BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
I've just ordered the 900mbps FTTP with Zen for my new place.

Anyone know how long before I'm given an install date?

Well to answer my own question, I received an install date about 2.5-3 hours after ordering.

Set for the 21st April, which seems like good news seeing as some people are reporting waiting months for install dates.

Associate
I’m waiting for bt to install mine, they sent a bloke round to change the wire outside and he couldn’t do it because his not allowed to open certain man hole covers lol seriously!

Man of Honour
I’m waiting for bt to install mine, they sent a bloke round to change the wire outside and he couldn’t do it because his not allowed to open certain man hole covers lol seriously!
Yup, if they aren't trained for underground work they have to pass it to someone else.

Associate
Yup, if they aren't trained for underground work they have to pass it to someone else.
Just annoying when you wait a month for your booking and then someone turns up to say they can’t do it, I mean do they not tell the subtractors anything. Got to wait another 3 weeks now for someone else to come, apparently the bloke had 3 jobs before mine that he couldn’t do for the same reason.

Associate
Finally, ordered 19th December and now today finally have my 500/70 zen service installed.

Done a speed test, 510 down 74 up with latency of 4ms so very happy

In the end the guy didn't even put the ONT on the wall and opted to just leave it in my underdesk shelf anyway, dunno why I had to wait 3 months to get someone to barely be in the house 10 minutes but hey ho

Soldato
I placed an order day before last for fttp 900/150 on BT for £49.99 (£105 cashback via TCP).

3 vans pulled up yesterday outside the house to assess putting down the cable and should be installed on 22/4. Will stay with VM for an extra week just in case!

Man of Honour
My Zen connection appears quite poor, I've had it a few weeks and noticed packet loss over the past few days. It might be the RJ11 cable between the BT faceplate and my modem so I've ordered another however I've also opened up a fault with Zen.

Soldato
Moving into a new build in 2 weeks and the fibre went active today, can't decide between Zen/BT - BT are much cheaper + cashback options but I hear good things about Zen support.

It's all the same line end of the day though right so other than a static IP is there any reason not to take the cheaper deal?

Associate
Moving into a new build in 2 weeks and the fibre went active today, can't decide between Zen/BT - BT are much cheaper + cashback options but I hear good things about Zen support.

It's all the same line end of the day though right so other than a static IP is there any reason not to take the cheaper deal?

I went for Zen mostly because I wanted things like the static IP and their service seems more geared towards power users.

I feel like if you have issues with BT, you're just another idiot calling their support line but problems are rare of course, so I guess it depends how important the price is to you.

Soldato
I went for Zen mostly because I wanted things like the static IP and their service seems more geared towards power users.

I feel like if you have issues with BT, you're just another idiot calling their support line but problems are rare of course, so I guess it depends how important the price is to you.

Assume there are no issues with using a 3rd party router over their own either? I'd expect not but good to check.

Associate
Hope we get some more FTTP locations from Openreach soon, well overdue an update now.

There's been a massive wave of contractors working on the BT poles around here recently, I assumed they were preparing for FTTP.

Assume there are no issues with using a 3rd party router over their own either? I'd expect not but good to check.

I've not moved into the new place with FTTP yet, but my understanding is it's just PPPoE as VaderDSL points out.

Man of Honour
My Zen connection appears quite poor, I've had it a few weeks and noticed packet loss over the past few days. It might be the RJ11 cable between the BT faceplate and my modem so I've ordered another however I've also opened up a fault with Zen.

Determined to rule out all of my own equipment, I've replaced all cables that I can including an extortionate £8 replacement RJ11 cable, I finally decided to connect the supplied Fritz!Box from Zen and the connection worked flawlessly. I've since put it into bridge mode replacing my Vigor 130 and the connection is now solid. So I'm suspecting a fault somehow with the Draytek.

Back
Top Bottom