & the 3 pin 5v cables to the controller, the Akasa Vegas unit has the pwm ports for 6 fans & 2 ports for other ARGB devises with splitter cables included. Unfortunately the 3 pin fan connectors won't fit the 3 pin splitter cables. Also if I connect both sets of cables will there be a conflict with the fan trying to run on 12 & 5v at the same time, or are they completely separate circiuits ?
ATB
Greg

Soldato
They should be two totally seperate circuits, the 4pin PWM will control the fan motor only, and the 3pin headers will just control and power the lighting on the fans.

If your motherboard has an RGB header on it, you may be able to connect one of the fans directly to it:

https://imgur.com/a/uGNgnMj

If it's the fans I've been looking at, the controller should look like this, annoyingly I can't see the controller for sale on its own anywhere:

https://imgur.com/WWXBYYk

Associate
OP
They should be two totally seperate circuits, the 4pin PWM will control the fan motor only, and the 3pin headers will just control and power the lighting on the fans.

If your motherboard has an RGB header on it, you may be able to connect one of the fans directly to it:

https://imgur.com/a/uGNgnMj

If it's the fans I've been looking at, the controller should look like this, annoyingly I can't see the controller for sale on its own anywhere:

https://imgur.com/WWXBYYk
The Uphere controller you have linked is the one I have been looking at this morning but don't think it available separately. I was wondering if the 5v connectors on the fans could be fitted to the 5v plitter cables on the Akasa Vegas controller, just need to find an adaptor if one exists. Thanks for your help.

Associate
OP
https://imgur.com/a/pT3M3Z8
The idea I have is to connect the 5v 3 pin fan lead to the Akasa controllers 5v argb accessories lead but need an adaptor to do this. Can anyone tell me if a lead to connect the two 3 pin plugs in the photos is available.
Thanks
Greg

Soldato
Trying to get my my head around DRGB and RGB .... I've got corsair vengence pro which works well with icue but not so with aura sync plugin

Should I go for the fans mentioned above or ' Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB PRO, RGB LED, Low-Noise, High Airflow, Case Cooling Fan (Triple Pack), 120 mm ' ?

Thanks in advance

Man of Honour
https://imgur.com/a/pT3M3Z8
The idea I have is to connect the 5v 3 pin fan lead to the Akasa controllers 5v argb accessories lead but need an adaptor to do this. Can anyone tell me if a lead to connect the two 3 pin plugs in the photos is available.
Thanks
Greg

Those are non-standard 5v fan cables, probably solely for their own controller - you wont find an off the shelf adapter for them.

Standard 5v rgb connectors go : pin/space/pin/pin.

It looks like you have the first ones i mentioned above, but with a missing control box for the rgb.

Associate
OP
Trying to get my my head around DRGB and RGB .... I've got corsair vengence pro which works well with icue but not so with aura sync plugin

Should I go for the fans mentioned above or ' Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB PRO, RGB LED, Low-Noise, High Airflow, Case Cooling Fan (Triple Pack), 120 mm ' ?

Thanks in advance
Wish I could help but its all new to me, sorry.
ATB
Greg

Associate
OP
Those are non-standard 5v fan cables, probably solely for their own controller - you wont find an off the shelf adapter for them.

Standard 5v rgb connectors go : pin/space/pin/pin.

It looks like you have the first ones i mentioned above, but with a missing control box for the rgb.
Thanks for the info, I guess I could fit new connecors, is it the connector in the single photo or the one in the other two photos that is non standard?
ATB
Greg

Associate
OP
Finally got the argb fans to light up, I left the PWM fan connectors on the mobo headers & used the Akasa Vegas argb controller for the 3 pin 5v connectors. To connect the fans to the control unit cables, I bought some 3 pin rgb to vdg converters (the vdg connector fits the Akasa jst sm connector ok).
Thanks to everyone for your input.
ATB
Greg

Back
Top Bottom