Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Don
Merrel’s quality has nose dived recently I bought a pair of walking shoes of their’s and ended up only wearing them once. They had rough stitching that rubbed a massive blister in the back of my ankle after a couple of hours walking.

Soldato
Think I already mentioned my experience with Merrell in this thread, got the Moab 2 GTX and either they were faulty from factory or sole separated and started letting water in after a very mild forest walk.

Had some Merrell trail runners too and they started to come apart after 3 months of very light use. Maybe I just got unlucky twice but can't say it inspires confidence, got money back through Amazon though without any hassle.

So as far as I can tell, national travel restrictions are lifting still from 29th March and planning kittle day trip to Ullswater and surrounding area.

Soldato
Think I already mentioned my experience with Merrell in this thread, got the Moab 2 GTX and either they were faulty from factory or sole separated and started letting water in after a very mild forest walk.

Had some Merrell trail runners too and they started to come apart after 3 months of very light use. Maybe I just got unlucky twice but can't say it inspires confidence, got money back through Amazon though without any hassle.

So as far as I can tell, national travel restrictions are lifting still from 29th March and planning kittle day trip to Ullswater and surrounding area.
Yep 29th, it's typical as the forecast for here is terrible, just rain starting this Thursday and going on and on.
I plan to start with my semi local Rivington, it's only 30 mins away but some great walks.

Soldato
Been getting into walking during lockdown. Has only been small though 9mile walks.
I bought a pair of sketchers waterproof boots but I seem to gets blisters on the soles of my feet on the front pad bit. I’ve tried wearing 2 pairs of socks too.
anyone have any ideas on how to stop that or do you think it’s the boots themselves. What would be a good fairly inexpensive replacement?

Soldato
Just posting from rough tor, this is my sort of outing today gentle and lots of tea and nibbles

Screenshot-20210323-213702-com-android-gallery3d.jpg
Screenshot-20210323-113643-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Been getting into walking during lockdown. Has only been small though 9mile walks.
I bought a pair of sketchers waterproof boots but I seem to gets blisters on the soles of my feet on the front pad bit. I’ve tried wearing 2 pairs of socks too.
anyone have any ideas on how to stop that or do you think it’s the boots themselves. What would be a good fairly inexpensive replacement?
The trouble with double socks is it can make it worse not better.
As you know friction is the enemy ie heat. I only do the double sock thing in my Mantas in winter when I'm in the snow and walks less than 6 miles or so.
As it warms up I wear really cool boots, and thinner open top socks.
First I'd try different methods of lacing up, try to observe how you're foot is moving and try to stop that movement.
Different insole might sort it out.

Another thing if you feel a blister coming on, stop and take your boots off let them air for 20 mins.
I've stuck my bare feet in a stream before now to cool down, let my socks dry and cool.
Try taking a second pair of socks and change them half way through the walk.

Soldato
Much as I love to get out,. I can't abide Dartmoor.
Seen too much of the place when serving, just miles of moorland.
Never been, rough tor in the pick is Cornwall, its near the house and makes a change from the coastal paths I do most days, it's handy there's a free NT car park so you can easily do rough tor and brown willy, good work out then still have time to go to the beach

Screenshot-20210327-065001-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

hux

hux

Soldato
Never been, rough tor in the pick is Cornwall, its near the house and makes a change from the coastal paths I do most days, it's handy there's a free NT car park so you can easily do rough tor and brown willy, good work out then still have time to go to the beach

Screenshot-20210327-065001-com-android-gallery3d.jpg
*Snigger he said brown willy

Joking aside, never done much of bodmin moor, despite my living near there.
Used to get dropped off opposite Jamaica Inn, by the Bolventor turn off.

Wild camping can be hit or miss as much of it is private, only the peachy orange bits can you venture onto.

Might have a wander round with my new bag once things settle down.

Might attempt stealth camping, just need to find a large camo tarp.

