• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Regrets going from Intel to AMD?

Associate
Went from Pentium200mmx to Thunderbird Athlon 850MHz to Ryzen 7 3700x - no regrets (apart from dodgy core2duo and hilarious fx9590 on the way).

Man of Honour
4700k to a 3900x will be a hilariously massive increase across the board. Absolutely everything will be significantly improved.

Not as much as you might think in a lot of games going from a higher clocked 4xxx i7 to a 3900X even with overclocking on the 3900. For other stuff like video encoding yeah the difference is LOL but over a spread of games IIRC it averages something like 18% difference stock v stock and 15% difference overclocked against a 4790K.

Associate
Exactly for gaming Intel is still king and for AMD workstation performance working the CPU 100% its night and day between them Intel is way behind AMD in architecture, value and efficiency from what benchmarks and reviews ive seen. Interesting reading the comments on the thread as Im looking at upgrading CPU/MB/GPU (And I also want more cores for work as working from home all the time now) at some point this year and I'm wondering whether to switch to AMD which I've never done before. I am mainly a gamer though so my worry is that I'll have to stay with Intel to have the best games performance but Intel pricing i think sucks compared to AMD and the overall the CPU package from AMD seems so much better at the moment.

Soldato
Exactly for gaming Intel is still king and for AMD workstation performance working the CPU 100% its night and day between them Intel is way behind AMD in architecture, value and efficiency from what benchmarks and reviews ive seen. Interesting reading the comments on the thread as Im looking at upgrading CPU/MB/GPU (And I also want more cores for work as working from home all the time now) at some point this year and I'm wondering whether to switch to AMD which I've never done before. I am mainly a gamer though so my worry is that I'll have to stay with Intel to have the best games performance but Intel pricing i think sucks compared to AMD and the overall the CPU package from AMD seems so much better at the moment.

Your cpu and gpu is smiliar to mine i dont think you need to upgrade anything bar the graphics card as you still have a very good cpu if all you care about is gaming and im not sure what your work is but do you plan on working and gaming at the same time?

Associate
Your cpu and gpu is smiliar to mine i dont think you need to upgrade anything bar the graphics card as you still have a very good cpu if all you care about is gaming and im not sure what your work is but do you plan on working and gaming at the same time?

Yeah probably true and I will upgrade my GPU first and see how performance goes for gaming which is still good with a 4c/8t cpu. No gaming and working at the same time although with two monitors I could try that out :)

Caporegime
4770k to 3700x and very happy.

I have a question though, when running a game my cpu frequency goes 2ghz then upto 4ghz it keeps changing a lot and also during Cinebench it only runs 2.6ghz any ideas? is there something I need to adjust in BIOS?

Cpuz says it runs 4.2ghz on desktop at times....been out the loop a while so this is new to me.

That's doesn't seem right, what's your score in Cinebench?

Back
Top Bottom