Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
article on improving HX flushing https://www.home-barista.com/hx-love-manage-brew-temperature.html

The steps of the complete ritual including the "water dance" cooldown flush are as follows:

1. Draw water through the group with the portafilter in place.
    Continue until the stream pours steadily for about two ounces (more or less depending on your taste) since the group is still over temperature when the hissing stops. It depends on the machine's pressurestat setting, but in general the water temperature is around 206-207°F when the last of the sputtering subsides. You can literally count "one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three-one-thousand" to tick off each degree from that point. To more easily judge when the heat exchanger has emptied of superheated water, keep the portafilter loosely engaged and listen for the sounds of hissing steam and boiling water.

If you've pulled a shot within the last five minutes, you'll need to pay extra attention because the cooling flush will be much shorter than if the machine has been idle for 10-15 minutes (on the order of ¼ the amount of water). You may hear only a brief hiss and that's it. Don't draw too much water or the next extraction will be under temperature (sour).

I've noticed two things the operator controls that affect the HX hump, especially on prosumer E61-type espresso machines—how much is flushed, and the length of the interval between flushing the water out of the HX and starting the extraction. The flush amount tends to affect the mid-to-tail end of the curve. The rebound time ("pause before the pull") affects the very early part of the shot, either producing a prominent hump, a flat one, or if there's little or no delay, it disappears completely and the curve becomes more like a rising straight line that barely reaches the desired peak temperature (or worse yet, forms an inverted U as the temperature plummets soon after the extraction begins).

The ideal rebound time for the E61s I've measured is somewhere around 15-35 seconds, depending on the boiler temperature. It is certainly less than one minute since the heat exchanger water is above 212°F at that point for all reasonable pressurestat settings.

I'm usually pulling the shot within 30s of flushing, the idea, that if you pull it too early, there maybe a temperature hump. - hmm

Associate
I've trying to diversify away from my usual Pact delivery and place orders with other roasters to support them.

https://www.origincoffee.co.uk/ - they have 20% of at the minute, so essentially a bag delivered for £6ish (depending on exact coffee).

https://47degreescoffee.com/ - 10% first order

https://thecoffeecounter.co.uk/ - 20% off 1kg orders

I've visited / used the above numerous times, all very good.

Any other recommendations?
Since you're in the the East Midlands outpost coffee and 200 degrees are the best around here in my opinion. Stewarts is also good. I'm using Outposts timbertown espresso at the moment.

Man of Honour
OP
interestingly CoffeeHit have started doing a mixed roaster subscription service - https://coffeehit.co.uk/pages/coffee-subscriptions £10 a 250g bag from a selection of different roaster.(although it seems you can also get 3 bags for £10 which i guess is a mistake).

Although i've just restarted my Square Mile subscription and thats £10 a month for 350g of Red Brick...

Soldato
At the risk of triggering you coffee nerds :p

Before i actually try this, i thought i'd ask. If i make coffee in a french press, once i've had the coffee and then decide i want another, can i just stick some more water inand i'm good to go, or should i really be emptying all the coffee grounds and using fresh?

I do this with tea bags sometimes for green/peppermint tea, where i'll just add water and still get a reasonable second cup. I'm not a real connoisseur of coffee, i accept it'll be a little weaker, but could you get away with it?

Caporegime
At the risk of triggering you coffee nerds :p

Before i actually try this, i thought i'd ask. If i make coffee in a french press, once i've had the coffee and then decide i want another, can i just stick some more water inand i'm good to go, or should i really be emptying all the coffee grounds and using fresh?

I do this with tea bags sometimes for green/peppermint tea, where i'll just add water and still get a reasonable second cup. I'm not a real connoisseur of coffee, i accept it'll be a little weaker, but could you get away with it?

Start again, the 2nd batch will be far too weak. You'd be better off putting more water into it 1st time round or make it stronger the first time round then add hot water to dilute it in the cup.

Soldato
FZAcEs3.jpg

This cortado just came out so nice it needed to be shared :p

Need to get another order in soon, I do really like the Origin Stronghold blend and they e got 20% off again so might stick with that.

Man of Honour
OP
This cortado just came out so nice it needed to be shared :p

Need to get another order in soon, I do really like the Origin Stronghold blend and they e got 20% off again so might stick with that.

That does look impressively neat - although thought it was a very strong long white for a min! I've just got some Stronghold through as well actually, was supposed to be a fill in between subscription bags but turned up at the same time in the end.

French press wise i'd be very surprised if it wasn't horrible, flavourless and bitter, but give it a go!

Soldato
Cheers, i assumed that would be the case. Just wondered just how much weaker the second batch would be and whether it'd be drinkable.
It's not just about strength. Different elements of the coffee flavours bond to water at different speeds. The main thing is this: the sweet and sour type flavours bond to water quick so come out with less brew time, but are limited. Whereas the bitter flavours that are nice, but can be overpowering easily? There is lots of that in coffee but it takes longer to extract. Net result is that overbrewed/overextracted coffee can be WAY too bitter. It happens easier with finer grind size too because the water can get to the coffee easier (more surface area). Tea is different here because it benefits from a long soak often. But I bet your second cup is often a different flavour profile really, rather than just weaker.

Basically, whatever the brew method, figure out how to do it just right for you, and stick with that.

Soldato
Have you fired up the Nichequattro yet, or, is it still just a paper weight.

Now ordered a 4x1.00mm steam nozzle to replace the 4x1.5mm, we'll see if that can resolve the steaming problem,
household swapped to full-fat milk after all the failed trials

Soldato
Just picked up a classic pro; Is the mignon Facile a decent shout at 279 or are there other options worth considering?

Can't go wrong with the mignon at that price, I've got two of em (Silenzio and Filtro). I think the facile is same as the Filtro but with espresso burrs. Simple, well built, consistent grind, low retention. Only downside is switching from espresso to filter/french press grinds is a bit of a pain, if they haven't changed it.

Soldato
I'm rather looking forward to getting hold of some again :)

It wasn't good. I haven't seen a roast so inconsistent siunce I had a Behmor Home Roaster. Some beans were so black and burnt that I could crush them between my thumb and forefiger. Others were very blonde, almost green in hue. So I spent quite a while picking out the duff beans and after all that the resultant brew was pretty much devoid of anything other than a generic coffee flavour.

Back
Top Bottom