• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5950x Overheating

Associate
This has been discussed many times but is driving me crazy.

I have disabled PBO/SAM and temperatures although improved.. They're still higher then I would like.

If I have the CPU running with PBO enabled then the temperatures reach 90 degrees.

My setup is below:

Lian-Li Dynamic Midi Case
MSI Mag x570 Tomahawk mobo
T-force 8pack 3600 CL14 ram
5950x (Just purchased/fitted) - Arctic MX-4 applied
RTX 3090 FE
Deepcool castle 360 rgb v2 (seems very noisy)
Also got CF120 Plus case fans x 3

I have taken a screen shot of HWinfo to give an idea of temperatures whilst running CinebenchR23 (PBO disabled)

and temperatures when running warzone/vanguard (PBO still disabled).

I dare not run a game/benchmark anymore with PBO enabled though on the Cinebench tests when PBO is enabled I get 28k multi core score compared to 24.5k with PBO disabled.

I have CPU cooler fans PWM setup with a push/pull config (case fans pulling air in and top mounted AIO pulling heat out).

AIO pump is in correct slot..

I'm completely at a loss as to what is causing it. It's also hugely disappointing to hear how noisy my pc is trying to keep things cool. the AIO is meant to be 30db or less but can hear the fans working hard from a couple of rooms away in the house.

I've also attempted a lower fan curve in bios but obviously lower settings mean more heat.. A more aggressive fan curve will make this thing sound like a rocket ship.

HELP!

Soldato
pretty sure my 5900x uses 1.29v at 100%

My 5900x sits at 68C at 100% load maxed out for 4 hours of stress runs.
360mm AIO with FAns at 30% (1000rpm)

Associate
OP
The 3090 is very likely the issue.

Take the side panel off and retest.

Did this as I obviously can tell (given how hot the room can get) that the 3090 kicks off a tremendous amount of heat. I even went further then what you suggested and removed the 3090 from the system to take out that heat source..

Couple of degrees lower but still runs very close to what it was before.

Soldato
Did this as I obviously can tell (given how hot the room can get) that the 3090 kicks off a tremendous amount of heat. I even went further then what you suggested and removed the 3090 from the system to take out that heat source..

Couple of degrees lower but still runs very close to what it was before.

Then maybe check the cold plate on the AIO and contact with the heat spreader. Some of asetek based AIO's aren’t the best.

Associate
OP>I have a simialr setup to yours but I have a 3080ti and 5900x. I also see high temps and I also have a Lian li mini.

This is what I did. I underclocked my 3080 ti by moving the power limit to 75-80% This limits how much it can draw. I have seen my card draw 420W. This helps lower the GPU temps but wil also lower your CPU temps.

For the CPU I used a Dynamic offset of 0.100v and then I set the PBO to -10 on the curve. In windows set the power to power saving. This should drop it a little.

I also notice you don't run fans on the bottom of your case

Associate
OP
Have considered fans at the bottom but given how noisy PC is already I can't imagine what it would be like.

Anyone local to me who could come help me rebuild/check I've built correctly. I've built several PC's over the years and never had this issue. :confused::confused::cry::cry:

Soldato
i can see your voltages in hwinfo is 1.456v is that sustained voltage when the benchmark is running?

Not possible, if a 5950x ran at 1.45v with full load it would be pulling about 700w and hit 120c+

A stock 5950x at full load runs at 1.0 to 1.1v

Soldato
When I had my 5950x on a 360mm aio even with PBO enabled highest temps were 82c. With PBO off highest temp was 65c

now comparing this to your temps, it looks like either your case has zero airflow or you have poor mounting on the block or incorrectly applied thermal paste or the aio pump is dying/dead

To further explore this, if airflow is the problem then when you run cinebench the CPU should start at a low temp like 65c and then climb up to 90c after a few minutes. If the temp jumps immediately to 90c then your problem is not airflow but incorrect mounting of the block, incorrect thermal paste or a dead pump

Associate
OP
When I had my 5950x on a 360mm aio even with PBO enabled highest temps were 82c. With PBO off highest temp was 65c

now comparing this to your temps, it looks like either your case has zero airflow or you have poor mounting on the block or incorrectly applied thermal paste or the aio pump is dying/dead

To further explore this, if airflow is the problem then when you run cinebench the CPU should start at a low temp like 65c and then climb up to 90c after a few minutes. If the temp jumps immediately to 90c then your problem is not airflow but incorrect mounting of the block, incorrect thermal paste or a dead pump

I'm certainly leaning more towards pump issue.

I'm quite tempted to order a noctua nh-d15 and stick that in (ugly as they are) to see how it compares.

Thermal paste wise I'm pretty certain I've done this correctly as I've done many PC builds before and always applied paste correctly.

Just checked with a piece of thin paper to see how my push/pull airflow is working and seems perfectly fine.. The case fans on the side are pushing the paper towards me from inside the case (push).. And the piece of paper is being pulled towards the AIO fans mounted on top (pull).

Soldato
I'm certainly leaning more towards pump issue.

I'm quite tempted to order a noctua nh-d15 and stick that in (ugly as they are) to see how it compares.

Thermal paste wise I'm pretty certain I've done this correctly as I've done many PC builds before and always applied paste correctly.

Just checked with a piece of thin paper to see how my push/pull airflow is working and seems perfectly fine.. The case fans on the side are pushing the paper towards me from inside the case (push).. And the piece of paper is being pulled towards the AIO fans mounted on top (pull).

The Zalman CNPS20X is pretty amazing. Massive and ugly, but probably the best HSF on the market.

Associate
Unscrew the rad part of the AIO and turn it the other way around so the tubes are at the bottom then retest. If it is not totally full then the pump could be struggling to push the water around the aio.

Grim5 gave great advice. If the temps rise extremely quickly then it is a mounting or pump issue and not airflow/radiator issue.

Back
Top Bottom