Doing nothing at work

Soldato
Some of our agency staff will literally stand and stare into space when their alloted task is finished, I tend to prep for future jobs and have a laugh with the girls /women(not in a creepy way ;)) who I tend to get along with better, always been quite reserved and this helps me outside of work so time isn't wasted

Caporegime
Is it genuinely hard to believe that some people work the hours they're paid for?

Nope, I know where they're coming from though. Some colleagues get very annoyed at people who go above and beyond as it makes them look crap in comparison, it's a bit like the teacher's pet at school.

Context is always important, breaking your back in a line work factory job where the extra effort is unlikely to be rewarded or even recognised is a bit different to a higher level career role where it will.

Caporegime
Some of our agency staff will literally stand and stare into space when their alloted task is finished, I tend to prep for future jobs and have a laugh with the girls /women(not in a creepy way ;)) who I tend to get along with better, always been quite reserved and this helps me outside of work so time isn't wasted

The wink definitely makes it feel like you do this in a creepy way.

Soldato
Is it genuinely hard to believe that some people work the hours they're paid for?
For me, it was the way you worded it and the scenario I formed in my own head! Also as @Ayahuasca said context is everything along with what is sustainably on a long term perspective.

Assuming people keep the above in mind, I completely agree you. If you have spare time and there are brownie points on offer then go grab them or do some research which will help further down the line.

Soldato
Nope, I know where they're coming from though. Some colleagues get very annoyed at people who go above and beyond as it makes them look crap in comparison, it's a bit like the teacher's pet at school.

Context is always important, breaking your back in a line work factory job where the extra effort is unlikely to be rewarded or even recognised is a bit different to a higher level career role where it will.

Oh I get that, trust me I don't break my back (I mean, look at the time I'm posting this), but I'd like to think the company I work for get their monies worth and then some. I know I wouldn't be there if that weren't the case.

For me, it was the way you worded it and the scenario I formed in my own head! Also as @Ayahuasca said context is everything along with what is sustainably on a long term perspective.

Assuming people keep the above in mind, I completely agree you. If you have spare time and there are brownie points on offer then go grab them or do some research which will help further down the line.

I definitely could've worded it better.

In my experience you don't really need to try that hard to show management/the company that you're a valuable asset. I've been fortunate to get out what I've put in where I am, too - I have previously worked in retail with a similar mindset and it got me absolutely nowhere; I wasn't coming across as a teacher's pet or know-it-all, I genuinely just think it's in my nature.

My post was more in reference to the poster above who said their work is done by 11am and they game/sunbathe for the rest of the day. I mean, fair enough if that's your thing, but I just couldn't do that personally.

Soldato
I enjoyed it... preferred the repetitive distance driving runs (lots of work/driving but only one place to find) that other drivers didn't want tho...they'd rather wait around for hours at the depot/random local dropoffs etc...my poor sense of direction prob had something to do with that :p

no dangerous goods - any chemicals were always under the volume limit to need an ADR 'ticket'

actually thinking about renewing my CPC since HGV agency work is almost pick n choose just now

Good stuff.

Been considering it myself as I've just done my ADR quite by accident through work and the money seems rather good! I'm tempted to do some weekend work on the side.

It would be the first time I'd driven commercially since driving sprinter vans around for Argos though, so quite the learning curve despite the courses.

Soldato
Leaving my boring job very soon. Worked about 4 hours a week out of 40 the rest was doing my college course and gaming with a break on Netflix. Been like that for 3 years and I've had enough, can't wait to start a real job.

Can I have this job please :p

Could start your own business while still being paid full time.

I've had jobs before where you do very little but still need to be present so can't really do anything else to fill the time. The days just drag and drag.

Soldato
A lot of jobs are boring and repetitive. Most people like that.

The alternative is a job that changes every day and you have to be on the ball all the time.

Soldato
Can I have this job please :p

Could start your own business while still being paid full time.

I've had jobs before where you do very little but still need to be present so can't really do anything else to fill the time. The days just drag and drag.

I'm finishing in two days and start my new job next week, you can have it lol.

Soldato
Edit, in my last job the polish lady early 30s would regularly give me a shoulder Massage when passing, got some looks but seems fine to me

Why do women do this? I get this all the time, even get my arse slapped a fair amount - I know I'd not be looked on favourably if the roles were reversed!

Man of Honour

Certainly it isn’t, I did it in various jobs before I became self-employed, and I worked as much as I needed after that.
However, when I worked for a company, I did the job as well as I could during the hours that I was paid to be there, but I wasn’t too interested in improving the company, and I improved myself by doing “The Knowledge”, and becoming a licenced London taxi driver.

Back
Top Bottom