• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Associate
Finally managed to bag a 3070FE yesterday, just so happened to be on my phone when the alert went off. Fully expected for it to fail by the time I got to checkout.

Just received my braided PSU cable extensions today ... which of course won't work with the FE. 1st world problems!

A2B

A2B

Associate
This happened before Christmas, 3060ti and 3070 dropped the week before the 3080 drop. I think it might be next week now before we see the 3080`s again though I`m hoping there might be a drop this afternoon.

From what I've seen of the last 1.5 months or so, they normally drop together, and normally only once a week (or less).

Associate
Yep, I agree. Received my 3060 Ti today.

It looks & feels amazing, probably due to smaller size and mostly metal parts VS lots of plastic coming from other vendors.

I am wondering, does nVidia even make any profit from FE cards? If we take not only build quality, but also development costs into the account.

Associate

It looks & feels amazing, probably due to smaller size and mostly metal parts VS lots of plastic coming from other vendors.

I am wondering, does nVidia even make any profit from FE cards? If we take not only build quality, but also development costs into the account.

They don't make them for the fun of it of course they make profit!

A2B

A2B

Associate
Sure but they're also a way to set a standard for the AIBs to follow, and also to force a specific MSRP ballpark (not that it worked this time).

There's a story that Nvidia sold a lot of Ampere cards directly to coin miners. It looks to me like they really wanted to get a lower MSRP this time that the miners couldn't massively inflate, like they apparently did in the past (I was laptop-only for a few years and didn't buy GPUs again until now). I think that's why they sold to them direct, to take them out of retail pricing which would otherwise inflate. So the FE's also help set that pace.

Well, instead COVID and supply problems inflated prices anyway, but I think they didn't plan for that : ). So I'm impressed that they're sticking to their own MSRP, good for us but also makes them look good. And the design of their cards is great this time.

Last edited:
Associate

I was really surprised when I got my FE card. Thought it would be very plastic-feeling but it actually feels really premium - definitely glad I was able to get one.

Associate
Got my 3060ti FE today. Anyone else had the geforce now code come in yet? Or I guess they wait a few days to make sure people don't then return the code. or the promo finished maybe.

Echo the others who have said. Hes a heavy little thing!

Soldato

Nvidia does make a profit. However if an AIB made the same quality product, they would need to definitely charge more. Nvidia get away with it as unlike an AIB they do not need to pay for the core and memory uplift which you can of course expect them to tack on when they go to AIBs. The marketing element also plays a role and is of value, all day 1 reviews etc all talk about the value aspect and use MSRP of the FE model etc. However we have seen video's from the big guys saying AIBs are suggesting the MSRP is neigh on impossible for them to hit.

Add onto the fact cooling performance is also solid and exceptional in case of the 3090FE and its no wonder the FE models are in such demand.

Associate
From what I've seen of the last 1.5 months or so, they normally drop together, and normally only once a week (or less).

You are right, I stand corrected, for some reason I seem to remember them dropping seperately but looking back on Discord there was only the December 23rd drop where only the 3080 came.

A2B

A2B

Associate
You are right, I stand corrected, for some reason I seem to remember them dropping seperately but looking back on Discord there was only the December 23rd drop where only the 3080 came.

Yeah I didn't mean they drop every model at the same time, but whatever models they have that week are usually dropped together.

Soldato
Yep, it’s randomly generated. From what I’ve heard Nvidia say to the retailer “you can release the next batch of cards”; the retailer will then generate a link which gets attached to the buy button on the Nvidia U.K. store.

Everytime theres a drop a new link gets generated and attached to the nvidia page. Once all stock is gone it'll simply say sold out until the next drop is due when a new link is generated and the old one will expire i.e. will report url not found etc. Obviously to try and limit bots.

Unlike AMD which when faced with demand simply removed the links to the product page from its main site but kept the same product page the whole time with all the bots sitting on it... they knew where it was it just regular buyers who couldn't find it. You couldn't make it up.

Soldato
I've managed to miss every FE drop so far, so I've setup distill IO (website monitor) to track the nvidia rtx 3070 FE page. Has anyone tried this yet, and did it work for you?

One disadvantage of this is that it doesnt properly support android phones, so you need to run it from a windows device.

Soldato
I've managed to miss every FE drop so far, so I've setup distill IO (website monitor) to track the nvidia rtx 3070 FE page. Has anyone tried this yet, and did it work for you?

One disadvantage of this is that it doesnt properly support android phones, so you need to run it from a windows device.

It’s also no good because you are fighting against caching done by your ISP and the device itself and the nvidia site to pile the retailer to check for stock. You are better better off setting up discord alerts because the bots are looking at the page on an API level. As soon as the API updates with the new URL, the alert goes out. For most people the nvidia site still says out of stock but actually you can buy it.

Back
Top Bottom