*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Associate
So here is the deal I am having with this laptop, every time I update to a new version of windows 11 my SSD speed returns to normal, IE 2000 Read 1000 Write for a short time then the laptop seems to set a protection profile, I say seems because that's the best way I can explain the problem. This time after updating to Windows 11 Insider Preview 22458.1000 (rs_prerelease) the laptop was what I would call the best it's been, very snappy and quiet full speed from the SSD working perfect, so I thought ok I'll try that Cinebench R23 run again, after about 3/4mins into the test with temps under control 60/65C which isn't that hot the machine writes full speed to the SSD then caps/throttles back to 2.8Ghz from 3.4/6Ghz somewhere there, after that the machine then stays locked back to write 2000 Read 200 again. and never recovers back to it's former state. I understand that the Machine will throttle back to protect itself, but why would it remain that way in a locked gimped state. Is this an SSD problem or a profile problem, resetting the bios makes no odds.

System SKU 2S897EA#ABU System Model
HP ENVY x360 Convertible 13-ay0xxx
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.20, 30/07/2021
SSD Model SAMSUNG MZVLQ256HAJD-000H

Associate
So here is the deal I am having with this laptop, ... the machine writes full speed to the SSD then caps/throttles back to 2.8Ghz from 3.4/6Ghz somewhere there, after that the machine then stays locked back to write 2000 Read 200 again. and never recovers back to it's former state.

How long are you giving it to settle after the long writes to the drive ? Could it be that its flushing out its SLC buffer cache and re-writing it back into TLC as a background process ? and whilst its doing that, its restricting its available write speed from the OS ? I have no idea how long a typical cache flush would take, but what happens if you leave it running overnight doing nothing and let it sort itself out for a while ?

Associate
No it never recovers to it's original state after either using the machine hard or running a benchmark of say Cinebench R23 for example.

Code:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 8.0.4 x64 (C) 2007-2021 hiyohiyo
                                  Crystal Dew World: https://crystalmark.info/
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

[Read]
  SEQ    1MiB (Q=  8, T= 1):  2040.595 MB/s [   1946.1 IOPS] <  4106.02 us>
  SEQ  128KiB (Q= 32, T= 1):     0.000 MB/s [      0.0 IOPS] <     0.00 us>
  RND    4KiB (Q= 32, T=16):     0.000 MB/s [      0.0 IOPS] <     0.00 us>
  RND    4KiB (Q=  1, T= 1):     0.000 MB/s [      0.0 IOPS] <     0.00 us>

[Write]
  SEQ    1MiB (Q=  8, T= 1):   206.890 MB/s [    197.3 IOPS] < 40298.82 us>
  SEQ  128KiB (Q= 32, T= 1):     0.000 MB/s [      0.0 IOPS] <     0.00 us>
  RND    4KiB (Q= 32, T=16):     0.000 MB/s [      0.0 IOPS] <     0.00 us>
  RND    4KiB (Q=  1, T= 1):     0.000 MB/s [      0.0 IOPS] <     0.00 us>

Profile: Default
   Test: 1 GiB (x5) [C: 45% (108/238GiB)]
   Mode: [Admin]
   Time: Measure 5 sec / Interval 5 sec
   Date: 2021/09/20 8:21:14

Soldato
Currently running the Insider Preview (Build 22454.rs_prerelease.210903-1516) in a VM, have been doing so for a few months. Opened up Windows update and it tries to install 22458.1000 but it now fails to install as it says I dont have 64GB free (this is a 50GB VM image), dont have have TPM 2.0 (the cpu does, it's a Zen2) and I dont have Secure Boot enabled in the BIOS (that's correct, my current windows 10 pro install wasnt done with secure boot turned on).

So i guess that's it for keeping up to date with this particular VM install. Bugger.

Anyone know if Secure Boot will have to be turned on by the time full Windows 11 gets rolled out in Oct as an update for everyone in Windows Update?
Does enabling Secure Boot on a current set up that wasnt installed with secure boot on cause any issue? I really dont want to have to install Win 10 from scratch now just to move to win 11 in oct......

