Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Man of Honour
As i ended up chatting to Justin about how to make coffee last night for a couple of hours i figured that i might just make a thread on how to pull a decent espresso.

an Espresso can be the base of most coffee drinks, add water and get an americano or long black, add steamed milk for a latte, add steamed milk and milk foam for a Cappuccino etc etc

First thing you need are the beans, i'm using the Skyberry i get from my local coffee lady, but anything thats be recently roasted is good - coffee goes stale over time so try and use it up within a month of roasting ideally. Hasbean do a good selection and send out as close to the roasting as possible.

Ideally you want to grind the beans yourself. Once a bean is ground the coffee deteriorates at an alarming rate, losing flavor within the hour. I'm using the Iberital MC2 from happy donkey (~£100). Its a very adjustable grinder for making espresso, although i wouldn't recomend it for anyone looking to vary between methods of making it as the adjustment is very fine. The Dualit bur grinder is also acceptable for a starter(~£50). Make sure you get something that grinds, not cuts!

Adjustment of the grind is pretty much the biggest control you have over your pour, its all trial and error but you want your shot (30ml) to pour within ~25seconds. The best bet is to make it as fine as you can, this may well stall your machine so work backward from there.

DSC_0958.JPG

add beans and grind to portafilter

once you've ground your beans into your portafilter (basket that fits to your coffee machine) you need to flatten off the top with your finger (or spoon, bit of useful sized wood etc) tap the basket down and "tamp" the coffee down with a tamper. The one i've got here is a reg barber but the plastic ones that come with the machine are ok to start with. you need to put a decent amount of weight behind the tamp (30-40 pounds) so use most of your body weight.

DSC_0962.JPG

flattening and tamping the coffee

the next step is pushing hot (85-95 °C / 185-203 °F) water through the coffee. To do this most people use a coffee machine :D i'm using a gaggia classic, a good compitent machine thats at the lower end of the market for ~£200. Below this your better off using a cafetiere, stove top moca pot or similar. I'm using a double shot basket in my machine so i get more lovely coffee.

The machine should be preheated so it has time to get to temperature, the portafilter locks into under a "group head" kind of like a highly pressureised shower that forces the hot water through the coffee at about 9bar of pressure. The coffee should take a couple of seconds to start appearing and should come out as a treacly looking substance, too fast and the grind needs to be thinner, too slow and you get a "Ristretto" so back off on the gind a little.

DSC_0970.JPG
DSC_0971.JPG

not the best pour, but gives you an idea. My Skyberry is getting a little old & the grinder needs to be a little finer

you should get a nice thick redish brown crema (head) on the shot which will form much like the head of Guinness. Enjoy your espresso in two min before it starts to deteriorate so drink now!

that should give you a reasonable basis to try making a coffee, have fun :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
glad some people like the thread :) again i would advise that the best thing to buy first is a good grinder, freshly ground coffee in any method of brewing is better than shop ground (and usually stale) coffee in a top of the line machine!

Tamper pressure wise you can mess it up by putting too much pressure on the grinds, but you do really need to lean into it to get a good consistancy "puck" of coffee in the portafilter. You can adjust somewhat for the grind level by how hard you push down, but its no substitue for grinding at the right consistancy.

just had annother play with the adjustment on the grinder as i've not zero'd it for ages, the results are amazing :D so much nicer! might put some picks up in a min...

Man of Honour
OP
DSC_0996.JPG

a very strong ristretto shot, nearly took my head off, but seriously flavorsome :) needed to dial it down a little though, so...
MMmm gloopy
DSC_0999.JPG

DSC_1004.JPG

edit: i tend to aim for about 25 seconds, it shouldn't be tasteing burned though, maybe set your grind a little finer...

edit redux: is it wrong to want to buy a new lens just for taking photos of coffee??

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
hasbean isn't bad for buying new beans and they will grind also, just buy the minimum amount and drink lots of the stuff :) alternatively try and find someone locally who sells and grinds for you, they tend to frequent markets etc.

Whittards is annother options but i really didn't rate the coffee i tried from there, very very stale :(

Man of Honour
OP
It can be, it depends how busy the store is and which bean it is. But generally, it's not much better than something like illy from a supermarketm - except you have more choice

i'm sure if your lucky you can get some pretty decent stuff from there(assumeing they roasters are upto scratch) just its not relyable all in all :(

i'd say the stove top ones are espresso, just a different type in a way, its more of a perculator really. do like the sound of a 30s Zassenhaus though :) got to be fun to use...

