Should people do more the ensure their clothes don't support slavery?

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Not allowed, cost, education the list is endless and upping sticks is hard enough throw in a new culture to understand it makes it a huge effort. Then we have the impact of all this in the host nation... Do they need un-educated basic labour. The UK doesnt as such but we do need un-educated labour that is willing to work. I would gladly trade some of these people for some of our citizens any day of the week.

Soldato
This is certainly true. Its easy to place ethics at the top of your priorities once money is no longer a factor.

Yep it sure is. I get a lot of my stuff second hand apart from the obvious so i like to think i dont contribute in that way. I cant remember the last time i bought a new phone either. Still rocking a samsung galaxy s7 i paid £50 for lol.

Associate
OP
Yep it sure is. I get a lot of my stuff second hand apart from the obvious so i like to think i dont contribute in that way. I cant remember the last time i bought a new phone either. Still rocking a samsung galaxy s7 i paid £50 for lol.

Just out of interest do you mind me asking if you work and if you earn well above minimum wage?

Associate
OP
Haha i do indeed work and i have no idea what i earn per hour but its above nat minimum for sure. Comfortably if you add in perks like a car etc.

That is the strange thing. Most people who are frugal like this are actually people who earn enough to not be frugal.

Often the people with new phones, TV's etc are people who can't afford it. I saw it all the time and it boggles my mind. Even on that TV show Rich house Poor house, there was an episode with a single mum who supposedly couldn't afford to feed and clothe her kids properly, they also couldn't have nice days out and had never been on holiday. The thing is all the kids had iPads and they also had takeaways once a week as a treat. Surely your priority would be healthy food throughout the week rather than a takeaway once a week?

It's this sense of entitlement that has ruined so many lives. They know there are no reprocusions to spending above their means as the government will help them. Just claim bankruptcy and start again.

Sorry I know that's off topic slightly but this is the mentality that is ensuring prices are so cheap. Even our poorest who are classified as in poverty can afford the newest brand clothes, phones and electronics. The world shouldn't be like that, it causes huge amounts of waste and expectations.

Man of Honour
I've increasingly been trying to source goods more ethically and also reduce the number of things I buy. "Ethically" includes buying used products where possible. I don't tend to buy used clothes (I do donate mine when I replace them) but I will look for used electronic goods when I need something. I also try to buy higher quality, and fewer, clothes nowadays. I have a massive wardrobe of things I no longer wear (to my shame - it was from a time when I didn't think this way). If I don't wear them I am donating them, When things wear out I try to replace them with a smaller number of ethically sourced items. A good example is that I've worn out a couple of hoodies and sweatshirts recently and have just ordered a single merino wool hoodie and single merino wool sweatshirt, from a UK company, to replace them. It has cost far more than several cheap cotton items but I think it will be worth it in the long run.

** I appreciate the wool itself might not be from the UK

Back
Top Bottom