Spec me a CCTV System

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Does anyone have any opinions on the not-quite-so-serious stuff like Eufy? I was contemplating putting a camera up on the garage front looking down the drive (15-20ish metres tops) with a floodlight, the typical as-you-do video doorbell and possibly an internal camera or two - one for puppy duties!

I've been round and round in circles between all the common "smart" home system people, Ring, Nest etc and my mind is boggling. I like the idea of not having to pay monthly for things; and the newest Eufy cameras can be solar powered which would be useful as the garage is south facing and, more importantly, I can't be bothered cabling it in if I can get away with it!

Happy for other suggestions, experiences and what I should expect to pay.

Soldato
@WJA96 Hey mate. In terms of NVR’s which is better, Dahua or Hikvision? My understanding is hikvision will be updating their hardware/software soon, worth waiting?

Also how does the NVR systems above compare to something like reolink or other off the shelf alternatives on Amazon?

That’s a bit like saying what’s better? A BMW or a Mercedes? They both have vast ranges at different prices and you can pay a lot or a little and get various features that you may or may not want or need. Tasks that need heavy computation like facial recognition, people counting, ANPR or fisheye lens deskewing will cost you a lot of money. If you just want a recorder then they’re all much of a muchness. The basic spec Dahua or Hikvision systems are just like the Reolink or Swann units you get on Amazon. Often they are made from the same components. It’s in the better cameras that you really see the difference. They have better quality lenses and sensors. And significantly better AI features so you get fewer false alerts.

All the companies are constantly renewing their model ranges. If you know something better is coming and you want that new feature, then it’s worth waiting. If not, buy now. We don’t really keep stock. We just order a system when we install them. That way everyone gets the latest and greatest or the cheapest depending on what the customer wants.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That’s a bit like saying what’s better? A BMW or a Mercedes? They both have vast ranges at different prices and you can pay a lot or a little and get various features that you may or may not want or need. Tasks that need heavy computation like facial recognition, people counting, ANPR or fisheye lens deskewing will cost you a lot of money. If you just want a recorder then they’re all much of a muchness. The basic spec Dahua or Hikvision systems are just like the Reolink or Swann units you get on Amazon. Often they are made from the same components. It’s in the better cameras that you really see the difference. They have better quality lenses and sensors. And significantly better AI features so you get fewer false alerts.

All the companies are constantly renewing their model ranges. If you know something better is coming and you want that new feature, then it’s worth waiting. If not, buy now. We don’t really keep stock. We just order a system when we install them. That way everyone gets the latest and greatest or the cheapest depending on what the customer wants.
Yeah. I should have specified. In particular I am referring to the mobile app (UI, features, user friendliness etc) or maybe there is a desktop app? How easy it is to export a clip etc.

Do they all have a simple button that you can easily disconnect it from accessing the internet? My thought is most of the time I will not have it connected to the internet and just use it on the local network, but say one is going away on holiday or something you can just flick the switch.

Soldato
Yeah. I should have specified. In particular I am referring to the mobile app (UI, features, user friendliness etc) or maybe there is a desktop app? How easy it is to export a clip etc.

Do they all have a simple button that you can easily disconnect it from accessing the internet? My thought is most of the time I will not have it connected to the internet and just use it on the local network, but say one is going away on holiday or something you can just flick the switch.

I would say Hikvision’s phone current app is better than Dahua’s but you can just always VPN straight into the NVR itself.

Exporting a clip is very easy. Select it (they’re recorded in chunks of time that you select the length of) and you literally just save it on a USB stick or even e-mail it to yourself.

And no, they don’t really have an off switch for the internet. The closest you’d get would be the toggle to disable point-to-point (P2P) communications which is what they both use for their apps to communicate with the NVR easily.

Soldato
Expensive for what they are you are locked into the ecosystem.

There fine if you just need to put up a couple of cams and you already have something like a Cloud Key Gen2+ or UDM pro and know their limitations (e.g. IR night vision).

If you are going deeper than you’ll be better off with a proper CCTV system from a proper CCTV supplier like Hik or Duha

Soldato
Associate
Just to close off my wittering and questions on this thread... in the end I ordered 2 of 2MP DS-2CD2T23G0-I8 hikvision cams for £50 a piece.

Connected one to the network using an Ethernet cable and around 2 mouse clicks later I have a functioning camera on my system connected to my DVR.

It was almost too easy!

Just now need to site them in my yard.

Associate
Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent weatherproof IR floodlight/illuminator?

I'm looking for something to support my camera illuminating a 30ft by 15ft area.

But also looking to keep spend low.

Happy if it is 12v or mains.

As usual Amazon has too much choice with too much of a price range and too many off putting reviews.

Thanks

Soldato
Does anyone have any recommendations for a decent weatherproof IR floodlight/illuminator?

I'm looking for something to support my camera illuminating a 30ft by 15ft area.

But also looking to keep spend low.

Happy if it is 12v or mains.

As usual Amazon has too much choice with too much of a price range and too many off putting reviews.

Thanks

GJD seem to be most folks go-to for standalone illuminators but you probably won’t like the prices. A small (20m) Illuminator like the IS-890 850nm IR unit is about £100 incl. VAT. They do give a really nice, even, illumination though.

The £20 Amazon ones will probably work just fine.

Associate
Does anyone use motioneye os? I'm setting up home assistant and want to have the ability to view security cameras outside but I need recommendations on wireless IP cameras that I can use with motioneye os, any decent cameras?

Soldato
Does anyone use motioneye os? I'm setting up home assistant and want to have the ability to view security cameras outside but I need recommendations on wireless IP cameras that I can use with motioneye os, any decent cameras?

The general consensus on wireless IP cameras is that if you have to run a power cable, you may as well run a CAT5e cable and run a wired IP camera off PoE. None of the big camera manufacturers make ‘state of the art’ wireless cameras. They do exist, but I really couldn’t recommend anything sensible.

Associate
GJD seem to be most folks go-to for standalone illuminators but you probably won’t like the prices. A small (20m) Illuminator like the IS-890 850nm IR unit is about £100 incl. VAT. They do give a really nice, even, illumination though.

The £20 Amazon ones will probably work just fine.

OK thanks. Will give a cheap one a bash.

Soldato

If you’re playing with Home Assistant then check out Frigate too. Don’t know how it compares to Motioneye but I’ve been very pleased with it especially when paired with a Google Coral.

Associate
Q: Do any of the Ring-like solutions offer a WIRED ethernet connection.. the biggest downside to Ring is its reliance on WiFi and dodgy WiFi circuitry (IMHO) requiring boosters etc

Looking for a replacement for Ring FLOODLIGHT

Back
Top Bottom