• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3060Ti

Soldato
3060 looks a card made for mining/fighting AMD's VRAM allocation, if you need the extra 4GB of VRAM for gaming, then you need the extra Cuda's the 3060ti has, this card makes little sense outside of mining. It's going to be slower than the 3060ti but with more VRAM...

Associate
3060 looks a card made for mining/fighting AMD's VRAM allocation, if you need the extra 4GB of VRAM for gaming, then you need the extra Cuda's the 3060ti has, this card makes little sense outside of mining. It's going to be slower than the 3060ti but with more VRAM...

Will be interesting to see the memory specs with regards to mining. I am expecting there might be a 3060ti with 16gb ram at some point same as a 3070ti with the same?

Associate
I've seen the cooling ratings which are some

You need slightly over 4 GB of RAM for the Ethereum DAG file so a 6GB card with the fastest memory possible and low power would be the perfect mining card.
Admittedly I don't know much about mining but I do know that once you reach the min required memory for the coin then it is all about memory speed not capacity.
Don't you think the slower memory bus on the 3060 will really hurt its hash rate?
Is there another coin that you think it may be good at mining?

On the box it recommends 650w PSU.

Full system draw with the fastest CPU's is 200 - 250 even when overclocked but you will never use that much power from CPU in game. The 3060 will be a sub 200w card.
If you push big overclocks(may not be possible) you might use 450 watts but 400 full continuous draw is more realistic so a good 550 watt will be more than enough. Or a crap 650w but it's dangerous to use such low quality power supplies.

Even on the 3080, for the most part people have found a high quality 650 watt to be sufficient but it's a little too close to the limit for my liking and there are a small number of AIB cards that could trip overcurrent on max power settings.

Last edited:
Associate

You need slightly over 4 GB of RAM for the Ethereum DAG file so a 6GB card with the fastest memory possible and low power would be the perfect mining card.
Admittedly I don't know much about mining but I do know that once you reach the min required memory for the coin then it is all about memory speed not capacity.
Don't you think the slower memory bus on the 3060 will really hurt its hash rate?

If the memory speed turns out to be the same as the 3060ti then it will be an even better prospect for mining than the 3060ti (which is already a great mining card)

Associate
If the memory speed turns out to be the same as the 3060ti then it will be an even better prospect for mining than the 3060ti (which is already a great mining card)

So memory bus speed does nothing for mining? Good to know if true.
How does the 12GB benefit it for mining, if at all?

Soldato

I don't think so, the memory bus is 192bit on the 3060 vs 256bit on the 3060ti so only 75% of the bandwidth with the same spec ram for any memory intensive mining such as eth.

The 3060TI and 3070 are effectively identical at eth mining as the memory bandwidth is the same

Soldato

Full system draw with the fastest CPU's is 200 - 250 even when overclocked but you will never use that much power from CPU in game. The 3060 will be a sub 200w card.
If you push big overclocks(may not be possible) you might use 450 watts but 400 full continuous draw is more realistic so a good 550 watt will be more than enough. Or a crap 650w but it's dangerous to use such low quality power supplies.

Even on the 3080, for the most part people have found a high quality 650 watt to be sufficient but it's a little too close to the limit for my liking and there are a small number of AIB cards that could trip overcurrent on max power settings.

Right, I thought it was total VRAM, now I recall people oc'ing it which now makes sense. Which makes this 3060 make even less sense to me. Admittedlly I don't know much about mining either, I suspect NV will be looking to produce a card to feed that market though.

Soldato
Will be interesting to see the memory specs with regards to mining. I am expecting there might be a 3060ti with 16gb ram at some point same as a 3070ti with the same?

By the sounds of it were 16GB 60 and 70 cards to be released they'd be aimed at gaming not mining, and to combat AMD. I don't see where a slower 60 card with 4GB more VRAM fits, when that's really going to be aimed at 1080p right? I saw an NV marketing slide and it comparing it the 1060 @ 1080p...but if you're making a a 1080p card why are giving it 12GB? the 12GB belonged with the 3060ti...

I think it all fits with my original conclusion that NV cheaped out on the 60, (and to a far greater extent the) 70 and 80 cards VRAM in the first iteration.

Associate
Right, I thought it was total VRAM, now I recall people oc'ing it which now makes sense. Which makes this 3060 make even less sense to me. Admittedlly I don't know much about mining either, I suspect NV will be looking to produce a card to feed that market though.

Yes the best cards for mining have 6GB or more VRAM, memory overclocked to the limit and GPU core undervolted and clocked low to reduce power usage.
The new Nvidia cards do use lots of power even undervolted but their memory is so fast it makes up for it somewhat. The last gen AMD cards have fast memory with lower power usage and are the most profitable right now. Just check 5700xt second hand prices right now!

The DAG file that needs to be loaded into VRAM is currently slightly over 4GB so 4GB cards are no good and 6GB is the new low limit. The DAG file gets larger over time so 8GB will probably be the new low limit in one or two years.

Last edited:
Soldato
I installed my FE last night. First time on the green team since I sold my GTX 670 in 2015 (apologies for the terrible picture):

I can't believe how small and quiet this thing is. The 5700 XT Nitro+ it replaces filled almost the entire length and width of that case, and touched the fan underneath. Need to do a full rebuild at some point; PSU needs to move to the front, cabling needs redoing, and I need to change some of the fans.

Only grumble I've got with the card is the dumb 12-pin thing. I kind of get it. But this card only needs 1x 8-pin power cable. And the supplied adaptor is annoyingly short, inflexible, and ugly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really think my FE 3060ti I got yesterday is broken. Since install getting crashes in warzone. Tried an older driver and just got a bsod playing warzone. Tried a few other games but can be playing for 10 minutes or an hour before it happens. Just my luck

Associate
Only grumble I've got with the card is the dumb 12-pin thing. I kind of get it. But this card only needs 1x 8-pin power cable. And the supplied adaptor is annoyingly short, inflexible, and ugly.

If you have a Corsair PSU you can get a 12-pin cable which one end connects into the PSU and the other into the GPU ( removing the need for the adapter )

Associate
I'm still seeing people picking up 3080's though. But as I understand it the 3060 ti is basically a 3070 with minor defects.
Could it be that there just aren't enough faults in production to warrant making more 3060 ti's?

Associate
Did these cards go out of production? Haven't really seen anyone saying they've picked one up in several months now.

And I check this list every now and then and the 3060 ti lineup is the only one that consistently has zero cards coming in:
https://www.proshop.no/RTX-30series-overview

Not sure but GPU supply issues seem to have been getting worse and worse over the year. I got a 3060ti after refreshing the forum nonstop last year as a way to have a card until I could get a 3080 or 3080ti and there is still 0 stock on all cards in the market. At this point, I'm not sure we will see stock before 2022 minimum

Back
Top Bottom