Man of Honour
OP
On a different note, is there any particular reason the franchise places get it so wrong? I know a couple of places burn their beans to get a consistant flavour - as they buy the beans from various sources. But everytime I buy coffee from one of these places it always justs tastes rubbish!

its mainly lack of training, high throughput and pressure and tight margins but you can also throw in the fact that 90% of people who drink their "coffee" don't give a monkies / know the difference. Theres one place i know that does a really good espresso in richmond thats surrounded by other coffee places, they do their fare share but the costa next door sees so much more custom even though they serve worse more expensive drinks.... wheres the motivation for them to step up their game there :(

Man of Honour
OP
I've notice a worrying trend in many of the highstreet chains where I ask for 'an extra shot' in my capucinno. They simply run another shot through the same beans. Seeing as I'm paying for an extra shot, I certainly don't count a weak, watery shot as an espresso, most annoying.

It's sometimes a curse being a connoisseur of anything. :(

i know the feeling! I tend to come home for a coffee half the time which kinda ruins the idea of going out for food...

With the extra shot thing they should really be using a larger basket but inverably they just don't bother (the place in Richmond - source by the station) will actually pull a whole new shot for you :)

Man of Honour
OP
Man of Honour
OP
I always add a very very small pinch of salt after I've "compacted" the coffee grounds - it helps make it that little bit smoother. Try it, honestly it's so so very subtle but it's a tip I got when I went to Italy. :)

i've seen that done with sugar, infact some places in Italy got a little confused when i didn't want it!, but never salt... interesting, might have to give it a go

Man of Honour
OP
Has anyone used coffee pods? We've got individual foil wrapped Gaggia ones here for pure convenience and lack of mess because people can't be trusted to keep the machine clean. They are good and tightly packed and seem to make a decent enough espresso, just a little small. Caffeine is a bit high for my palate as well so I'd like to try a different brand.

I think ultimately I'll end up moving to ground coffee and waste some time at the machine but you can't beat the pods for convenience factor.

we had the Nespresso machines and associated pods at work and they were acceptable, not great but i can see the attraction in terms of cleanness etc.

Your always going to have the problem of staleness with these though, the beans will have been roasted and ground ages ago...

Man of Honour
OP
Never tried Nespresso to be honest. I've just assumed that because the machines are available for as little as £29 and the fact that you are tied into using their own pods they probably aren't worth the box they are packed in. I had images of fake crema like you get with sachets of instant cappuccino.

your pretty much spot on, they are better than instant, but only just!

Man of Honour
OP
Yesterday I ran a shot of Dowe Egberts through it for a laugh to see what happened. Never really studied coffee too closely but the grind is really harsh and dry and it made a mess of the espresso machine. It doesn't tamp down because it's like grit. What came out sprayed everywhere and was weak and watery. Suffice to say it went straight in the sink :D

if its too coarsely ground (ie for caffetier) you won't be able to tamp it and it just doesn't provide the resistance to the pressure from the machine so the water passes through too quickly & it doesn't brew properly.

Machine wise i've never had a problem with the classic, its a no-nonsense machine and the cheapest Gaggia with the better boiler and pump that make all the difference. I've not really kept upto date with the developments over the last two years since i bought mine but you can't go far wrong with it :) You should be able to pick it up for just under £200

Man of Honour
OP
nice tamper :) i got myself a flat based RB second hand ages ago... but i ended up getting my Dad a convex RB as a Christmas pressy and I'd say it makes a huge difference, much better seal on the side of the basket i guess...

Man of Honour
OP
I used to be a professional barista and this guide is not bad, if you really want to be anal I would say that the air pressure can effect the grind also so take that into consideration. A great resource for this and more importantly correct milk steaming is coffeegeek.com
Now if only people like you and I worked in high street coffee shops I could drink coffee again ;)

Oh one other thing, using a spirit level, especially the round ones, is a good gauge of whether you are tamping properly and evenly. If you tamp one sided like a lot of people do the water will filter through that part of the grind more easily and leave you with half used coffee and a potentially weak espresso.

yer, i didn't really go into dialing in the grind in too much detail, and it gets a little hard to perfect for home users due to the (relative) small quantity of coffe we put through, but you do really need to constantly adjust the grinder to keep the grind right :)

interesting point about the spirity level, i'm always worried my tamps is a bit lop sided... might have to give it a go when the misses isn't around (she already thinks i go too far...) :D

Man of Honour
OP
Back
Top Bottom