• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics Card Warranties (UK Only) - Let's see how good they really are!

Soldato
I was planning on Gigabyte for their UK RMA, but not sure if they're still as good as they used to be.

Was also looking at EVGA (if I went for the 2070s), but not sure if they still offer the 5+ years warranty.

Powercolor look to make awesome cards (5700XT), but don't fancy waiting a month if it goes faulty.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Gigabyte still have a UK RMA in Milton Keynes. Their turn around probably has not changed much, but could be a bit slower now due to COVID 19. They do ask for you to pay to send the card to them and I think they ask for you to provide a prepaid label for return also, so keep that in mind. It can end up costing north of £30 as the item needs to be insured for transit. You can always go the longer route and go through the retailer though.

EVGA warranty is not what it used to be from what I understand.

Associate
Doubt it, EVGA apparently no longer do UK warranty and expect you to pay to send it to them internationally. Your best bet is to ask here for whoever manufacturers card you are going for.

They do not - They closed their Preston office going on 8 months ago.
And they do now expect you to ship to Germany out of pocket if the RMA isn't a "special circumstance" (Usually a failure within a few weeks from receiving or multiple failures (I straight up asked if they were covering it)).
Their testing of refurbished cards seems a little bit flaky too.

I do get the feeling EVGA isn't what it once was.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
And they do now expect you to ship to Germany out of pocket if the RMA isn't a "special circumstance" (Usually a failure within a few weeks from receiving or multiple failures (I straight up asked if they were covering it)).

Yeah. Will not be considering them. Premium price without premium warranty it seems now.

Associate
The cards are still good. But yeah, I'll be on my 4th 2080ti when this RMA comes back. Wouldn't want to be paying international shipping every time.

With my first card since it was within a month of purchase they should have given me a brand new card but they didn't, Citing stock, despite them still being for sale everywhere, but I'd guess it's internal stock. I got given an obviously used card with a few scuffs and scratches. When you have to RMA a brand new card that still has the plastic film on places, you shouldn't get an obviously used card back in my opinion.

I've heard things about them upgrading cards & providing extra warranty but who knows. This is the first time I've had so many issues with a GPU..

I could be incredibly unlucky so don't just take my issues as gospel, but I wouldn't be jumping straight to EVGA next time.

Last edited:
Soldato
The cards are still good. But yeah, I'll be on my 4th 2080ti when this RMA comes back. Wouldn't want to be paying international shipping every time.

With my first card since it was within a month of purchase they should have given me a brand new card but they didn't, Citing stock, despite them still being for sale everywhere, but I'd guess it's internal stock. I got given an obviously used card with a few scuffs and scratches. When you have to RMA a brand new card that still has the plastic film on places, you shouldn't get an obviously used card back in my opinion.

I've heard things about them upgrading cards & providing extra warranty but who knows. This is the first time I've had so many issues with a GPU..

I could be incredibly lucky so don't just take my issues as gospel, but I wouldn't be jumping straight to EVGA next time.

Four cards is terrible, especially for what they cost!

Soldato
Powercolor look to make awesome cards (5700XT), but don't fancy waiting a month if it goes faulty.

With Powercolor you need to make sure you're buying from a half decent retailer and then allow the full month for turnaround. Their RMA is near non-existent in the UK in my experience and they'll just run the clock down and wait for you to badger them after 28 days.

This is why you want a good retailer, because that's who you're going to be dealing with.

Associate

That’s a shame they were my number one choice for the new nvidia cards when released.

Soldato
If it is handled by the retailer I think we need another column to see which ones actually send a replacement instead of a partial refund.

Soldato

I could be incredibly unlucky so don't just take my issues as gospel, but I wouldn't be jumping straight to EVGA next time.

If that happened to me, I know its aggressive, but I would have gone to the retailer, if the retailer then also refused a new replacement then its chargeback time. A month old card shouldnt be a used card in replacement.

When I sent WD my just over 3 year old out of warranty HDD, I got a brand new one in return, how it should be done when customer satisfaction is valued.

Caporegime
When I sent WD my just over 3 year old out of warranty HDD, I got a brand new one in return, how it should be done when customer satisfaction is valued.

