• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
I broke. Fed up waiting for a 3080 so got a 3090.

No idea if my case will take it and only have 650w PSU.

Not my best idea
I would have a 750w minimum to run the 3090 just to be safe.

Absolutely! Is it worth the time I'd save having to play the "catch the 3080" game? How long is the card going to last me? 4 years? 5? £350 a year? £280? Then I'm looking at my monthly salary, how much it would cost as a proportion. Trying to make the purchase out to be insignificant. But you know what, if someone gave me £1,400 right now. I think I'd still struggle to buy a 3090. I'd begrudge paying it.
Glad i didn't wait, day 1 3090 launch i nabbed one and never looked back. I can't imagine waiting and playing the discord game every few weeks waiting for the drops, stock is so limited its a bloody unicorn.

Associate
3090 is still available, and given they seem to resell for 300-600 more, it's very tempting to buy one just to re-sell, add that to the money I could get for the old 1070Ti we have in the media PC and effectively get the money for a "free" 3080... when I can find one.

But that's a load of hassle and might go wrong in so many ways. Also I know, scalping bad...

(Wow, the 3080 page returns a 404 now, really gone!)

Soldato
I broke. Fed up waiting for a 3080 so got a 3090.

No idea if my case will take it and only have 650w PSU.

Not my best idea

Haha. I'm the same, caved in and gone 3090. There's no way I'm paying above msrp so I've done ridiculous mental gymnastics and convinced myself that paying £1399 (msrp) for a 3090 is 'better' than paying way over the msrp for a 3080.

I too am not 100% sure it will fit in my case (it should but will be tight) but at least I have a beast of a PSU - Superflower 1000w.

Soldato
Bigmike - Maybe a Seasonic Prime would be a good choice if you can afford it - very long warranty. They are about £160 for 750w PSU.

Soldato
Ok so it turns out the harddrive cage in my case splits into 2 to allow large cards and will still be able to take my 2 HDDs and single SSD.
WRT my PSU I am hoping my mate can do me a deal on his old gold rated 750w Corsair unit which he upgraded to a 1000w one.

Thanks guys.

Soldato
Ok so it turns out the harddrive cage in my case splits into 2 to allow large cards and will still be able to take my 2 HDDs and single SSD.
WRT my PSU I am hoping my mate can do me a deal on his old gold rated 750w Corsair unit which he upgraded to a 1000w one.

Thanks guys.
Good luck. Maybe a good plan if you can get it cheaply. New PSUs cost stupid money atm...

Soldato

Thanks guys.
That will do nicely mate, i had a 750w EVGA GQ and it ran it easy, my system pulled under 600w at the wall while gaming and around 680w while benching.

Soldato

I had to do the same for my Fractal Design R6 when I decided like you to forget a 3080 and go for a 3090 which at least was available for RRP.

I converted the case into an open design without a drive cage to fit the beast that's the 3090, which involved moving drives around and re-routing most of the wiring. I'm surprised my case doesn't undergo gravitational collapse and become a black hole, the 3090 is so heavy.

I have a Seasonic Prime Ultra Snow Titanium 750w PSU and it's been fine for the 3090 so far.

Soldato
Just realised I already had stuff in my basket that got paid for with the 3060 Ti; two Arctic P12 Slim. Irony is I don't need them if I swap to the 3060 as its only two slots :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I'd cancel -£1,400 is a lot to pay for flight sim. Maybe get a 3070 as an interim instead if you want to wait it out for your 3080?

It is your choice, if the money is pocket change keep it, if its enough though to make you been concerned with the spending, then its a case of how much do you value your time for the wait on getting a 3080. The problem with the 3090 it will probably be harder to sell if you decide later, so think it over.

If it were me I would cancel, but I did have a 1080ti to still use when I got my FE.

Same. Got fed up of waiting to have a chance of not getting a 3080FE and got bored of chasing alerts. The 3090 will be in my PC tomorrow. Do I regret it? A bit, but the extra cost is worth it to not have to play the chasing game for another 3 months to me.

Cheers guys, I’ve (hopefully) cancelled. Although the extra £640 would get me out of a five month queue, I reckon once things calm down I think I will resent paying so much more for something I likely won’t get the full value out of.

Well done to all that got cards today!

Soldato
If the ****** fits in my case I'm going to be undervolting my 3090. Same as I have with my 1080Ti for 3 years. Same performance (or even better) with way less power draw and lower temps. Win all round.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
If the ****** fits in my case I'm going to be undervolting my 3090. Same as I have with my 1080Ti for 3 years. Same performance (or even better) with way less power draw and lower temps. Win all round.

By all means give it a go. I did but gave up in the end. Just didn’t seem worth it.

It runs cool anyway unless you’ve got a compact case, but it does pump out some serious heat out the back.

Back
Top Bottom