WhatsApp Down?

Soldato
Overly confident, lots of assumptions and a jump to conclusion there - you work in 1st line?

Says the guy who in response to the question "internal or external domain" replies "ADFS" and thought a SQL database for door ACL was a good idea :D

I'm here to protect organisations from people like this :D

Soldato
the people forget is this can happen to any company.
but the fact that this company is actaully changing stuff is actaully a good thing. so many company deploy X then leave it until its years past EOL & support.
ive seen companies still using Ubuntu Server 10.X when Ubuntu 16.X Server is not even in support anymore

however what they should do is have Staging - Dev - Production Routing setups so you can test these changes in isolated environment

Permabanned
Facebook is so buggy.
My friends disappear from the list, and the people who you should know is now a completely unknown list of people.
Yesterday before the collapse, that list was of people who I know.

Permabanned
Facebook harms children and weakens democracy: ex-employee - BBC News

"A former Facebook employee has told US lawmakers that the company's sites and apps "harm children, stoke division and weaken our democracy".

Frances Haugen, a 37-year-old former product manager turned whistleblower, heavily criticised the company at a hearing on Capitol Hill.

Facebook has faced growing scrutiny and increasing calls for its regulation."

Facebook ‘harms children and weakens democracy’, whistleblower claims (msn.com)

Man of Honour
Says the guy who in response to the question "internal or external domain" replies "ADFS" and thought a SQL database for door ACL was a good idea :D

I'm here to protect organisations from people like this :D

So many companies rely on Whatsapp now heh - they hate it at work due to the security and continuity considerations though we have fall backs in place to avoid it affecting operations. They want to try and move it to something with a publicly managed app and API but with their own backend servers as people are understandably leery of installing an inhouse app on their own devices but it is hard to beat the convenience of Whatsapp.

Man of Honour
Facebook harms children and weakens democracy: ex-employee - BBC News

"A former Facebook employee has told US lawmakers that the company's sites and apps "harm children, stoke division and weaken our democracy".

Frances Haugen, a 37-year-old former product manager turned whistleblower, heavily criticised the company at a hearing on Capitol Hill.

Facebook has faced growing scrutiny and increasing calls for its regulation."

Facebook ‘harms children and weakens democracy’, whistleblower claims (msn.com)

Surely that isn't whistleblowing! That's somebody with an opinion unless they can bring evidence forward that Facebook have intentionally done this.
My department gets involved with whistleblowers and they bring forward evidence that a staff member/s have done stuff.

Man of Honour
If it wasn't for the car groups and Marketplace I'd probably disable my Facebook account. Using it is a nightmare, browsing the feed you hardly ever see anything recent from your friends, it's mostly adverts and posts you've already seen. It's a shame it's nearly killed most car forums.

Soldato
Well.

I had a chat with a colleague who went to Facebook and worked on the issue, basically what happened is this;

They use a bunch of automation to check the capacity of their main backbone network, this tool can shift away traffic from certain nodes to perform maintainance, for example - to reroute traffic around a faulty device, do upgrades or whatever. It's something that most operators have, in some form or another.

They were performing some routine work using this tool, when apparently due to a bug - it went and tried to shift-away all the traffic, across every router in it's backbone. This is normally done by withdrawing route advertisements, taking down tunnels or hiking metrics etc, the net effect of this was that they basically switched off their entire global network....

It took so long to resolve, because basically; nobody knew what the hell was going on - everything was broken, literally every single thing - they couldn't even get access to any devices, which probably explains why people couldn't even get door passes to work :D

Soldato
yes - but the whisteblowers opinion , and, their research, wasn't anything other researchers hadn't already predicated,
maybe like the VW emissions scandal courts need to give permission to search their premises.

Watched Clegg trying to defend it with his sardonic grin - his UK accent to Americans must have been shown to increase message credibility - looks a bit like Morgan
Clegg Facebook exec confronted over whistleblower's January 6 claim

[ eg. facebooks role in obesity crisis
Hadn't really considered before that facebook/google could be complicit with targetted advertising for the likes of Coca-Cola say .. Dominoes ..... ???
]

My friends disappear from the list, and the people who you should know is now a completely unknown list of people.
that's all known to be part of their plan, re-direct you onto others content.

Man of Honour
that's all known to be part of their plan, re-direct you onto others content.

I'd like to know how they get Forums like OCUK to put Facebook code on every page.

Take this innocuous page with nothing wrote about Facebook and you will see this in the code - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/please-help-think-im-in-over-my-head.18938946/

<html id="XenForo" lang="en-US" dir="LTR" class="Public NoJs LoggedIn NoSidebar Responsive" xmlns:fb="http://www.facebook.com/2008/fbml">

// Facebook Javascript SDK
XenForo.Facebook.appId = "";
XenForo.Facebook.forceInit = false;

This page we're on now has got that code.

Back
Top Bottom