• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Dice are the whql ones ok with ur card or same as the newer ones for the issues?

The most recent WHQL, 20.4.2, Seems to be ok 95% of the time but in Destiny 2 I keep getting a very specific error, Broccoli, It's an error that points to GPU drivers as an issue, I really do wish AMD could talk to the high school dropout coders over at Bungie, The constant crashing is driving me nuts, I know it's not a hardware issue as I can play The Division 2 maxed out for hours and hours without issue.

EDIT

Played Destiny 2 for 3 hours with no errors using the latest WHQL, 20.4.2, Definitely the newer drivers that Destiny 2 doesn't like for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Soldato
Also the VRam readout is wrong, last night it said i was using 15GB, the GPU only has 8, this is new with 20.7.2, it was fine with 20.7.1, as you can see apparently i'm using 9GB idle.
I also noticed the vram readout oddity, on 20.5.1 it caps at 4gig like it should but on 20.7.1 and 20.7.2 it just kept going and going, went back to 20.5.1 and all is good again, framerates are more stable on 20.5.1 as well.

Soldato
Well turns out my driver issues were all down to my system memory, Apologies AMD :D

Asus recently released a bios update for the Crosshair VIII Hero, 1 of the issues with it is that it makes my ram unstable at its rated speed of 3200MHz due to the mem voltage, Even with XMP enabled, Drooping down from 1.35 to 1.34 which caused all of my issues, Freezes, Random restarts, Stutters etc... Asus just love to push out a half baked bios.

Had to manually set it to 1.36v to account for the voltage dropping which it does to 1.352 on the desktop but thankfully stable and zero issues since.

Now just to wait for Asus to fix their bios yet again.

Last edited:
Soldato
20.8.1 has arrived

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-8-1?sf236540851=1

Support For
  • Hyper Scape™
  • Horizon Zero Dawn™ Complete Edition for PC
  • Grounded™RS-338
    • The Epic preset on the Radeon™ RX 5700 XT offers up to 9% better FPS performance playing Grounded with Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 edition 20.8.1 versus the Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.7.2.
Fixed Issues
  • With Radeon FreeSync enabled, task switching to another display or application may intermittently cause the desktop refresh rate to be locked to an arbitrary interval causing stuttering.
  • Streaming and recording features are not working or are failing to enable on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products in Windows® 7 system configurations.
  • Radeon Software may experience an application crash or hang when waking from sleep after joining the AMD User Experience program.
  • DOOM™ Eternal may experience a very dark or dim screen when changing V-Sync settings in game with HDR enabled.
  • Hot plugging a powered off HDMI display and then powering on the display, may intermittently cause a system crash or hang.
  • Enabling Instant Replay may rarely cause a system hang or TDR on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • Compatibility Advisor may show an “Unable to get requirements” error message when opened. Users will need to perform a factory reset of settings in Radeon Software for this fix to take effect.
Known Issues
  • With Radeon FreeSync enabled on Radeon RX 5000 series system configurations, task switching to another display or application may cause the display to flicker for a few moments.
  • Brightness flickering may be experienced on some VP9 video content playback through applications or web browsers on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics product system configurations.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Performance Metrics Overlay and the Performance Tuning tab incorrectly report higher than expected idle clock speeds on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products. Performance and power consumption are not impacted by this incorrect reporting.
  • With HDR enabled, Windows® desktop may experience flickering, and performing a task switch while in a game may cause colors to become washed out or over saturated.
  • Audio may experience instability when connected through an Audio Video Receiver via HDMI® on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products
  • YouTube playback may become frozen with Microsoft® Edge player and Chrome™ when played on an extended display on some AMD Ryzen™ 7 3000 series and AMD Ryzen™ 4000 series APU system configurations.
  • Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.
  • AMD is investigating isolated reports of intermittent system hangs while exiting system sleep on some AMD Ryzen™ 3000 Series Mobile Processors with Radeon™ Graphics.
  • Some games may exhibit stutter intermittently during gameplay on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
  • AMD will continue to monitor and investigate any new reports of black screen or system hang issues during extended periods of gameplay closely. Users are encouraged to use the new Bug Reporting Tool for any issues they may encounter.
Footnotes
  • RS-338, Testing by AMD Performance Labs as of July 28, 2020 using a test system configured with an Intel Core i9-9900K CPU (3.6GHz), 16GB DDR4-3200MHz memory, a Radeon™ RX 5700 XT graphics card and Windows 10 x64 with Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.8.1, and a similarly configured system with Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.7.2, to test driver over driver FPS performance using the game Grounded at 1920x1080 resolution. Performance may vary.

Soldato
I got something I would like to test with those who are still experiencing black screens.

1) Open your AMD Radeon software (Radeon settings).
2) Click the Gear icon in the top right.
3) Click the General tab.
4) Scroll down to the bottom and find "Preferences"
5) Turn off In-game Overlay. Has to be done here and not just CTRL+SHIFT+O.

So, I've been running without the overlay active(like I described above) for ages and had no issues with black screens. Then yesterday, trying to figure out some stuff with a game, I turned the overlay on and boom 10 minutes in I got a black screen. Then it happened again half an hour later roughly with the same game. Got fairly annoyed and turned the overlay off(like described above, not just CTRL+SHIFT+O, and not a single black screen for over 4 hours playing the same game. So my suspicion here is that the silly overlay could be causing black screens.

Soldato
I got something I would like to test with those who are still experiencing black screens.

1) Open your AMD Radeon software (Radeon settings).
2) Click the Gear icon in the top right.
3) Click the General tab.
4) Scroll down to the bottom and find "Preferences"
5) Turn off In-game Overlay. Has to be done here and not just CTRL+SHIFT+O.

So, I've been running without the overlay active(like I described above) for ages and had no issues with black screens. Then yesterday, trying to figure out some stuff with a game, I turned the overlay on and boom 10 minutes in I got a black screen. Then it happened again half an hour later roughly with the same game. Got fairly annoyed and turned the overlay off(like described above, not just CTRL+SHIFT+O, and not a single black screen for over 4 hours playing the same game. So my suspicion here is that the silly overlay could be causing black screens.
Yep I'd agree, I noticed the same thing driver versions back and haven't had it on since

Caporegime
Undervolting works great, i'm running it a 1080mv / 2050Mhz.

But i wish it would stick, very time i reboot the volts reset to 1200mv, everything else stays where i set it but the volts and its really annoying.

Associate
back to 20.4.2 I go, getting black screen and reboots when trying to launch youtube from chrome a few times - happens as soon as you press play.

Not been able to reproduce in 20.4.2 yet so stick with that.

Associate
back to 20.4.2 I go, getting black screen and reboots when trying to launch youtube from chrome a few times - happens as soon as you press play.

Not been able to reproduce in 20.4.2 yet so stick with that.

20.4.2 really does seem to be the sweet spot for most people at the moment doesn’t it?
I was updating nearly every time up until that one came out with mostly improvements each time. Now i think i’ll stick with it a bit longer.

Associate
20.4.2 really does seem to be the sweet spot for most people at the moment doesn’t it?

20.7.2 here, gives the best results and least crashes overall (including 20.8.1). Control panel bugs don't matter as I don't use the overlay for monitoring, instead I use HWInfo64+RTSS.

Back
Top Bottom