G30 5 series buying advice

Soldato
Oddly enough I have just bought a 67 plate 530e M Sport, 50k miles, for £20.5k. Reading through this thread has given me a bit of buyers regret but in all honesty I suspect I will be pleased coming from my 05 plate Fiat Panda run around :D Anything, really, is a step up form that so I guess it is a matter of perspective.

I do not believe it is an issue on the estate but I was on the lookout for folding rear seats which for reasons unknown were optional. Flappy paddles also may have been optional.
The Jaguar XF had optional folding rear seats. I was fuming when I picked it up, even more cross to see that it didn't have powerfolds. I came from a base spec Mercedes C180 coupe that had all of this, 3 years prior. Luckily the XF everything but the switch was fitted :p I wrapped a bit of single core flex around the latch and jobs-a-good-un. I daftly made the same mistake of not checking on my XE... and those were actually a totally different part, bolted upright :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Luckily the XF everything but the switch was fitted :p I wrapped a bit of single core flex around the latch and jobs-a-good-un.

Amazing! Really makes you wonder why it isn't standard if they're going to do that, at least in BMW land the theory is some sort of 'oh the chassis rigidity is improved without them'.

I wasn't bothered whether I got them or not and my car happened to have them - turned out to be very grateful in hindsight.

Associate
may as well share it and get some critique. still time to run away

Looks pretty nice that. When I was looking at the 5 series recently I wanted the following as a minimum:
  • HK sound (the stock system is a bit flat)
  • Apple CarPlay prep, or at least Enhanced Bluetooth so it can be retrofitted afterwards.
  • Reverse camera. It’s a big car.
From what you’ve posted, as long as you don’t mind not having the ability to add CarPlay (don’t think it’s any different on the 530e compared to the others) and the lack of HK then it looks good.

I’d check those tyres, there’s a mix on the car by the looks of it. Also, the service history, worth checking if it’s main dealer or not.

Man of Honour
Some pros and cons there.

I am not a fan of buying this sort of car with a 4d number plate and splitter on the front personally. Also bear in mind if you intend to use this car for long distances that the fuel tank is very small in the 530e and this combined with the fact it's a petrol mean the range is very poor for a 5 Series and you'll need to fill it up rather more than you'd hope. If its for more mixed driving this is less of a concern. You started off by saying you were after a 520d - a car that will routinely exceed 700 miles per tank. You'd be lucky to get half that with a 530e.

It is, however, amusing that despite the debate between myself and Clarkey above you've actually managed to find a car with Driver Assistant Plus. Which is enough of a bonus and rare enough to make me overlook the awful styling 'additions' more than I otherwise would...

Soldato
OP
email back from BMW this morning

hoping some of the more knowledgable here will spot anything interesting

only thing that really got my attention was the active cruise(that was one of my main things when car hunting)
my understanding is that car play can be added to the pro nav anyone care to confirm?

and Fox yes the 4d plates are god awful and will be removed as soon as possible (private plate to go on)

Ordered Options

01CA

Selection of CoP-relevant vehicles

01CB

ACEA/CO2 Coding

02NH

M Sport braking system

02PA

Security Wheel Bolts

02TE

Automatic transmission with gearshift paddles

02VB

Tyre pressure monitoring

021P

19" M Double-spoke style 664M alloy wheels

EU specific equipment

Run-flat tyres

03DE

iPerformance exterior styling deletion

Alarm system (Thatcham 1)

Comfort Access

M Sport Package

04AW

Instrument panel in Sensatec

04K7

Aluminium Rhombicle interior trim with Pearl Chrome trim finisher

04NE

Blow-by heater

04T8

Exterior Mirrors - folding with anti-dazzle

04UR

Ambient lighting

Electric glass sunroof

Sun protection glass

Floor mats, velour

First Aid Kit & Triangle

Elec Fr Seats + Driver Memory

Sport seats, front

Lumbar support, driver and front pass.

Seat heating, front

05AV

Active Guard

05A1

LED foglights, front

05DF

Active Cruise Control with "Stop and Go" function

Park Distance Control (PDC), front and rear

Adaptive Headlights

Automatic Air Conditioning

06AC

BMW Emergency call

06AE

BMW TeleServices

06AG

eDrive Services

06AK

BMW Online Services

06AM

Real Time Traffic Information

06NW

Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging

06WB

Digital Cockpit

06WD

WiFi hotspot preparation

Navigation system Professional

Single-disc CD Player

DAB digital radio

M Steering Wheel

M aerodynamic bodystyling

Exterior trim, High-gloss Shadowline

Headlining, Anthracite

08KA

Oil-maintenance interval 24 months/30,000 km

08R9

Refrigerant

08SM

External Visible VIN

08S2

Coding of alarm siren (time limit)

