• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Hey WHERE are we hmm? Oh an enthusiast forum...

So if I want to stay near the top and do so with less loss why shouldn't I do that?
It's obvious my card will be worth less once the new cards are actually out.

It's my problem so don't worry about it, it's all about GAMING anyway nothing very serious.

And yes people still think their PC is drawing 800-900watts have no idea what it takes to get there. Or that these new cards are going to draw that much power.
My watercooled 8086k @ 5.3 and overclocked 2080ti pulled around 500w

Soldato
Why is it underhand?

I'm not expecting you to agree.

It isn't something I would do because I wouldn't view myself as clever or shrewd for doing it. I think the MM community on here should be better than that.

I wouldn't ever knowingly take the P like that. Is it really any different from knowingly selling something that has a component that will only last a few weeks before it requires an expensive repair?

Soldato
Oh :D

Have a 2080 right now which is overkill for what I play now (mainly OverWatch at 1080p/144hz with a 4690k).

CPU runs at around 70%-80% usage, capped at 144fps.

Was thinking of selling my 2080, looking for a cheap GPU to play at 144hz and using that until the 3000 series comes out and analyse from there.

But I am also thinking of upgrading from 4690k to 4700x so that paired with a 2080 would be a decent combo for years to come.

A bit stuck as what to do to be honest!
Why sell & wait for the 3000 series when you say your 2080 is already over kill for what you need ?

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I wouldn't ever knowingly take the P like that. Is it really any different from knowingly selling something that has a component that will only last a few weeks before it requires an expensive repair?
You've made the assumption that the buyer has been deceived.
Even if the buyer was deceived, the price he bought for is around market rate.
The 2080ti isn't suddenly going to break when 3000 series releases.

So yes, it's completely different.

Soldato
I'm not expecting you to agree.

It isn't something I would do because I wouldn't view myself as clever or shrewd for doing it. I think the MM community on here should be better than that.

I was contacted by the buyer for the sale after he saw the advert, the buyer also offered his card and set the price for the part exchange. The price for the card I sold was current market rate.

Its completely different, the card doesn't require any repair and is under warranty.

:confused:

Soldato
Oh :D

Have a 2080 right now which is overkill for what I play now (mainly OverWatch at 1080p/144hz with a 4690k).

CPU runs at around 70%-80% usage, capped at 144fps.

Was thinking of selling my 2080, looking for a cheap GPU to play at 144hz and using that until the 3000 series comes out and analyse from there.

But I am also thinking of upgrading from 4690k to 4700x so that paired with a 2080 would be a decent combo for years to come.

A bit stuck as what to do to be honest!

Get yourself a nice high refresh Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor for one, that'll push your 2080 to the max.

Soldato
This power draw panic is amusing, especially when my impression is most on here haven't measured the amount of power their rig draws.

Everyone with a 600watt PSU will be fine for a top end card and CPU IMO.

Real question is do I preemptively sell my 2080S and get decent cash on it and buy ampere blind. If so when is best time, considering I have no back up GPU I'll have to use integrated!

It's amusing that you don't seem to have considered a PSU's efficiency curve. Many wouldn't want to use 80 or 90% of their PSU's capacity at gaming load, as the PSU will be less efficient (use more power), will generate more heat and will be noisier.

That's the reason I have a 850W PSU for the rig in my signature. At full load I'm around 60% capacity, right in the peak of my PSU's efficiency. This means I can run it on passive mode (no fan) for lower noise and lower heat.

Soldato
I was contacted by the buyer for the sale after he saw the advert, the buyer also offered his card and set the price for the part exchange. The price for the card I sold was current market rate.

Its completely different, the card doesn't require any repair and is under warranty.

:confused:

You know why you sold now, and you know why you'll game with compromise until a new GPU is released.

It's a moral question, and naturally people will have different views. It's not something I would do, that's the point I'm making. If I didn't want to take a big financial hit on a GPU purchase then I wouldn't have bought a 2000 series from Nvidia. I certainly wouldn't expect someone less informed than me to take the financial hit for me.

Soldato
@Too Tall
I think this is more underhand than shrewd, but each to their own.

I would argue that as long as no lie is being told it is up to the buyer to make sure that the purchase makes sense for them. It's the risk you run when you don't inform yourself properly before purchase or swap. Would be no different if I had to go out and buy a car. I would have to inform myself or risk getting a poor deal as I know very little about the subject. Nothing underhanded about it IMHO. I'll leave the Cambridge dictionary' definition of the word underhanded below.

Link
Code:
underhanded

done secretly, and sometimes dishonestly, in order to achieve an advantage:

"What really made her mad was the dirty, underhanded way they had tricked her."

Soldato
@Phixsator

I accept underhand wasn't a great choice of term.

Exploitative? Is that more accurate?

Surely I've communicated the point? It's the act of knowingly selling something that will plummet in value soon afterwards, and doing so purely to make maximum financial return.

Soldato
@Phixsator

Surely I've communicated the point? It's the act of knowingly selling something that will plummet in value soon afterwards, and doing so purely to make maximum financial return.
Reason for sale "upgrading to the new 3080ti" would be the honest way of doing it.

Tbh though people in the know will always take advantage of those less informed but then again anyone buying a Gpu for £800+ should really be doing some prior research.

Soldato
@Dirk Diggler

Here's another.

Code:
sanctimonious

acting as if morally better than others

You make a lot of assumptions. The buyer even mentioned the 3000 series when he came to collect.

Reason for sale, I have a 10 day old daughter and won't be gaming as much, so want the money set aside to upgrade in the future. Hopefully things will be more settled by the time the new cards are released.

Soldato
@Phixsator

I see what you mean :) though I personally don't agree with it being an issue. But that is the beauty of a civilized conversation, that you can disagree without being hostile towards eachother.

@Too Tall Congrats on your daughter :)

Soldato
You make a lot of assumptions

I was responding to the comments you actually posted, and there was nothing about little babies there.

Sold my 2080 Ti for £599 plus a 2070S.

I get what you say about enjoying what you have, but if the performance figures for big navi and the 3 series are true, the second hand value of these cards is going to plummet.

I'll accept sanctimonious; I do think my morals are higher than that.

Soldato
I genuinely don't think anything I have said has been hostile, but happy to disappear from the conversation if that's how it's being received.
That was what I meant. The convo we have had has been chill :) which is a nice change of pace considering some other convo's I've had in here where the responses feel like they are filled with a desire to crush you and win.

Soldato
My mind is blown by the fact you believe I have been underhand by selling an item (at market value) to a buyer who is fully aware of the release of the 3000 series cards (of which we don't know the timescale for release).

What do you feel I should have done differently?

Back
Top Bottom