WBAC Values

Soldato
They can just add it to the list of dodgy things they do whilst trying to survive the EV transition. Next up the German government will be underwriting the whole thing somehow.

Soldato
You would have thought not but the article literally has representatives from BMW and Daimler saying they like the way the market is at the moment.

If you believe every bit of PR that comes from every company...

Also, your quote makes clear it's premium manufacturers looking at it in that way, we shouldnt extrapolate to all manufacturers. :)

While high prices are good, low utilisation of capital-intensive plants is not good. There's always a balance to be struck.

Man of Honour
Gone up another 3% compared to 2 weeks ago, but playing catchup from minimal gains earlier in the year.
It's kind of clear why it has room to move up though, looking on AT nationally, the cheapest with the same trim level and petrol engine is priced at £12.1k compared to the £7.4k from WBAC. And that car is a year older, albeit much lower mileage and an automatic. There just isn't the stock around to be create competitive pricing. So WBAC could buy it for say £7k after deductions and fees etc, stick it on Cinch at £9995 and still be the cheapest in the country by a mile.

I wonder what impact this will have on insurance claims, presumably the upwards pressure on used cars is going make cars more economical to repair? i.e. less likely that an insurer will write off your vehicle as they will have to offer you too much money to buy a replacement.

Caporegime
Gone up another 3% compared to 2 weeks ago, but playing catchup from minimal gains earlier in the year.
It's kind of clear why it has room to move up though, looking on AT nationally, the cheapest with the same trim level and petrol engine is priced at £12.1k compared to the £7.4k from WBAC. And that car is a year older, albeit much lower mileage and an automatic. There just isn't the stock around to be create competitive pricing. So WBAC could buy it for say £7k after deductions and fees etc, stick it on Cinch at £9995 and still be the cheapest in the country by a mile.

I wonder what impact this will have on insurance claims, presumably the upwards pressure on used cars is going make cars more economical to repair? i.e. less likely that an insurer will write off your vehicle as they will have to offer you too much money to buy a replacement.

But offsetting that is the world shortage of parts to repair your car.......................................

Man of Honour
Depends on what is needed to repair it though right? I mean there must be some insurance repairs that aren't heavily impacted by shortages, sure I get it if it involves semiconductors etc but the sort of cars I'm talking about being traditionally uneconomical to repair are presumably older and less chip-heavy, more a case of bent metal etc.

Soldato
Forgot to say that I went ahead with WBAC on the AMG a week or so ago. Was a very smooth process and I took it in on a Saturday and money was with me on the Monday. Finance all settled, and no issues at all. I then used the money and bought another Mustang GT. :D

Man of Honour
Interestingly our car has just dropped from £7500 a few days ago to £7000 today, suggesting maybe prices are starting to plateau on some cars. Playing with mileage it seems less sensitive than it did recently, maybe they have updated their pricing model.

Soldato
CAP prices always drop in October and April. I suspect WBAC will just be using the October figures. All the algorithm does is offer a set % of CAP Clean.
It’ll go back up.

OcUK Staff
OP
Also guys try Cazoo, autotrader, motorway and of course local firms and the manufacturer.

I noticed WBAC had dropped to 33.5k for Yaris so tried Cazoo who offered 36.5k lol.

If your thinking of selling be sure to check them all.

Soldato
Brother in law and sister just sold their T-Roc R back to VW for £10k more than they paid for it and used that towards a PCP for a new Tiguan that’s resulted in them paying £100 a month less for the pleasure of something bigger that fits more baby stuff in.

Soldato
With all these prices are we just going to see a massive drop in prices overnight or are these the new values for the future?

I guess it doesn't look like things are getting better anytime soon with new car deliveries....a friend has just been advised his new Skoda Superb iV won't be delivered till at least June next year.

I guess these delays are just going to roll on and on?

Caporegime
With all these prices are we just going to see a massive drop in prices overnight or are these the new values for the future?

I guess it doesn't look like things are getting better anytime soon with new car deliveries....a friend has just been advised his new Skoda Superb iV won't be delivered till at least June next year.

I guess these delays are just going to roll on and on?

I think they will settle down a bit eventually but will never go back to their old prices. JLR say 2023 for 46 of their models for delivery. I think rest of this year and most of next year will be worse than the last 6 months which sparked these used car prices increases.

Quite hefty increases by manufacturers recently as well. The Merc GLE I specced up back in May for £71k now costs £77k and is missing about 4 things, roughly £3k of kit so that's a major percentage uplift for a new car with worse spec than used ones out there. So how would you value a one year old one that costs £6k more now and would be missing £3k of kit? I would have thought at least what you paid for it.Especially if you then factor in if you want the new one its going to be at least 6 months and the manufacturer wont guarantee that there wont be even more bits missing when it arrives.

Soldato
I think they will settle down a bit eventually but will never go back to their old prices. JLR say 2023 for 46 of their models for delivery. I think rest of this year and most of next year will be worse than the last 6 months which sparked these used car prices increases.

Quite hefty increases by manufacturers recently as well. The Merc GLE I specced up back in May for £71k now costs £77k and is missing about 4 things, roughly £3k of kit so that's a major percentage uplift for a new car with worse spec than used ones out there. So how would you value a one year old one that costs £6k more now and would be missing £3k of kit? I would have thought at least what you paid for it.Especially if you then factor in if you want the new one its going to be at least 6 months and the manufacturer wont guarantee that there wont be even more bits missing when it arrives.

In one sense it's great but as it keeps being mentions it's only good when you come to sell your car.

My Superb on Cazoo is valued at £7800...I bought this 4 years ago off the company I used to work at for £8k...looking on autotrader these are being sold for anywhere between £10-£13k.

It's the same in the caravan world, caravan I purchased last year for £8k is now being sold within hours of advertising for between £12-£13.5k.

Issue is everything else just keeps going up!

I am half tempted to sell both, buy a bigger newer caravan and then just see what lease deals are about for cars in stock but we shall see!

Soldato
In one sense it's great but as it keeps being mentions it's only good when you come to sell your car.

My Superb on Cazoo is valued at £7800...I bought this 4 years ago off the company I used to work at for £8k...looking on autotrader these are being sold for anywhere between £10-£13k.

It's the same in the caravan world, caravan I purchased last year for £8k is now being sold within hours of advertising for between £12-£13.5k.

Issue is everything else just keeps going up!

I am half tempted to sell both, buy a bigger newer caravan and then just see what lease deals are about for cars in stock but we shall see!
I'm surprised it's happening I caravans. I thought it was due to microchips and I wouldn't have thought that would affect caravans much (although I guess people not working at factories would).

Soldato
I'm surprised it's happening I caravans. I thought it was due to microchips and I wouldn't have thought that would affect caravans much (although I guess people not working at factories would).
Caravans is just a simple fact of they can't make them quick enough. They were probably peaking at a couple thousands units a year maybe? Demand is probably 10x that.

Quids in if you bought a VW Caravan back in 2020.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Caravans is just a simple fact of they can't make them quick enough. They were probably peaking at a couple thousands units a year maybe? Demand is probably 10x that.

Quids in if you bought a VW Caravan back in 2020.
Surely a very temporary thing due to current travel concerns? Staycationing is massive right now, but there is no reason to think that it wont fall off a cliff as soon as public confidence has returned for travel.

Back
Top Bottom