• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth cashing in my 2080ti for a RTX 3080? Use a RTX 2060 in the short term?

Soldato
Nice price, I paid around £600 for mine around 10 months ago, hoping to make a bit more than £100, which make and model is it?

Nice rubbing it in there LOL.

I got the ASUS OC RTX 2080 TI Blower, is good for me as expels heat straight out of back of MATX case. Very powerful card. I won't need to upgrade for years. I mean I still will upgrade but won't need too lol.

Associate
OP
Nice rubbing it in there LOL.

I got the ASUS OC RTX 2080 TI Blower, is good for me as expels heat straight out of back of MATX case. Very powerful card. I won't need to upgrade for years. I mean I still will upgrade but won't need too lol.

Nothing wrong with the single blower cards, my first 1080ti was the FE model, just set a decent custom fan curve and it was plenty cool.

Soldato
I paid £825 in early May for an EVGA 2080Ti XC. It does have almost 3 years left on the warranty and EVGA the warrenty is transferrable - I made sure by contacting them and registering it straight away. Have always bought EVGA GPUs since buying a 780Ti

Associate
OP
I paid £825 in early May for an EVGA 2080Ti XC. It does have almost 3 years left on the warranty and EVGA the warrenty is transferrable - I made sure by contacting them and registering it straight away. Have always bought EVGA GPUs since buying a 780Ti

EVGA are rock solid peace of mind warranties for the next owner,
Can't beat them in that respect.

Caporegime

EVGA are rock solid peace of mind warranties for the next owner,
Can't beat them in that respect.

Might not be for much longer, really looks like evga aren't bothered with the uk\eu market. OCUK haven't a single 20 series evga card in stock. Even the evga eu store is out of stock. Some cards knocking about with some retailers but doesn't seem to be many.

Soldato
Might not be for much longer, really looks like evga aren't bothered with the uk\eu market. OCUK haven't a single 20 series evga card in stock. Even the evga eu store is out of stock. Some cards knocking about with some retailers but doesn't seem to be many.
I always buy 2nd hand with warranty left.
Contacting EVGA about anything you get a reply within the day. I asked about a fitting service if I found a hybrid cooler for the 2080Ti I have - they said they would happily fit it for me (for free!) if I sent them my card and the hybrid cooler. As neither the 2080Ti or cooler is purchased from them you can't say fairer than that. It's actually unfair on them and the reason i'll end up getting a 30XX series GPU from them too

Caporegime
Put it this way. If the 30 series is much better at ray tracing then it will hurt the value of weaker ray tracing cards. It's a slight gamble but I'd sell before any hard facts emerge and get back as much cash as possible.

Buying a new card every generation especially top end is never a good way to save money.

Personally I'd rather wait for a bargain than risk it all for poor performance for many months.

I have a 2070 super currently one with the best cooling and I got it for £440 after selling cod for £30.

I don't have any wish to sell it now for pretty much what I paid for it and not have a decent card to use for god knows how long.

Plus the biggest jump will be made in the generation after this. As consoles prove to be a good buy. Pc gpu's will have to compete on performance and price vs them.

Associate
OP
Buying a new card every generation especially top end is never a good way to save money.

Personally I'd rather wait for a bargain than risk it all for poor performance for many months.

I have a 2070 super currently one with the best cooling and I got it for £440 after selling cod for £30.

I don't have any wish to sell it now for pretty much what I paid for it and not have a decent card to use for god knows how long.

Plus the biggest jump will be made in the generation after this. As consoles prove to be a good buy. Pc gpu's will have to compete on performance and price vs them.

I think the pricing with the next release of cards is where things could see a fairly big shake up, I'm thinking that £499ish will bring a good 4k 60fps experience with mostly high settings, performance at the 2080 Super level, with maybe an extra five to ten percent extra performance, with better ray tracing, 8gb GDDR6.

I have fully swapped over to the RTX 2060 super and I have sold my RTX 2080ti.

Currently not regretting it, my 2nd user RTX 2060 super is a cracking card that will keep me playing at 4k with various tweaks, or worse case 1440p.

Looking forward to seeing what the new 30X0 range has to offer and hoping to spend around £500 for a good 4k experience,but also willing to spend a bit more if required.

Caporegime
I think the pricing with the next release of cards is where things could see a fairly big shake up, I'm thinking that £499ish will bring a good 4k 60fps experience with mostly high settings, performance at the 2080 Super level, with maybe an extra five to ten percent extra performance, with better ray tracing, 8gb GDDR6.

Currently not regretting it, my 2nd user RTX 2060 super is a cracking card that will keep me playing at 4k with various tweaks, or worse case 1440p.

Looking forward to seeing what the new 30X0 range has to offer and hoping to spend around £500 for a good 4k experience,but also willing to spend a bit more if required.

What you are thinking isn't anything special.

The 2070 super vs 1080ti was £150 cheaper at minimum and offered the same performance with better performance in recent games.

So if £440 got me a 2070 super. I'd be wondering where the upgrade was if £500 didn't now get me 2080 super levels of performance minimum.

After all the difference between them is only 15% in terms of performance.

So even if what you say did happen it's still not enough for me to sell my card and buy a new one.

I'd want 2080 super levels of performance for £300 to get the same sort of bargain I did on my 2070 super.

