Edifier S350DB - High pitch noise on all outputs with an exception.

Soldato
So i got these speakers today, massive upgrade compared to the G560's! It's literally night and day, i can't believe what i've been missing out on all these years buying gamer speakers.

Anyway, i noticed straight off the bat that no matter what interface i used, optical, cox, bt etc there was a high pitch noise coming from the speakers. However i had a play with the sound settings and i changed it from 16bit 48khz to 16bit 44.1khz and the noise went away!

Just to add, i also tried a different mains socket, different extensions and different optical cables as well with the same result at 48khz it has a high pitch noise coming from both speakers.

Is this something that the speakers can't handle or are they faulty?

Thanks in advance!

Associate
I guess the unit is faulty.
My first one, which was replaced, would show the constant high pitch noise. First on all output, but the optical, later the optical too.
As you turn on the unit, the standard volume, which is the same every time you turn it on, would be enough to notice the noise.
Only reducing the volume to almost 0 would somehow mask it.
If you turn the unit on, but without connecting anything to it, if the noise is present, then i'm 99% sure the issue is something with the internal amplifier.
If that's the case, there's no simply solution but replacement.
Ground loop was my first guess, but I guess those units don't use a ground, as the third pin is plastic.

Soldato
OP
I guess the unit is faulty.
My first one, which was replaced, would show the constant high pitch noise. First on all output, but the optical, later the optical too.
As you turn on the unit, the standard volume, which is the same every time you turn it on, would be enough to notice the noise.
Only reducing the volume to almost 0 would somehow mask it.
If you turn the unit on, but without connecting anything to it, if the noise is present, then i'm 99% sure the issue is something with the internal amplifier.
If that's the case, there's no simply solution but replacement.
Ground loop was my first guess, but I guess those units don't use a ground, as the third pin is plastic.
Just tried what you said, turned on without any connections and there is no noise coming from the speakers. What does that mean?

It's weird because the high pitch noise will be present on all except on the 44.1khz frequency in the windows settings. It's the same for the 16bit and 24bit format. I get no sound if i try 96khz as well.

If im brutally honest as well i can't tell any difference between 44.1khz and 48khz but i've ordered another set of the same speakers to test, see if its the speakers at fault or my machine/ground?

Associate
My first one, the faulty one, would make the high pitch noise, even with the PC off. Tried every socket possible, even at my brother's place. Same issue.
Mine was an issue with the internal amplifier.
Loop ground won't be an issue, as the unit isn't using the same grounding as the rest of your setup.
Apart from another unit, if you could try another source (laptop, TV, Phone) where you can play a bit with the sample rates would help to eliminate few possibilities.

Soldato
OP
My first one, the faulty one, would make the high pitch noise, even with the PC off. Tried every socket possible, even at my brother's place. Same issue.
Loop ground won't be an issue, as the unit isn't using the same grounding as the rest of your setup.
Apart from another unit, if you could try another source (laptop, TV, Phone) where you can play a bit with the sample rates would help to eliminate few possibilities.
Once you sort the issue, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pi4RrMtumI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUodFjt01CY, two samples to let the sub work a bit. :D Had to use some foam behind few glass picture frames on the wall next to it.
Got my replacement set today but won't be able to test it till tonight. Can't wait to test out the new set and see if its a problem with the B grade item.

Will give those samples a test tonight too haha, the wifes been complaining cos im banging music in the room :cry:.

Soldato
OP
So brand new unit does the same, i tried it on our tv and it's fine so i suspect its something with my system or the audio ports at the back of the motherboard that's causing it. Doesn't do it at lower frequencies on optical line though, exactly the same as the B grade unit. If it was faulty i'd expect a different fault or for it to be high pitched throughout all outputs but it doesn't.

Wondering if i should use a DAC or some sort of filter to try and filter out the noise? Any recommendation @Drumroll ? You seem to be the only guy who knows anything about it lol.

Associate
It may be worth trying an in-line ground loop isolator, it's a relatively inexpensive item which I suppose could be returned if it doesn't sort it?

Also, location of speakers may be having an effect - Mine are right next to my monitor as it's the only space I have, and if the screen is bright they cause a background buzz of interference, gets a little louder when I scroll.

Soldato
OP
It may be worth trying an in-line ground loop isolator, it's a relatively inexpensive item which I suppose could be returned if it doesn't sort it?

Also, location of speakers may be having an effect - Mine are right next to my monitor as it's the only space I have, and if the screen is bright they cause a background buzz of interference, gets a little louder when I scroll.
I noticed the pitch does go up and down but i can't tell what's causing it.

