Anyone live in Washington/Sunderland/Newcastle?

Consigliere
As topic obvs.

I applied for a role and unexpectedly have a zoom interview next week (it is dream job territory due to the company). It is based in Washington and i am curious to know what people think about these areas.

I am assuming people live in the bigger cities and commute to the area? I would be using public transport from wherever.

Is there a 'cool' part to live in? :o

I am a Londoner so be kind.

Soldato
Any specific parts?

I've lived in or around those areas for most of my life.

Like most parts of the UK there's good and bad areas, certain parts of Gateshead might be a good bet. Harlow Green for example is a fairly nice area and not far from Washington, excellent views depending on where exactly you end up and fairly cheap to rent/buy.

Consigliere
OP
The role is close to Albany Park if that helps.

Would need to be a lively 'going out' area close ish (public transport < 45mins each way) to Washington.

Just pondering really and thought OCUK would know...fountain of knowledge.

Caporegime
Parts of Washington are pretty rough, avoid Concord lol. As for a lively going out area you're pretty much limited to Newcastle. Durham and Sunderland aren't great nights out.

There's a decent "new" build estate called Teal Park Farm over that way but tbh if you're on good money I would look for somewhere near the coast like Cleadon.

Is the company Nissan, Vantec, Unipres or Amazon by any chance? :D

Soldato
Here's an example for you going off Harlow Green:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Har...0baa49ba992!2m2!1d-1.5285338!2d54.9109901!3e3

Roughly 40-50 minutes depending on the route you take.

It's ten minutes from Low Fell which has a good amount of decent bars, and it's 30 minutes on the bus to Newcastle city centre if you're looking for a night out on the town.

The public transport in the Gateshead/Newcastle/Washington area is pretty good.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Washington is rank. Avoid like the plague. If you can afford it then Gosforth and Jesmond have good transport links via the metro, both have a fairly good 'pavement' culture and Newcastle city centre is a 5-25 minute walk depending where you live within them. Alternatively Washington is very easy to get to via the A1 so if you're driving then it opens up a much more vast area.

Edit: Also sod off you dirty cockney!

Consigliere
OP
Mmm Newcastle was the one that sprung to mind initially.

@Ayahuasca None of those! :p

I did have a 5 second look on Google Streetview and yes...did think Washington looked dodge.

Noted on the other places guys, thank you!

Soldato
Washington is a bit of a dump, I live 5 miles away from Albany Park, easy enough to get to Washington from anywhere in the surrounding area if you have a car though.

Soldato
Unless you have to go through the tunnel, commuting isn’t bad in the north east, why the need for public transport? Paul Kersey would get edgy on the metro.

Soldato
I honestly despise the Metro, I avoid it like the plague.

If I was forced to commute by public transport I'd rather add another 20 minutes to my journey and walk/cycle/bus over using it.

Soldato
The Metro is great if you ask me.

If you've got a station near work, you can live almost anywhere on the metro line.

I personally live near Wallsend.

15 mins to either the coast or town by car, 30 mins if you're using the excellent bus links.

I used to hate public transport, but to be fair, up here I use it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom