• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Who's swapped from 3000 series to 6000 series and vise versa

Soldato
5700xt > 3060ti > Palit 3070 > 3080 FE > 6900xt

The best Nvidia card was 3060ti, reminded me of the GTX 460 but with undervolting being the surprise value rather than overclocking.
3070 runs way too hot and 3060ti nearly matches a stock 3070 with undervolt/overclock.
3080 FE good card but it was still running too hot for my liking and loud.

6900xt is what I always wanted to get as I upgraded my PC and wanted to go all AMD. Runs cooler and quieter than 3080fe.
Dont really care about DLSS or Ray tracing for that matter yet it makes a good attempt at Port Royal.

My last AMD card was the 290 which I had only for a few months been green most of the time.

Soldato
I'm shocked at all this swapping around. Do you do it for the fun so you can review them? Or are you making huge mistakes that you regret?

Some of you mentioned heat issues but surely gamers nexus discovers things like that so you don't have to?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm shocked at all this swapping around. Do you do it for the fun so you can review them? Or are you making huge mistakes that you regret?

Some of you mentioned heat issues but surely gamers nexus discovers things like that so you don't have to?
If you can get cards at MSRP or similar then sell on I’d imagine you can quite easily upgrade for nothing (or even make money with each upgrade). This makes it quite tempting to keep on moving up through the tiers.

Associate
I had a 6800 for a month before selling. Thought I'd switch over from my Gig Eagle 3080 to compare. Traditional performance (rasterization), driver support and stability, adaptive sync, heat and sound dynamics was really very similar. There was a slight edge (5%) in performance to the 3080 at 4k and highest IQ in a few games, but not really material. I was playing CP 2077 and SofTR at the time which offer some RT benefit where the 6800 was deficient so I switched back to nV.

Soldato

I dont look at Youtube cant stand most of the American Youtubers and I dont really trust what they say anyway. I`ll have a look for something specific but when it comes to seeing what others say would rather hear peoples experience at OCUK forum.

For me I saw an opportunity and went for it. I probably should have stuck with the 3060ti as it was the best Nvidia card. 3070 was a huge mistake and the 3080FE thought it would be the ideal card but turned out not quite true. As I said before I always wanted a 6900xt for a full AMD PC this time round.

You obviously dont know about some of the long term members on here like Kaapstad who has every single GPU released ever in a frame on his wall. Swapping from card to card is nowt.

Associate

Well I was trying to run kingdom come deliverance on ultra at 1440p. 5700xt wasn't powerful enough, so brought a 3070, wasn't powerful enough, so brought a 6800xt, wasn't powerful enough, so brought a 3080 ti, wasn't powerful enough...... Realized hold on somethings not right, turns out I just needed to update the game :D now it's powerful enough

Associate
I dont look at Youtube cant stand most of the American Youtubers and I dont really trust what they say anyway. I`ll have a look for something specific but when it comes to seeing what others say would rather hear peoples experience at OCUK forum.

For me I saw an opportunity and went for it. I probably should have stuck with the 3060ti as it was the best Nvidia card. 3070 was a huge mistake and the 3080FE thought it would be the ideal card but turned out not quite true. As I said before I always wanted a 6900xt for a full AMD PC this time round.

You obviously dont know about some of the long term members on here like Kaapstad who has every single GPU released ever in a frame on his wall. Swapping from card to card is nowt.
What was it about the 3080FE that meant it wasnt the ideal card for you? Just interested to know your perspective

Associate
My biggest concern with AMD has always been their graphics drivers. My brother had horrible issues with his 5700XT with regards to the clocks being stuck at idle in some games. Whilst not perfect, I've always found nvidia to have good drivers and they solve reported issues fairly quickly.

Soldato
What was it about the 3080FE that meant it wasnt the ideal card for you? Just interested to know your perspective

Faster than 2080ti power with gen 2 RTX new cooler, half price of a 2080ti coming in at £649, excellent at 1440p and the card everyone seemed to be after what was not to like ?

My biggest concern with AMD has always been their graphics drivers. My brother had horrible issues with his 5700XT with regards to the clocks being stuck at idle in some games. Whilst not perfect, I've always found nvidia to have good drivers and they solve reported issues fairly quickly.

To be fair last year was a bit of an exception between Jan and Aug as the drivers were poor then not everyone had the issue. I had a 5700xt and mine was fine. It seemed to point more to the combination of hardware in your PC but no one came up with a successful reason. eg my Gigabyte 5700xt had no problems what so ever yet people with other makes had an issue. There was a thread trying to compile which AIB's were having an issue and IIRC Gigabyte were the ones people had less issues with. Whereas the 465/466 Nvidia driver series are poor.

Soldato
Well I was trying to run kingdom come deliverance on ultra at 1440p. 5700xt wasn't powerful enough, so brought a 3070, wasn't powerful enough, so brought a 6800xt, wasn't powerful enough, so brought a 3080 ti, wasn't powerful enough...... Realized hold on somethings not right, turns out I just needed to update the game :D now it's powerful enough
Nah, more likely you're just CPU-bound because nothing is really "strong enough" for that game due to the amount of drawcalls in some scenes which bring the fps to the ground as DX11 is too poor for that. So long as you keep shaders setting nowhere above 'medium' you should be pretty good though.

Associate
I went from a 1080Ti to a 6900XT.

I was having issues with DX12 game titles and Youtube videos would go out of sync with the 1080Ti.

The 6900XT, has been great so far with no real issues. And the functionality and form of the drivers are far better than what Nvidia has right now.

I bought a Free-Sync monitor back in Feb, so no issues there. And Ray Tracing right now doesn't interest me until it becomes more mature. Plus I won't miss DLSS, as AMD has FSR coming soon.

Associate

There are plenty of youtubers or review sites from around the world. A few decent UK ones too.

Id much rather take the words of youtubers / review sites which show there testing methodology and clearly outline how they are going to test and evaluate something than what people on a forum state. While the forum provides plenty of good information and discussion, its rarely useful for evaluating a product in the same way. Few users have enough cards to make a meaningful comparison.
People might give you snippets of information like "I get 55fps in CP 2077", its hardly useful data for comparing different GPUs.

What I find the forums far more useful for is the kind of issues that only come from long term ownership. Things a reviewer might not notice or find during a week of testing.

Each to there own... and I guess if you managed to make the upgrade steps cost neutral or even made money each step of the way... why not. But in ordinary times avoiding the reviews and buying all those cards yourself to find the best one would have been costly. (Unless you just returned each one to the retailer...)

Soldato
If you can get cards at MSRP or similar then sell on I’d imagine you can quite easily upgrade for nothing (or even make money with each upgrade). This makes it quite tempting to keep on moving up through the tiers.

Thats the trick isn't it, I havn't managed it so far other than the 3090 which I wouldn't mind swapping in this hot weather even undervolted its still a toaster

Back
Top Bottom