Soldato
I'm ready to go apart from having to enable TPM in the bios. I was going to go ahead and do it just now however I was presented with the following message when enabling which has put me off doing it for now:

AMD fTPM is a hardware TPM 2.0 implementation integrated in AMD AGESA code for credential storage and key management. The firmware TPM key will be stored in AMD AGESA code data region once you enable AMD fTPM and Windows BitLocker for drive encryption. Please note that when the recovery key is lost or when the BIOS ROM chip is replaced, the system will not boot into the operating system and the data will stay encrypted and cannot be restored.

That last line makes it sound like it's something I wouldn't want to do!

Caporegime
@heartburnron ^ I saw something similar and ignored it; I think it's only a factor if you're encrypting your drive?

Omg I've just seen that if you hover over an icon in the taskbar you can restore a group to the same window positions it was in before. So cool.

And I'm so pleased that W11 now seems to remember my windows' positions after it's gone to sleep and woken back up again.

@heartburnron ^ I saw something similar and ignored it; I think it's only a factor if you're encrypting your drive?

Omg I've just seen that if you hover over an icon in the taskbar you can restore a group to the same window positions it was in before. So cool.

And I'm so pleased that W11 now seems to remember my windows' positions after it's gone to sleep and woken back up again.

Do you happen to have dual screens? I'd love it if it had window affinity depending on where the window was last, and on what taskbar/start menu it was opened from.

Soldato
I'm not sure what it means to be honest. My first thoughts were that if I needed to do a clean install of Windows, but I couldn't find my original key, is that going to cause problems now where before you could carry on without it, albeit with some limitations? I haven't really thought it through so perhaps I'm way off the mark...

Associate
I'm ready to go apart from having to enable TPM in the bios. I was going to go ahead and do it just now however I was presented with the following message when enabling which has put me off doing it for now:

AMD fTPM is a hardware TPM 2.0 implementation integrated in AMD AGESA code for credential storage and key management. The firmware TPM key will be stored in AMD AGESA code data region once you enable AMD fTPM and Windows BitLocker for drive encryption. Please note that when the recovery key is lost or when the BIOS ROM chip is replaced, the system will not boot into the operating system and the data will stay encrypted and cannot be restored.

That last line makes it sound like it's something I wouldn't want to do!

As Participant said this only matters if you encrypt the hard drive, if you do encrypt your hard drive using Bitlocker it should provide you with a recovery key (back these up somewhere safe) in the event that fTPM loses the decryption key you will have the option of going in to Bitlocker Recovery and entering the recovery key to unlock the drive.

I'm not 100% on this as I've not used/tested an fTPM but one thing to be careful of is that I seem to recall updating the BIOS/AGESA will wipe the keys and the fTPM will need to be reinitialised.

If you haven't already upgraded to Windows 11 and this is your only PC the best advice might be to wait until after Win11's release and see what other people's experiences are like, at launch you aren't gaining anything over Win10 and it will take time for the OS and drivers to mature.

Permabanned
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and installing Windows 11 tonight on a set up mostly used for gaming and a bit VR. Any issues for people using the Quest 2 with virtual desktop? Pretty much only play the latest AAA titles.

Soldato
As Participant said this only matters if you encrypt the hard drive, if you do encrypt your hard drive using Bitlocker it should provide you with a recovery key (back these up somewhere safe) in the event that fTPM loses the decryption key you will have the option of going in to Bitlocker Recovery and entering the recovery key to unlock the drive.

I'm not 100% on this as I've not used/tested an fTPM but one thing to be careful of is that I seem to recall updating the BIOS/AGESA will wipe the keys and the fTPM will need to be reinitialised.

If you haven't already upgraded to Windows 11 and this is your only PC the best advice might be to wait until after Win11's release and see what other people's experiences are like, at launch you aren't gaining anything over Win10 and it will take time for the OS and drivers to mature.
Thanks for taking the time to explain that, much appreciated. I likely will hold off for a bit to see what other folks experiences are as you say.

Man of Honour
The official Windows 100 checker tool built into the PC Health tool has now been updated. Actually gives you a WhyNot11 style rundown of criteria results and tells you what isn't supported and a link to info etc. All green ticks for me except the 6700K which is says is unsupported.

I wonder if the CPU requirement bypass if using an ISO/media tool update will work still as previously hinted though...

Back
Top Bottom