• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

30xx Series Founders Edition

Soldato
OP
And yea... people wouldnt accept this in other goods they buy. Imagine being told by car manufacture that your warranty is void because you changed the oil yourself.

Oh come on, at least attempt to get the analogy accurate. Oil is a consumable; there are no consumables with a GPU only component parts.

If you want to try the car analogy then imagine the door squeaked every time you opened or closed it, so you decided to fit your own hinge. 6 months later you try to claim for a new door via warranty because the door you have just fell off.

Good luck with that. ;)

Associate
Oh come on, at least attempt to get the analogy accurate. Oil is a consumable; there are no consumables with a GPU only component parts.

If you want to try the car analogy then imagine the door squeaked every time you opened or closed it, so you decided to fit your own hinge. 6 months later you try to claim for a new door via warranty because the door you have just fell off.

Good luck with that. ;)
Yea mine wasn't a great analogy. But neither is yours.
Your trying to claim for warranty on the part you replaced.
In GPU terms that would be trying to claim for the Thermal pads you had already swapped out.

More accurate maybe would be fitting a different air filter in your car, and claiming for gear box issue.

And my point here is to highlight in the case of the car, the manufacture would need to show that your change lead to the failure.

So if you changed the pads, and then the memory failed. Well, they can show that to be the case.

The big difference of course with cars and electrical components is where the actual cost is. For example an engine parts cost is going to largely stem from materials and parts. Little R&D.

In a GPU... the actual circuit board and chips dont cost anywhere near the cost of the card to produce. Thats loaded more towards the R&D needed to make it.

As such, replacing a faulty GPU does not cost nVidia anywhere near its RRP. Especially as they will likely refrub the failed cards for the next RMA.

Either way... my analogy is bad. But I am trying to highlight how willing people seem to be to take a manufactures word as gospel when it comes to electronics. Something they would not accept for other goods.

Soldato
The memory is rated for 105C by micron so is there even any need to change the pads outside of mining since gaming probably won't run over those temps and changing them is not going give any extra fps in games.

Associate
The memory is rated for 105C by micron so is there even any need to change the pads outside of mining since gaming probably won't run over those temps and changing them is not going give any extra fps in games.

On my 3080 FE I would reach 106-108C on the memory gaming, especially in VR. Not that hard to do it. Still it didn't thermal throttle as that point is 110C. I'm running a 3080 ti FE now, but I don't plan to do a pad mod because as long as it doesn't throttle and is under warranty, I'm fine with the temps running high.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

I've mined and gamed on my card and both use cases see the memory hit 100-106C. No way am I replacing pads; if the card starts having issues then I'll RMA it in the knowledge that I didn't tamper with it in any way. It's down to Nvidia to ensure the components can handle the heat.

Associate
Sounds like you might be confusing 3060 and 3060Ti

There is no founders or FE card in the 3060. Which has 12GB VRAM.

The 3060 Ti has 8GB of VRAM, and there is a founders/FE model.

PNY rtx 3060 12 GB.

Vs

Nvidia rtx 3060 8GB (FE)

Am i using the FE in the wrong context. I thought FE are the ones nvidia sell direct (through a retailer) and the non FE are cards which msi, gigabyte etc release

Soldato
PNY rtx 3060 12 GB.

Vs

Nvidia rtx 3060 8GB (FE)

Am i using the FE in the wrong context. I thought FE are the ones nvidia sell direct (through a retailer) and the non FE are cards which msi, gigabyte etc release
The 3060ti FE is a bit faster than a 2080 super, the 3060 12gb is about the same as a 2070 non super.

Soldato
On my 3080 FE I would reach 106-108C on the memory gaming, especially in VR. Not that hard to do it. Still it didn't thermal throttle as that point is 110C. I'm running a 3080 ti FE now, but I don't plan to do a pad mod because as long as it doesn't throttle and is under warranty, I'm fine with the temps running high.

Sitting here wondering why one would go from a 3080 to a 3080TI its a tiny upgrade O_o.

Back
Top Bottom