I'll have a look at the in-line ground loop isolator, any particular one to buy or just any to try?

ive seen some as cheap as £7.99 from a certain online retailer.

Associate
Can't pretend I'm an expert so it may not even be the issue - I have one on my speakers, but it did not solve the monitor interference issue. I think I just decided to keep it anyway in the end (Think I had some other buzzing going on, too long ago to remember for me now, it certainly wasn't an expensive one).

Soldato
OP
Can't pretend I'm an expert so it may not even be the issue - I have one on my speakers, but it did not solve the monitor interference issue. I think I just decided to keep it anyway in the end (Think I had some other buzzing going on, too long ago to remember for me now, it certainly wasn't an expensive one).
Worth a shot, i can live with it just being set to 44.1khz on optical as it gives me the cleanest output without the high pitch noise but i can clean it up on other outputs too it's worth trying for the sake of a few quid.

Soldato
OP
So just an update, i asked my uncle who is abit of an audiophile and he straight away said it's RFI or EMI that's coming through so he suggested trying a few things. I've ordered these to try and see if it eliminates the issue im having.

Tacima 6 Way Mains Conditioner with RFI/EMI filter

Behringer MICROHD Hum Destroyer HD400

for the ground loop incase it is this causing it as well. Should be here tomorrow so will come back with my findings incase anyone else ever encounters this problem.

Soldato
I use quite a few of the Tacima 6 ways. They filter the mains and also remove DC that's injected into the AC, they improve sound quality and also picture quality on screens.

The problem with the Tacima 6 way is there restrictive, so you don't want to many devices on the same one. For example on my HTPC I have one Tacima for the computer, and a second Tacima for the amplifier.

However I think the high pitch issue is a fault in your speakers, looks like it's the built in DAC, the Tacima 6 way won't fix this.

Soldato
OP
I use quite a few of the Tacima 6 ways. They filter the mains and also remove DC that's injected into the AC, they improve sound quality and also picture quality on screens.

However I think the high pitch issue is a fault in your speakers, looks like it's the built in DAC, the Tacima 6 way won't fix this.
Willing to try anything at this point because i've had 2 units from 2 different suppliers and both are exactly the same so im thinking its not a fault with the speakers but something to do with my hardware.

My speakers sit right next to the psu in my pc and is also right next to my monitors so im gonna try and move the speakers away and see if that helps too. The optical line and RCA cables also run next to other cables like HDMI, DP and some power cables so not sure if that would cause interference?

The strangest thing is, i get clear perfect sound if i switch to 44.1khz in windows sound settings but every other setting will produce the same noise. It's like a high pitch but very quiet noise. I'm using a QED RCA to 3.5mm jack cable and a Kabeldirekt optical cable. The optical one is the only source where 44.1khz works perfect. All the other outputs cox and rca will produce the same sound not matter the windows settings.

Just to note, Headphones are not plugged in and neither is the mic for the headset.

I've contact Edifier support as well to see what they can recommend to fix this.

Soldato
Regarding the Tacima, it's a good thing to own regardless as they improve audio even on working equipment.

Re your hum. Do you have any other sources? Do you have a separates CD player you can try?

Your aim is to determine if it's your computer or the Edifier, if you can repeat the issue on another source you will know it's the Edifier.

Soldato
OP
One more thing to note that i found last night, when you first turn the speakers on they are quiet barely any audible sound (no high pitch). As you use them and after several minutes, the sound begins and you can start to hear the squealing like high pitch noise. It's almost like a ground loop.. i read that the feedback travels in a continuous loop until it reaches unity which then causes the noise?

Soldato
OP
Regarding the Tacima, it's a good thing to own regardless as they improve audio even on working equipment.

Re your hum. Do you have any other sources? Do you have a separates CD player you can try?

Your aim is to determine if it's your computer or the Edifier, if you can repeat the issue on another source you will know it's the Edifier.
I tried it on the TV and there isn't a high pitch noise but i only tested it in optical as i didn't have any RCA cables on hand at the time.

Soldato
One more thing to note that i found last night, when you first turn the speakers on they are quiet barely any audible sound (no high pitch). As you use them and after several minutes, the sound begins and you can start to hear the squealing like high pitch noise. It's almost like a ground loop.. i read that the feedback travels in a continuous loop until it reaches unity which then causes the noise?

Does the Edifier use a 3 pin IEC (with a ground), or a figure 8 connection?

Soldato
I tried it on the TV and there isn't a high pitch noise but i only tested it in optical as i didn't have any RCA cables on hand at the time.

You will have to, you must test using another source. If you don't test using another source you won't track down the issue.

Do you have a Sony Walkman in the house, anything will do.

Back
Top Bottom