A HDD is comparatively much cheaper though and probably not as easy to repair vs a gpu. I'd say most gpu's going back to evga or gigabyte are replaced with refurb units as sometimes it can just be a dodgy board component that needs replaced.

Not ideal especially after a month but it seems to be the way things are currently =/

Soldato

EVGA is Murica only now more or less, gave up on the EU. Was a EVGA fanboy, bought all their stuff, but outside of graphics cards and a few PSUs, that is it. Their EU store has been MIA for months now, screw them.

Soldato
So for cards you have to send back yourself, to somewhere in the EU, are we going to get shafted even more with that at the end of the year?

Is there a custom declaration that says "repair" or whatever and vat was already paid for with original purchase so no vat? or will we get shafted with customs trying to charge vat on the rma + courier ransom fee for package?

Soldato
So for cards you have to send back yourself, to somewhere in the EU, are we going to get shafted even more with that at the end of the year?

Is there a custom declaration that says "repair" or whatever and vat was already paid for with original purchase so no vat? or will we get shafted with customs trying to charge vat on the rma + courier ransom fee for package?

There is a customs decoration for sending items for repair or warranty replacements, however they do not cover all the costs. NZXT sent me a replacement directly from the US, and it was marked as warranty replacement, but I still had to pay a "processing fee" to have it released from customs by the courier.

Given the uncertainty it makes no sense to buy any product that doesn't have a UK-based RMA centre right now.

Soldato
Given the uncertainty it makes no sense to buy any product that doesn't have a UK-based RMA centre right now.

We really should be supporting companies that do this regardless of Brexit, being able to send the card to a UK base saves a lot of time, hassle and money.

Soldato
There is a customs decoration for sending items for repair or warranty replacements, however they do not cover all the costs. NZXT sent me a replacement directly from the US, and it was marked as warranty replacement, but I still had to pay a "processing fee" to have it released from customs by the courier.

Am I misreading something? Does OC not cover the whole period?

Soldato
We really should be supporting companies that do this regardless of Brexit, being able to send the card to a UK base saves a lot of time, hassle and money.

True, but I do wonder still why it is so important to people, to me a defective GPU will be apparent very quickly after you start using it, and if you returning that early, then you return to the retailer.

I do wonder what kind of situations are happening that some one has a working GPU for 2 years or so and then it stops working, are they over volting, overclocking aggressively, unsafe shutdowns, deliberate damage because lost silicon lottery, deliberate damage to get a newer gen card in exchange? As I have never ever experienced a failed GPU that wasnt already defective on purchase. Same with cpu's. With that said I have now remembered after submitting the post, that the new 20xx nvidia gpu's have that progressive fault where it shows after a period of time. Although that still normally happens within a few months?

I am now wary of storage hardware though, I had a WD hdd fail some months back, my 850 pro ssd broke, and my new 970 evo m.2 ssd now has a media data integrity error in its smart stats, which doesnt bode well either. Experience with samsung RMA was horrible, they paid for shipping but the impression I got is they fight really hard to avoid processing RMA claims, they waited until the drive completely failed. WD I had to pay for shipping one way, but they did accept the drive outside of warranty period, didnt give me hassle, accepted failure based on smart stats, and was shipped a brand new replacement. I feel storage is risky as the tech in them is now rapidly changing, MLC to TLC to QLC, 2d nand to 3d nand, hdd's shifting to SMR as well as other tricks to get round capacity issues, and its no surprise to see reliability data shows a declining trend.

In my view, warranty means making sure the customer is not financially hit by a product failure, which should mean company paying for shipping if RMA is approved, and it also should mean a like for like replacement (or better) in my view, so if you sending something back 3 years old, then getting a refurb is a bit more tolerable, but something thats a month old should for sure be getting a refund or brand new replacement. In terms of the RMA centre, I feel there is no excuse to not have somewhere within the UK to send products to, even if the repair centre is overseas given custom issues and shipping costs, they should have a UK postal address, and then the company themselves ship from there to wherever their overseas location is. The customer shouldnt be paying the price for them choosing to not have a UK presence.

Back
Top Bottom