NAS options

Associate
I am in need of a local backup storage network drive. To be used mostly for photos but probably some media (compatibility with Plex would be good) and to back up coursework etc.

I have been recommended WD Ny Cloud but that seems quite old now and also lots of poor reviews. Some people are suggesting a Synology setup as well.

Home setup is 1 x desktop PC, 1 x Surface Pro, 4 iPhones and 1 iPad. Also have a 2018 Samsung smart TV and ASU’s AC86U router. Most stuff is connected over CAT6 except the apple stuff which all uses wireless 5G.

Need 2TB of storage at most.

What would OCUK recommend?

Thanks!

Associate
You can use a usb3 drive plugged into your router, i don't know what it'll be like in use, if you have any external drives it would be worth trying to see how it performs.

Associate
2 bay Synology DS218play or DS220J would serve as entry into NAS. Get the DS218play if you are going to think about streaming video or the DS220J for simple file share. Chuck in a couple of SATA drives and pair them in a raid 1 for data protection but make sure all vital data is backed up to cloud.

Associate
My personal solution is rather convoluted, but I do like it. I have a hypervisor server which I use for VM's and RDP, I just span up a KVM VM there, installed FreeNas and passed a bunch of disks to it.

Admittedly my personal situation isn't right for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom