• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why - "Is 'x' amount of VRAM enough" seems like a small problem in the long term for most gamers

Associate
Fury X was the worst card AMD produced in the last 10 years, it was struggling for memory from day 1 @2160p.

I was so disgusted with the 4 I bought that I threw them in the dust bin in the end.

Having said that if the Fury X was used at a lower resolution and not in mGPU it was a pretty good card.
:cry:
If it was anybofy else, I would have thought that they meant they figuratively threw them in the bin, but since it was Kaapstad it is possible that throwing them in the bin was meant literally.

Soldato
How is that Nvidia shill nonsense?

Your the guy complaining that 10GB is not enough at 4k when you tried to run 2 4k panels in VR on a 3080. Real smart...

Oh look, Wrinkly is going on about the utter crud that is CP2077 as if it is some PC Nirvana. How's is your 3770K handling that 3080 lol.

My 3080 plays 2x 4K in VR perfectly as well as can be expected and only 1 very limited scenario does the VRAM limits manifest. Let me guess your pathetic retort... something something RT something something CP2077 is like real life.

It's quite sad to see because sometimes you can engage with a reasonable debate but more often than not you post a one line troll post about how AMD suck and Nvidia = teh aswum. If you don't like being called a Nvidia shill don't act like one.

Last edited:
Soldato
The vram argument has only started, since AMD released their 68/69 cards with 16GB, now any lower than that, is not enough, its insane that we've gone from the day before those cards came out, our vram was fine, to the day after when they came out, its not fine, we ain't got enough, our cards have been ****** in 1 single day, and whats funny is, we have a card with 24GB, that hasn't rendered the 16GB vram on those cards obsolete, and not one single post saying that its not enough, and they can still run games to this day fine, bizarre!.
When the Furyx was released all that was ever talked about on these forums was how 4Gb wasn't enough.

Man of Honour
RTX 3070 falls flat to 43 FPS in RE:Village. From a normal perspective, you only see 3070 averaging 43 FPS at 4K, in reality, without VRAM constraints, its equal 2080ti renders 77 frames
OK this is a good example of VRAM impacting the 3070, if it's the same benchmark I looked though it's not about 4k res (the 3070 is level pegging with the 2080ti at 4k), it's about 4k max settings and RTX at the same time. Would love to get my hands on these setup and do some tweaking of the settings to see if you can alleviate this. But to be fair the 208ti had a MRSP over £1k whereas the 3070 is below £500, these high end cards typically come with a fistful of VRAM. I think it's better to compare with the 3060 12GB, this beats the 3070 at 4k Max RTX, as does the 6700XT. I simply wouldn't use those settings though because the framerate is too low for my liking on all these cards, which is what I frequently come back to when assessing this, in order to create a VRAM bottleneck you have to crank the settings up so high you are dropping down to double-digit framerates anyway even if you had a TB of VRAM.

Permabanned
Oh look, Wrinkly is going on about the utter crud that is CP2077 as if it is some PC Nirvana. How's is your 3770K handling that 3080 lol.

At 1440p It coped surprisingly well, 45 - capped 60 FPS with everything maxed out :D Why does this upset so many kids 'lol'?

My 3080 plays 2x 4K in VR perfectly as well as can be expected and only 1 very limited scenario does the VRAM limits manifest.

My point was a simple one, that you choose a 4k card to play in VR which used 2 4k panels. That's just simple arithmetic, a fail from the start. So how can I take anything seriously that you have to say regarding GPU performance or VRAM?

Let me guess your pathetic retort... something something RT something something CP2077 is like real life.

You have a problem discussing RT within a GPU forum and whether a GPU is future proofed with regard to said RT?

Man of Honour
I had a Ti4200 64MB, a former clanmate had 128MB and thought I was silly. I was happier having more memory bandwidth from a slightly cheaper card, given I expected to upgrade before it became a significant limitation anyway. Then went to 6800 which had 256MB, the 128MB ti4200 was rubbish in comparison by that point.

Man of Honour
Yeah that's the normal cadence, upgrade every other generation (no need to worry about VRAM as you'll have a new card in 2 years time), but to be fair in more recent years you can get away with running cards a bit longer as the pace of progress has slowed.

Associate
Yeah that's the normal cadence, upgrade every other generation (no need to worry about VRAM as you'll have a new card in 2 years time), but to be fair in more recent years you can get away with running cards a bit longer as the pace of progress has slowed.

And the cost has gone up

Soldato
Most gamers don't have a choice, they get what they can afford at the time. So yes in that sense it's only a small problem for them.

Soldato
Indeed, some of the people buying 3070s are doing so out of desperation I think. I wouldn't even bet on there being something available as an upgrade at a reasonable price in the near future let alone 1 or 2 years from now.

If it was for 4K gaming I would expect increasing issues.

Man of Honour
:D

I can't believe you'd do that, Kaap. :)

It was a moral thing.

It was not just the lack of VRAM, there were problems with mGPU, drivers, fitting waterblocks etc.

I just could not justify selling or even giving them to someone else as it would have been immoral.

Having said all that for single card use at lower resolutions the cards were fine.

Soldato
8GB is still plenty IMO for every game with appropriate settings at 4k 60hz likely for the next generation.

I mean unless you plan on running the game with maxed settings and 12fps like some like to complain with on Microsoft flight simulator vram isn’t much of an issue :p.

People also forget/don’t understand how hard it is to actually make a card max it’s vram.

Back
Top Bottom