Associate
OP
The 2070 super was not available at release of the RTX range, but the rtx 2080 was a similar price at release compared with the prices of the 1080ti,similar benchmarks, it was so similar, I cancelled my rtx 2080 preorder and held out for a 2nd user rtx 2080ti, great upgrade.

But a 2080 super super for £499 could be a real crowd pleaser, enough to realistically game at 4k without too much tweaking of settings, interesting times ahead, just need more news and updates, I see a lot of used cards, pondering the 1080ti that has just arrived, but I think I'm happy with the 2060 super for now, but If a 2080 super turned up at the right price, I would be considering swapping it for the 2060 super..

Soldato

Nice dream!

Caporegime
Time will tell, if I wake up and it is all but a dream, but considering the 2070 super is 499, then the new card is likely to be a 2080 super at least for 499...hardly dreaming..standard practice at the least from Nvidias past releases.

but you said we could see a "fairly big shake up". now you are saying "standard practice" after i proved your thoughts weren't exactly ground breaking. so what is it?

a fairly big shake up to me means 2080ti power in the 3070 for £450

standard practice is 2080 super power in the 3070 for £500

Associate
OP
but you said we could see a "fairly big shake up". now you are saying "standard practice" after i proved your thoughts weren't exactly ground breaking. so what is it?

a fairly big shake up to me means 2080ti power in the 3070 for £450

standard practice is 2080 super power in the 3070 for £500

Varkanoid said it was a dream , what I am hoping for a " fairly big shake up" and the general standard practice as with regards to my reply to Varkanoids comment...a fairly big shake up would be a 2080ti power at £649, £450 for a 2080ti type power would be a miracle/god send, I hope that is the case...., with regards to each others opinions and hopes, time will tell, perhaps lets check back in a few months time, see what transpires..

Caporegime
Varkanoid said it was a dream , what I am hoping for a " fairly big shake up" and the general standard practice as with regards to my reply to Varkanoids comment...a fairly big shake up would be a 2080ti power at £649, £450 for a 2080ti type power would be a miracle/god send, I hope that is the case...., with regards to each others opinions and hopes, time will tell, perhaps lets check back in a few months time, see what transpires..

Well I got better than 1080ti power for £440.

So asking for 2080ti at £450 isn't anything special based on past experience. Maybe at launch it is. But it should be a thing when revised models are made.

In fact you could get the 2070 super as low as £400 brand new at Christmas.

So a year after launch I'd hope for 2080ti power for £400 to be stagnant in terms of process. I'd want 2080ti power for £300 a year after launch for a shake up of the market.

People's eyes are rose tinted towards prices. Especially those that buy high end.

Value for money is where you can tell if progress has been made.

So many idiots on here were complaining the 2070 super was not significantly faster than a 1080ti.

They forget a 1080ti cost bare minimum £600 and was near £1000 for most of its lifetime.

2070 super was £400 at one point and could be had for around £450 to £475 before corona.

Yet peplle complained it wasn't faster. Its 50% of the price.

I'd want bare minimum the same again before I bought another gpu.

2080ti power for £450

Associate
OP

So asking for 2080ti at £450 isn't anything special based on past experience. Maybe at launch it is. But it should be a thing when revised models are made.

So a year after launch I'd hope for 2080ti power for £400 to be stagnant in terms of process. I'd want 2080ti power for £300 a year after launch for a shake up of the market.

People's eyes are rose tinted towards prices. Especially those that buy high end.

So many idiots on here were complaining the 2070 super was not significantly faster than a 1080ti.

They forget a 1080ti cost bare minimum £600 and was near £1000 for most of its lifetime.

2070 super was £400 at one point and could be had for around £450 to £475 before corona.

2080ti power for £450

I am impressed with the Super range of cards, they are great value, I am very impressed with the 2060 Super, I can live with that card and still game at 4K, but I cannot see the prices you would like to happen this time round becoming the prices...If as a PC gamer I could vote for the prices you would like and Nvidia would use those prices, I would be voting for Psycho Sonny, but as with so many things in life, the first rule of business, is not how much do we need to charge, it is how much can we charge, I am on your side with the pricing, but sadly Nvidia won't be.

Soldato

2080ti power for £450
I think it will largely dependent on what AMD has bring out as competition.

You have to remember Nvidia didn't actually introduce the Super line of products until AMD brought some completion; before that Nvidia was selling the 2070 (which was about 10~15% slower than the 1080ti) at around £450-£499 for the longest time.

It has always been like this...buyers won't get good value from Nvidia cards, unless AMD (already) have their products on the market.

Soldato
It has always been like this...buyers won't get good value from Nvidia cards, unless AMD (already) have their products on the market.

Thats not quite true we have seen many times Nvidia being first to the market, setting the price and then AMD release their products and Nvidia reduce prices to try and stem AMD. Talking 5-10 years ago or there abouts.

Also the GTX 460 1gb was an absolutely stonking overclocker when it was released and brilliant value so its not always been like this.

Associate
Don't know, but most RTX2080Ti users should know they're not going to get good resale value.. Nobody buys high-end cards for value... you'll likely lose half the value you bought it for, if that bothers you then maybe you shouldn't have bought one in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom