£10 to cancel auto-renew - wtf

Soldato
Im sure the double glaze salemen of the 90's would be proud of this one!

Renewal Cancellations
As per section 34 of our Terms and Conditions, which you accepted and opted into at point of purchase, your policy is an automatically renewing policy. Under your continuous payment authority, granted at section 26 of our Terms and Conditions, we will automatically debit your card up to 7 days prior to the expiry of your policy for your next years premiums. If you have received your renewal invite and wish to opt out of auto-renewal then as per section 33 of our Terms and Conditions, you are required to pay a £4.99 administration fee to have your policy taken out of the renewal cycle. If you fail to follow the process and your card is debited, please note that premiums charged to your card are non-refundable.To cancel your auto-renewal, please select ‘Auto Renewal - Cancel auto renewed policy' as your reason code for cancellation.
What happens and when?
To process a cancellation there is a £4.99 administration fee payable to Nova Direct and a £4.99 fee payable to the Insurer PEX Insure, who are the policy administrators.

Yeah im aware, should have read the full t&c's when i took it out but surely this sort of practise has no legal standing?!

edit having scoured the ~8-10 documents they sent when signing up there is no section 34, very tempted to cancel any dd and report any charges as fraudulent.

Last edited:
Soldato
Im sure the double glaze salemen of the 90's would be proud of this one!

Yeah im aware, should have read the full t&c's when i took it out but surely this sort of practise has no legal standing?!

edit having scoured the ~8-10 documents they sent when signing up there is no section 34, very tempted to cancel any dd and report any charges as fraudulent.

33. Your cancellation rights
If you are a private (non-commercial) customer, you have the right to cancel a new policy within 14 days of when you purchase your policy subject to payment of the cancellation administration fee regardless of time on cover. Please note that the 14 day cooling off period does not provide for a full refund without any fees being payable. To process a refund, payment of the cancellation fee is required before the cancellation can be processed. If the cancellation fee is paid outside of the 14 day period no refund of premiums will be given. Please note that the 14 day period applies to the purchase date and not the policy start date.

If you apply for cancellation after a claim has been made against your policy, regardless of whether your policy is still within the 14 day cooling off period and regardless of whether the claim was successful, please note that no refund of premiums will be issued.

If your policy has been renewed the 14 day cooling off period will not apply and no refund of premiums will be given as per your policy wording post cancellation. We will not pay a pro-rata refund of premium following any cancellation outside of the 14 day cooling off period. Verbal requests for cancellation are not accepted. To cancel your policy please go to https://www.nova-direct.com/policy-cancellation/.

Please note that if it is found that you misrepresented your risk at point of quote and that the data you provided upon taking out your insurance policy with us was known to be untrue, we reserve the right to cancel off your policy with immediate effect. As per the Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Misrepresentations) Act 2012 such forms of deliberate misrepresentation will not result in a returned premium being given to you following cancellation of your policy by us.

At Nova Direct we embrace a multiculturally diverse work force. All our staff work hard to provide the best customer service around the clock to our customers. Our staff have a right to be treated with dignity and respect. Please note that in instances where our staff are threatened, sworn at or verbally abused we reserve the right to cancel off your insurance policy with immediate effect and not effect a refund of premiums paid.

34. Renewals
You must immediately notify us of any changes to the information that has been provided to your insurers. Failure to provide accurate and up to date information may invalidate your insurance and may mean that part or all of any claim may not be settled. You agree to us automatically renewing your insurance policy annually under your continuous payment authority. We will write to you before the renewal date to explain how we will handle your renewal and will include details of the renewal premiums and any charges which may be applied to your policy.

We reserve the right not to process an automatic renewal but we will inform you of this in good time. Please note that we will charge your card up to 7 days prior to the expiry of your existing policy for the premiums due. This is to aid us in collecting the premiums in a timely fashion. Should your card decline, and if you have not followed the cancellation process, we will issue you with a letter of demand for the premiums outstanding.

Should you decide not to renew your insurance policy with us, you will still be liable for a £4.99 cancellation administration fee, which will be used to take your policy out of the renewal process. You can cancel your renewal at https://www.nova-direct.com/policy-cancellation/.

Found on their website?

Soldato
Jesus christ, in all my years in insurance I've never seen anything like that.

With the regulator focus on the industry at the moment, particularly in regards to adminstration fees they're really running a risk of falling foul of intervention with a clause like that. Its probably low enough that most people won't fight it, but I'd love for somebody to nail them on principle.

Edit: Did a little digging, they're not an insurer from what I can see, they're a broker. I've looked at their panel of insurers and I know a few people that work with some of the companys they partner with, I'll have a couple of chats tomorrow and find out how much of an utter **** show they are.

Who is your policy underwritten by? I'd be tempted to place a call into them to see if they'll wave this £5 as a goodwill gesture (although they have no obligation to do so). I imagine the £5 that this lot are charging gos straight in their own pocket and the underwriter never sees a penny of it.

Lodge a formal complaint with Nova, if you don't get a satisfactory reponse then tell them you'll going to escalate it to the ombudsman if you're not satified. If the Ombudsman takes a look at it, even if they win, it'll cost them a lot more than a fiver.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

Cheers chap, out of principle i've already sent them a complaint and will likely follow on with the ombudsman as it doesn't "seem" right that they can get away with a cheap move. Like you say its probably just low enough to make people grumble and move on with there lifes.
The policy is underwritten by Markerstudy Chaucer who i've been with in the past via other brokers so never saw an issue with Nova initially. the tenner probably just lines the pocket of the capitalist snotter who came up with the hair-brained idea!

Back
Top Bottom