Quake (enhanced) 2021

Soldato

Enjoy the original, authentic version of Quake, now with up to 4K* and widescreen resolution support, enhanced models, dynamic and coloured lighting, anti-aliasing, depth of field, the original, atmospheric soundtrack and theme song by Trent Reznor, and more. There’s never been a better time to play Quake.

Developed by the award-winning id Software, Quake® is the ground-breaking, original dark fantasy first-person shooter that inspires today’s retro-style FPS games. Now, experience the authentic, updated, and visually enhanced version of the original.

Experience the Original Game, Enhanced
Enjoy the original, authentic version of Quake, now with up to 4K* and widescreen resolution support, enhanced models, dynamic and coloured lighting, anti-aliasing, depth of field, the original, atmospheric soundtrack and theme song by Trent Reznor, and more. There’s never been a better time to play Quake.

Play the Dark Fantasy Campaign
You are Ranger, a warrior armed with a powerful arsenal of weapons. Fight corrupted knights, deformed ogres and an army of twisted creatures across four dark dimensions of infested military bases, ancient medieval castles, lava-filled dungeons and gothic cathedrals in search of the four magic runes. Only after you have collected the runes will you hold the power to defeat the ancient evil that threatens all of humanity.

Get the Original & New Expansion Packs
Quake also comes with both original expansion packs: “The Scourge of Armagon” and “Dissolution of Eternity,” as well as two expansions developed by the award-winning team at MachineGames: “Dimension of the Past,” and the all-new “Dimension of the Machine.”

Discover the All-New “Dimension of the Machine” Expansion
In the deepest depths of the labyrinth lies the core of lava and steel known only as The Machine. Crusade across time and space against the forces of evil to bring together the lost runes, power the dormant machine, and open the portal hiding the greatest threat to all known worlds—destroy it...before it destroys us all.

Enjoy Online & Local Multiplayer and CO-OP
Fight through the dark fantasy base campaign and expansions in 4-player online or local split-screen co-op, and compete in pure, retro-style combat with support for 8-player (online) or 4-player (local split-screen) matches. Featuring dedicated server support for online matchmaking and peer-to-peer support for custom matches.

Download Additional, Free Mods & Missions
Expand your experience with free, curated, fan-made and official mods and missions such as Quake 64, which is available to download and play now. More fan-made and official mods and missions coming soon.

Play Together with Crossplay
Play the campaign and all expansion packs cooperatively or go toe-to-toe in multiplayer matches with your friends regardless of platform! Take Quake Anywhere with xCloud PortabilityPlay Quake wherever you want with Xbox’s xCloud, available only to Game Pass Ultimate players.*Maximum display resolutions vary by platform.

Included with GPU and available now :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Shame they didn't take the time to implement ray tracing, better textures and maybe try and get that big mod included which I can't remember the name of which has some huge maps (EDIT: Actually looks like there is a plan to include it later).

Associate
I've sunk many hours into Quake Live (still jump on fairly regularly) so have a lot of love for the franchise. I'm not too sure if I'll get into this though - for a start IIRC there was no RG in the original :p also it doesn't have any nostalgia value for me as I never played it.
I hope it's well received though - it's a shame how the genre has died in popularity.

Man of Honour
The single player in Quake is actually quite decent for what it is - I can still enjoy playing through it today some bits aside.

Other than the initial Quake 2 base levels it is probably a more compelling single player than Quake 2 unfortunately.

Caporegime
I much prefer the gothic-horror/ambient theme of Q1.

Lovely surprise to see this; another great bit of work from Nightdive Studios.

Edit: The music volume on Quake 64 seems a little on the quiet side but this might be my favourite version of Quake. Something a little bit special about it. Aubrey Hodges ambient sound is just amazing and the colours, oh my! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Really chuffed this is a free upgrade if you already owned the original :)

Running quake ultrawide is pretty amazing with all the fancy bits turned on. Going to love ploughing through this

One weird thing not sure if anyone else has come across it ...black square in the middle of the screen instead of cross hairs

Soldato
I literally just finished a play through of the original Quake in VR on Oculus Quest 2, with the final boss fight last night. Anyone know whether this enhanced version is compatible with the VR port?

Caporegime
The single player in Quake is actually quite decent for what it is - I can still enjoy playing through it today some bits aside.

Other than the initial Quake 2 base levels it is probably a more compelling single player than Quake 2 unfortunately.
I freakin' loved Quake 2! And Quake 1.

And also I'm in the 1% that even liked Quake 4, haha. My least favourite is Q3 as it had no SP value at all :(

Man of Honour
Quake Live sadly was also quite toxic, depending a bit on game mode. I'd jump in now and again and not play that great for the first 2-3 rounds due to being out of practise so get a lot of really nasty comments - then I'd be back in my stride and give them all a good kicking at which they'd start accusing me of cheating and leave LOL.

Caporegime
Quake Live sadly was also quite toxic, depending a bit on game mode. I'd jump in now and again and not play that great for the first 2-3 rounds due to being out of practise so get a lot of really nasty comments - then I'd be back in my stride and give them all a good kicking at which they'd start accusing me of cheating and leave LOL.
Must admit I've really never understood the appeal of competitive play. I've tried MP in a few games, and it's always the same.

It's never about enjoyment it's always dominated by the "git gud" types. By people who've played the game for years and years and micro-optimised every aspect of their play.

Hence I've been a SP player for life, with MMOs being the only (coop) MP games I've ever played. If it's not fun I don't see the point.

Oh and the real hackers/cheaters are the icing on the cake. A cake made of turd :p

Man of Honour
Must admit I've really never understood the appeal of competitive play. I've tried MP in a few games, and it's always the same.

It's never about enjoyment it's always dominated by the "git gud" types. By people who've played the game for years and years and micro-optimised every aspect of their play.

Hence I've been a SP player for life, with MMOs being the only (coop) MP games I've ever played. If it's not fun I don't see the point.

Oh and the real hackers/cheaters are the icing on the cake. A cake made of turd :p

I never really found much toxicity in the heyday of Quake 2 and 3 - it only seems to be more recent years it has gone from a fringe thing to sadly very mainstream.

Sadly can't say the same for cheating though - I remember calling out several players on it in the competitive league I was playing in at around the time Punkbuster anti-cheat was introduced which didn't go down well - took a lot of flak, then the first ban wave came and they all were caught.

Back
Top Bottom