08S3

Auto drive away locking

08TF

Active Pedestrian Safety

08TG

Dead-Locking Function

GB Specification

Add Fuel for Export Cars

English Handbook

Standard Options

08EK

Control body

Instrument Panel Letter

Soldato
I'm assuming that car probably has NBT Evo ID5 or 6 so Carplay can be added in several ways - it also depends on what version of I-Step the car is running as to whether it's split screen or full screen (you can get this updated but main dealer will charge you 1-2 hours labour):

- Buy the provisioning off the Connected Drive store - I vaguely recall for between £250-300
- Buy FSC code from one of the various resellers on the web - around €350-400 - obviously a pointless option
- There's lots of cheaper "patched" options available on the web for anywhere between £35-100 - these work just as well as the genuine options but a) void any warranty around the Evo unit if it goes wrong and b) is a bit of a pain if you take your car to a dealership as you need to unpatch the unit, take it in for work and then re-patch when it comes back. Many people take this route as the cost is more reasonable but just be aware of the pitfalls.

Associate
my understanding is that car play can be added to the pro nav anyone care to confirm?

As the others have said above, as long as the car has ‘Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging’ and the ‘Wifi Hotspot preparation’ options then you can get CarPlay. I’d be buying it from the ConnectedDrive store personally if you have warranty or want to buy an extended warranty.
I took one of the ‘less official’ options with my F54 Clubman (had the NBTEvo head unit) because there were no official routes I could take and while it worked really well BMW/Mini would have almost certainly told me to do one if anything even remotely related to the head unit had a problem.

Man of Honour
I took one of the ‘less official’ options with my F54 Clubman (had the NBTEvo head unit) because there were no official routes I could take and while it worked really well BMW/Mini would have almost certainly told me to do one if anything even remotely related to the head unit had a problem.

Did you still need WiFi hotspot preparation for this?

Soldato
OP
getting on a bit now dont really fancy doing the stupid 20+ hour days i used to do. its mainly going to be cover for the taxi business and a bit of exec stuff pootling between edinburgh and Glasgow with the odd jaunt north and south as required.

i really wanted a 530d but the market is really changing and a lot of clients are at least expecting a nod towards sustainability and eco awareness. we all know its a complete copout as it will only do 20 miles on electric on a good day. but thats enough to trundle mr exec from Glasgow airport to the city in electric silence and on the longer stuff at least make it look like we're doing out bit. even though common sense says a 520 or 530d is by far and away the better car for the work we do. a lot of it is theatre, meet the customer in the terminal make a show unplugging the charging cable and at least pretend we're doing out part.
Unfortunately the client base that would appreciate a 540i with minimal silencing is few and far between

Soldato
Sorry I was hijacking your thread with a more general question :D

When I activated Carplay on the other half's F54 Clubman, the guy said that BMW fitted the Wi-Fi antenna to around 95% of cars as standard so you're really unlucky if you didn't get one with it. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reasoning as to those that did or didn't......

getting on a bit now dont really fancy doing the stupid 20+ hour days i used to do. its mainly going to be cover for the taxi business and a bit of exec stuff pootling between edinburgh and Glasgow with the odd jaunt north and south as required.

i really wanted a 530d but the market is really changing and a lot of clients are at least expecting a nod towards sustainability and eco awareness. we all know its a complete copout as it will only do 20 miles on electric on a good day. but thats enough to trundle mr exec from Glasgow airport to the city in electric silence and on the longer stuff at least make it look like we're doing out bit. even though common sense says a 520 or 530d is by far and away the better car for the work we do. a lot of it is theatre, meet the customer in the terminal make a show unplugging the charging cable and at least pretend we're doing out part.
Unfortunately the client base that would appreciate a 540i with minimal silencing is few and far between

I brought my 530d just a month before Covid happened annoyingly - knowing what I know now, I'd have probably gone for a 540i myself but still love the 3.0L diesel and it'll keep me going for a few more years before I bail out of the black stuff. Not sure I'm ready for electric yet - need a stupidly powerful petrol to get it out my system before I make the move - especially if I don't go back to high mileage I was doing before

Soldato
Some pros and cons there.

I am not a fan of buying this sort of car with a 4d number plate and splitter on the front personally. Also bear in mind if you intend to use this car for long distances that the fuel tank is very small in the 530e and this combined with the fact it's a petrol mean the range is very poor for a 5 Series and you'll need to fill it up rather more than you'd hope. If its for more mixed driving this is less of a concern. You started off by saying you were after a 520d - a car that will routinely exceed 700 miles per tank. You'd be lucky to get half that with a 530e.

It is, however, amusing that despite the debate between myself and Clarkey above you've actually managed to find a car with Driver Assistant Plus. Which is enough of a bonus and rare enough to make me overlook the awful styling 'additions' more than I otherwise would...

It doesn't actually have driver assist plus, it has adaptive cruise without the rest of the driver assist stuff (lane assist etc). I've never seen one with that spec it's certainly unusual.

Back
Top Bottom