So, what is this going to achieve then?

Soldato
So you’d kneel before someone who is in their position due to being born into a family yet you find it cringey that people kneel to show their support for people who are judged by the colour of their skin?

Makes sense.
Well it's pretty much compulsory if you want to get knighted, not that it's likely to happen to me!

I don't know how kneeling is going to help anyone. How about just, you know, calling out racism wherever you see/hear it instead. Whatever makes people happy :)

The BLM fundraising page pretty much convinced me that they are a bunch of loons as well, lumping ridiculous ideas in with what would otherwise be a sensible cause.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well it's pretty much compulsory if you want to get knighted, not that it's likely to happen to me!

I don't know how kneeling is going to help anyone. How about just, you know, calling out racism wherever you see/hear it instead.

The BLM fundraising page pretty much convinced me that they are a bunch of loons as well, lumping ridiculous ideas in with what would otherwise be a sensible cause.

I think it’s wise to try to ignore the extremes and focus on the main message.

I don’t know how clapping helped the NHS but some people seemed to find it motivating.

I highly doubt anyone actually thinks kneeling down is going to change anything, in the UK at least.

Caporegime
If technology ever advanced far enough to affect a persons thoughts, stomping out racism and other nasties, should it be used?

No, because it would not stop just there. It would inevitably fall into wrong hands and be used to control your thoughts about religion, political parties, everything.

Soldato
Yeah free thought is still important and if someone wants to make themselves look like a racist tit we shouldn't take that away from them. Let them show everyone how horrible they are

Soldato
considering all the BLM protests were kicked off by the police officer kneeling on George Floyds neck then 'taking a knee' to show support seems odd...or maybe that's the idea and I just don't get it...

there's an episode of Family Guy where Peter 'takes a knee' in an episode where he's in a fottball team....I thought it was some time stalling tactic in American Football when I first saw that tbh!

Associate
Do I support a equal society and complete abolition of racism and police brutallity? Absolutely I'd even like to abolish the royal familly just to not have to see them in news article after article every other week as a daily reminder that we do not live in an equal society.
I do think we can achieve a fairer society with help of advancement in technology. But untill we are at that level technologicly It's a utipioa that belongs in Roddenbury fiction and an unrealistic goal we will NOT achieve in our life times is what I think.

As to thought of kneeling to support a cause? Erm it's little too bad for the back and hips so no thanks, only reserved for the TV remote or game controller. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I will never kneel for any bunch of thugs even if the world blows up.
Those cops who knelt should be ashamed of themselves. How much lower can this country stoop.

People do question them all yes, look on the covid forum plenty questioned and mocked the clapping for NHS.

I clapped for the NHS workers - they were/are in a front line job just like our soldiers - anyone of them could and has died.

if anyone asks me to clap or cheer teachers I will be booing - lilly livered load of ********* put in there what you will. Kids should have been back to school .

This country is almost on it's knees - NO pun intended.

Soldato
I was reading somewhere that only about $35,000 as been used to help bail people out of jail, even though millions have been raised. People are asking where the money as gone.

I've never understood who they are kneeling too?

Kneeling means you are submitting.

Soldato
I was reading somewhere that only about $35,000 as been used to help bail people out of jail, even though millions have been raised. People are asking where the money as gone.

I've never understood who they are kneeling too?

Kneeling means you are submitting.

Didn’t it start as a symbolic gesture in American football whilst the national anthem was being played?

Perhaps to them it doesn’t mean they are submitting? In the US, sticking two fingers up like we do over here isn’t seen as swearing, for example.

Soldato
Didn’t it start as a symbolic gesture in American football whilst the national anthem was being played?

Perhaps to them it doesn’t mean they are submitting? In the US, sticking two fingers up like we do over here isn’t seen as swearing, for example.

I think it was American footballer Colin Kaepernick that started the kneeling.

The 2 fingers we do is from our history fighting (the french?). I know we were good archers and when we got captured the opponents would cut off our fingers. So if we escaped without them cutting them off we stuck two fingers up :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_sign

A commonly repeated legend claims that the two-fingered salute or V sign derives from a gesture made by longbowmen fighting in the English archers at the Battle of Agincourt (1415) during the Hundred Years' War, but no written historical primary sources support this contention. This origin legend states that English archers believed that those who were captured by the French had their index and middle fingers cut off so that they could no longer operate their longbows, and that the V sign was used by uncaptured and victorious archers in a display of defiance against the French.

Man of Honour
I'm kneeling for no one.
Same. It's not happening.

I was watching an interview today with Lawrence Fox and he put it in words I could not come up with. I forget the exact words but... In the US kneeling might show respect, support and solidarity. However in Britain with it's centuries of history and people being subjects to their landowners and local masters, kneeling is a sign of submission and deference.

I'm not kneeling. I'll happily stand and defend a black (or brown or white) person against prejudice. But I won't kneel. That is not happening.

Man of Honour
If technology ever advanced far enough to affect a persons thoughts, stomping out racism and other nasties, should it be used?
No. Because why is it wrong for someone to think someone to have a personal opinion? Acting on an opinion might be wrong but you and I have no right to insist someone has the same opinion under pain of punishment.

Soldato
I assume it's something along the lines of... Someone on a PC forum posts something from Nextdoor where a single individual has suggested a communal taking of the knee which hasn't gained any traction whatsoever because it's a daft idea and all of a sudden many of the usual suspects are here getting all English Braveheart about NOBODY MAKES ME KNEEL!!

The level of triggering would be funny if it weren't a decent sign that there is indeed a problem.

Permabanned
I assume it's something along the lines of... Someone on a PC forum posts something from Nextdoor where a single individual has suggested a communal taking of the knee which hasn't gained any traction whatsoever because it's a daft idea and all of a sudden many of the usual suspects are here getting all English Braveheart about NOBODY MAKES ME KNEEL!!

The level of triggering would be funny if it weren't a decent sign that there is indeed a problem.

ok boomer :)

Back
Top Bottom