Last edited:
Soldato
*Snigger he said brown willy

Joking aside, never done much of bodmin moor, despite my living near there.
Used to get dropped off opposite Jamaica Inn, by the Bolventor turn off.

Wild camping can be hit or miss as much of it is private, only the peachy orange bits can you venture onto.

Might have a wander round with my new bag once things settle down.
Yeah I'm finding bits all the time I Havnt done, my biggest problem is I prefer to sit and guzzle tea rather than crack on with the walk, would like to try wild camping sometime, got a 1.2 kg tent but it was only about 35 quid so maybe in the summer

hux

hux

Soldato
Yeah I'm finding bits all the time I Havnt done, my biggest problem is I prefer to sit and guzzle tea rather than crack on with the walk, would like to try wild camping sometime, got a 1.2 kg tent but it was only about 35 quid so maybe in the summer

Coffee here lots of it, just sit down and relax really but like you say hard to get going then.

My Coleman Cobra 2 is really decent, should be for what I paid but haven't used it for a few years now so probably pitch it up in the garden as a dry run.
No idea if the poles are decent, I remember someone at global gathering falling on me in the night.

Need more gear first, got a Soto amicus stove, and a big ferro rod coming so slowly getting there.

It's certainly daunting, but did enough when younger so it won't take me long to get up to speed.

Caporegime
So recently started wild camping, and apart from being freezing - I love it. Slowly upping our distances, first on the lake district and Saturdays just below Snowdon peak (that was windy!). Minus temps in a summer sleeping bag, was very very silly. Though with distance being talked about now (multiple days etc) I'm considering getting a walking stick. Is it worth it? I'm only 34, but I've heard they save a lot of knee/lower back damage down the line. Is there any major cons I'm not considering? Apart from being laughed at, of course!

Also - loving Decathlon for kit. My cheap mat (£40) far more comfy than a friends AlpKit cloud base for similar weight too. Suprising how well they cater for light weight kit, for a fair price.

The down jacket is an absolute bargain, would take some convincing to get me to spend a lot more on one!

Soldato
I'm considering getting a walking stick. Is it worth it? I'm only 34, but I've heard they save a lot of knee/lower back damage down the line. Is there any major cons I'm not considering?
got pair of lekisport 2 section ski/walk poles - great to reduce impact on walking descents, becomes 2nd nature positioning them, used mostly for ski
had got some sorbothane thin inner soles too, inside scarpa/invernos.

I need to check-out decathlon for replacing some worn patagonia base layer caplines, which I use for run/cycle/winter.

Capodecina
Soldato
. . . I'm considering getting a walking stick. Is it worth it? I'm only 34, but I've heard they save a lot of knee/lower back damage down the line. . . .
Years ago I saw a program about Brian Blessed's three attempts on Everest - he swore by walking poles - I have used two ever since.

The only advice I would offer is to go for two rather than one - a much better "balance".

Soldato
I always said no way to poles but on the Camino nearly everyone uses them and they were a revalation, not just taking weight of the joints but utilising the upper body to aid walking (great to maintain physique) and also in the pyranees ect stabilising on the downhill bits

Soldato
So recently started wild camping, and apart from being freezing - I love it. Slowly upping our distances, first on the lake district and Saturdays just below Snowdon peak (that was windy!). Minus temps in a summer sleeping bag, was very very silly. Though with distance being talked about now (multiple days etc) I'm considering getting a walking stick. Is it worth it? I'm only 34, but I've heard they save a lot of knee/lower back damage down the line. Is there any major cons I'm not considering? Apart from being laughed at, of course!

Also - loving Decathlon for kit. My cheap mat (£40) far more comfy than a friends AlpKit cloud base for similar weight too. Suprising how well they cater for light weight kit, for a fair price.

The down jacket is an absolute bargain, would take some convincing to get me to spend a lot more on one!

which model down did you buy?

Back
Top Bottom