*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Man of Honour
I wonder if the CPU requirement bypass if using an ISO/media tool update will work still as previously hinted though...

I think people are being a bit optimistic in this regard - stuff might work for now but the direction they are taking it more and more stuff won't function or have all features working without the "correct" level of CPU/hardware support.

Personally getting more and more leery when it comes to 11 as the approach in respect to hardware security seems hostile to the end user and for the advantage of 3rd parties - even at the expense of the end user with a longer term issue as to rights and privacy - possibly even controlling what people can and can't do on the internet at a level that if they went at it in one go would absolutely not be accepted.

Sadly a lot of people can't see the big picture in this respect and/or say "oh but I'd use Linux instead", etc. but if it went that far don't think Linux would be immune.

Soldato
AMD fTPM is a hardware TPM 2.0 implementation integrated in AMD AGESA code for credential storage and key management. The firmware TPM key will be stored in AMD AGESA code data region once you enable AMD fTPM and Windows BitLocker for drive encryption. Please note that when the recovery key is lost or when the BIOS ROM chip is replaced, the system will not boot into the operating system and the data will stay encrypted and cannot be restored.

I enabled PTT (Intel System) and never got any warnings about this last night.

I enabled it and the system rebooted a few times and then started up as normal.

Just ran the W11 checker for the sake of it and everything passed!

Man of Honour
That's if you use encryption function whereby the keys are stored in the TPM. If you are not using BitLocker etc to encrypt the drive then nothing is being encrypted so you just have TPM enabled but no encryption active so that warning would not apply to you.

Permabanned
OP
can someone explain to me when we can get win11. im reading new machines on october 05, but existing win10 users wont get it until 2022. is that right? seems an odd way to do it to me

You need to become an insider to promise to Microsoft you will test the software.

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/

then login and navigate to here for the ISO:

Download Windows 11 Insider Preview ISO

Windows 11 will be launched to customers on the 5th of October.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/08/31/windows-11-available-on-october-5/

Last edited:
You need to become an insider to promise to Microsoft you will test the software.

https://insider.windows.com/en-us/

then login and navigate to here for the ISO:

Download Windows 11 Insider Preview ISO

Windows 11 will be launched to customers on the 5th of October.
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2021/08/31/windows-11-available-on-october-5/
i'm not interested to get it before 05/10 so do i still need to be an insider? i'm more concerned about waiting until 2022 when it's released in a couple weeks.

Permabanned
i'm not interested to get it before 05/10 so do i still need to be an insider? i'm more concerned about waiting until 2022 when it's released in a couple weeks.

No, just wait then, should be able to upgrade when it becomes available. 5th Oct onwards. Just depends on the rollout and how they are going to stagger it I guess(if they do).

Permabanned
OP

Quote from Microsoft

Today, we are thrilled to announce Windows 11 will start to become available on October 5, 2021. On this day, the free upgrade to Windows 11 will begin rolling out to eligible Windows 10 PCs and PCs that come pre-loaded with Windows 11 will start to become available for purchase. A new Windows experience, Windows 11 is designed to bring you closer to what you love.

Soldato
That's if you use encryption function whereby the keys are stored in the TPM. If you are not using BitLocker etc to encrypt the drive then nothing is being encrypted so you just have TPM enabled but no encryption active so that warning would not apply to you.
Makes sense, I don't have any drive encryption or bitlocker enabled.

Associate
so just installed windows 11 on a 7700HQ laptop.

so far so good.

But one bugging item is the windows button/taskbar... is it me or whoever coded it need specs? it certainly not centred and when you add apps they just add to the right of the start button making it look all off centre. Surely it needs to centre with the middle most icon?

Don
But one bugging item is the windows button/taskbar... is it me or whoever coded it need specs? it certainly not centred and when you add apps they just add to the right of the start button making it look all off centre. Surely it needs to centre with the middle most icon?

Correct - as soon as you open more apps, it moves leftwards

I submitted insider feedback on this, but it means you can't build muscle memory of where it is (unlike always being in the bottom left corner). It's a minor thing, but has quite big implications.

Ideally it should remain centred and app icons appear either side of the start button

Correct - as soon as you open more apps, it moves leftwards

I submitted insider feedback on this, but it means you can't build muscle memory of where it is (unlike always being in the bottom left corner). It's a minor thing, but has quite big implications.

Ideally it should remain centred and app icons appear either side of the start button

I don't imagine there is anyone that would disagree with this, or at least, Ms should give 3 choices.

Bottom left like it used to be, centre centre, or centre left

Associate
can someone explain to me when we can get win11. im reading new machines on october 05, but existing win10 users wont get it until 2022. is that right? seems an odd way to do it to me

let them have the pain and awsome buggy experiance then sort it for everyone else

would like to give it a good 3-5 months before I touch it

Associate
I don't imagine there is anyone that would disagree with this, or at least, Ms should give 3 choices.

Bottom left like it used to be, centre centre, or centre left

to be fair I couldnt think of anywhere I would want it less than in the centre

if anything bottom right would be more useful next to the time ect

Back
Top Bottom