*** The Official Boxing Thread ***Do Not Discuss Illegal Streams

Soldato
Got a dodgy decision in the final

Really? I guess it wouldn't be the first time for such a thing. Even with that though, to even get to the final of the Olympics shows he must be able to box to a pretty high level, no? Amateurs are diffent to pros I guess and even most so at world title level.

Soldato
He can box, sort of, but not in comparison to Usyk or Fury. Wilder can't box at all. AJ ticks a lot of boxes but nothing is really exceptional, but because he's so well rounded he should be able to compete with anyone as long as he has the right game plan.

Yeah that make sense, although a large part of the game plan is probably dictated by the fact that he is open to being KO'd, but then aren't all heavyweights? Fury managed to take Wilders shot but it still floored him, might not be as lucky next time?

Soldato
Lol he was never a fraud, he's an amateur though in comparison to Usyk with the number of fights they've had in total. It was foolish to think he could box the boxer. I expect him to let his hands go much more and much earlier in the rematch.

He can box, sort of, but not in comparison to Usyk or Fury. Wilder can't box at all. AJ ticks a lot of boxes but nothing is really exceptional, but because he's so well rounded he should be able to compete with anyone as long as he has the right game plan.

Jesus Christ where has all this hate for AJ come from what has he done to all these people on here lol.

He got out boxed by a master boxer and now all of a sudden he’s completely useless again lol.

He’ll take the rematch and hopefully this time he goes for it a bit more and let’s his hands go.
He would never win on points against a superior boxer which Usyk is and he lacks conditioning in the later rounds. He robotically manoeuvred behind the jab for round after round landing nothing whilst Usyk went straight through his guard at will, for a man who relies on power Usyk didn't get staggered once, AJ went full bambi mode at least twice, he was more likely to get knocked out trying to force the KO than vice versa. He was schooled and Fury on form would take him to the cleaners.

Caporegime
Really? I guess it wouldn't be the first time for such a thing. Even with that though, to even get to the final of the Olympics shows he must be able to box to a pretty high level, no? Amateurs are diffent to pros I guess and even most so at world title level.
Vastly different. You’ve got to keep those skills up for 36 minutes at pro compared to just 9 at amateur. That gives better boxers a lot more time to work you out and take control. AJ’s more of a brawler at world level.

Soldato
Just rewatched the fight again without all the adrenaline of watching it live, Usyk was head and shoulders above AJ in both skill, speed and stamina and looked like he could go for another 6 rounds, you could see AJs body language change after round 4/5 almost like he knew he made a mistake taking him on, people saying that the fight was closer than people are making out need to go back and watch the fight again as AJ wasn’t any where near Usyk all night.

Soldato
Yeah now the morning after, AJ was not going to do well against Usyk. I wouldn't take the rematch if I were AJ. I'd leave Rob McCraken and find a new coach who will be more suited to his strengths and take a few easier fights where he can work on a few things and come again.

I still want to see AJ and Fury get it on and I still back AJ to beat Fury even after last night. As the saying goes 'styles make fights' Usyk is all types of wrong for AJ but I don't see Fury being that much of a puzzle for AJ to solve.

I'd like to see how Fury gets on with a fighter like Usyk. He had trouble initially with a smaller heavyweight in Cunningham and the same as when he fought Michael Hunter in the amateurs. He doesn't get on all too well with smaller mobile heavyweights so it would be an interesting clash

Boxing, man. You got to love it.

Caporegime
Makes me wonder if the Fury fight had gone ahead would he have gone into that trying to outbox Fury as well? How much are these coaches getting paid!?!
He's got a habit of trying to tailor his weight to his opponent so I think he would've come in close to his heaviest and looked to knock him out early.

I think some people are forgetting Usyk was a massive cruiserweight, maybe not in terms of weight but he's 6'3" and has a 78" reach. Add the speed and technical skills and he's a match for anyone in the HW division. Even Fury would get schooled on a technical level but I've no doubt he would hide behind the jab and use his 7" reach advantage rather than try and outbox him, probably in the same manor Klitschko beat Haye.

Soldato
He's got a habit of trying to tailor his weight to his opponent so I think he would've come in close to his heaviest and looked to knock him out early.

I think some people are forgetting Usyk was a massive cruiserweight, maybe not in terms of weight but he's 6'3" and has a 78" reach. Add the speed and technical skills and he's a match for anyone in the HW division. Even Fury would get schooled on a technical level but I've no doubt he would hide behind the jab and use his 7" reach advantage rather than try and outbox him, probably in the same manor Klitschko beat Haye.
This ^^^^

fez

fez

Caporegime
What is it with people saying that anyone who points any negativity towards someone is "hating" on them. AJ was comprehensively beaten last night by a much better boxer. That isn't hating on him. Thats just the reality of it.

Boxing is a weird sport at the best of times. What other sport do the top guys avoid each other and basically try to pretend they are the best without fighting the best. Where its more important to pick the right fights and promote yourself than it is to actually be the best. There have always been question marks over AJ and hes been found out a few times despite ducking most of the best guys around.

Soldato
What is it with people saying that anyone who points any negativity towards someone is "hating" on them. AJ was comprehensively beaten last night by a much better boxer. That isn't hating on him. Thats just the reality of it.

Boxing is a weird sport at the best of times. What other sport do the top guys avoid each other and basically try to pretend they are the best without fighting the best. Where its more important to pick the right fights and promote yourself than it is to actually be the best. There have always been question marks over AJ and hes been found out a few times despite ducking most of the best guys around.
I’d agree with most of that, however who has AJ ducked and don’t say Wilder as this has been discussed to death yesterday.

Soldato
AJ hasn't ducked anyone. That's a weird thing to say

Probably should've vacated the belt for Usyk but then he'd genuinely be called a ducker. Though it worked for Ridick Bowe and the WBC

Soldato
Strange tactics by AJ, no ferocity, surely by now he knows that game plans don't stick once you throw power and aggression into the mix, in the post fight con his coach even said you can't let someone like Usyk get his rythm, take him out early on. AJ also admitted he struggles to keep up with such high level talent, however had he used his size and strength Usyk would have been thrown off his game plan, that's why he looked so bad against Chisora.

The way Usyk moved though was a pleasure to watch, the footwork especially like something out of a game when you mash all the buttons!

Soldato
As others said, completely wrong tactics from AJ. Trying to outbox someone as technically good as Usyk was never going to end well. He should have come in a bit heavier and tried to use size and weight to bully him. I don't know if it's a training issue or AJ just isn't mentally the same since the Ruiz fight, but he needs to sort it asap otherwise his career is pretty much done.

Soldato
I thought AJ looked a little pre-occupied, or absent, distant maybe.

Dunno, it was a strange fight, it reminded me of Djokovic in the US Open final; there was just something 'not quite right' with what I was watching.

Soldato
should have been a TKO round 12 aj was going until someone rang the bell 5 seconds early

Did hearne ding the bell so his cashcow didnt go down :D:D

Soldato
Permabanned
i knew AJ would lose, Usyk went easy on him too.
AJ should refund all fans who attended for that terrible fight.

he cant deal with a mover and someone with a few shot combo.
he gassed out too.

eddie says AJ was winning after 8 rounds yeh ok.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom