Insulate Britain and Extinction Rebellion, domestic terrorists?

Soldato
They are refusing ambulances through. Scumbags. How they would they react if a dying relative is in the ambulance?
Amazed this lot haven't been ok the recieving end of a proper battering yet... I mean people get assaulted for looking at someone the "wrong" way!

Man of Honour
The definition of terrorism in the UK is pretty clear.

Terrorism is the use or threat of action, both in and outside of the UK, designed to influence any international government organisation or to intimidate the public. It must also be for the purpose of advancing a political, religious, racial or ideological cause.

Examples include:

• serious violence against a person or damage to property,
  • endangering a person's life (other than that of the person committing the action),
  • creating a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public,
  • action designed to seriously interfere with or seriously to disrupt an electronic system.
It is important to note that in order to be convicted of a terrorism offence a person doesn't actually have to commit what could be considered a terrorist attack. Planning, assisting and even collecting information on how to commit terrorist acts are all crimes under British terrorism legislation.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/crime-info/terrorism

The question in this case should be rephrased asking why they aren't being treated as such.

Man of Honour
They have been for quite some time...

Or are they an ethnicity?

Although almost 81% of Russian citizens identify themselves as ethnic Russians, there are also other large ethnic groups. 3.9% of Russians are Tartars, 1.4% Ukrainians, 1.2% Bashkirs, 1.1% Chuvashs and 1.0% Chechens. 3.9% of the population did not declare any ethnic origin.

Caporegime
Or are they an ethnicity?

Although almost 81% of Russian citizens identify themselves as ethnic Russians, there are also other large ethnic groups. 3.9% of Russians are Tartars, 1.4% Ukrainians, 1.2% Bashkirs, 1.1% Chuvashs and 1.0% Chechens. 3.9% of the population did not declare any ethnic origin.

No, they're a race. A race is defined as a group with a shared physical or social identity. In this instance the social identity would be nationality.

Associate
I can see their point of view and it's admirable to want to change peoples recycling\renewables culture etc but they seem to mostly be annoying people, they need a good pr\admin person. It has made me insulate my loft though, been putting it of for a couple of months :)

Caporegime
I can see their point of view and it's admirable to want to change peoples recycling\renewables culture etc but they seem to mostly be annoying people, they need a good pr\admin person. It has made me insulate my loft though, been putting it of for a couple of months :)
They’re not just annoying people, they’re wilfully endangering lives. There’s simply no excuse.

Man of Honour
Are travellers a race?

The courts say that Irish Travellers are protected ‘against race discrimination’ because they’re an ethnic group under the Equality Act, that doesn’t sit right with me, but maybe I’ll petition the courts to recognise Cockneys as an ethnic group, and then the Keystone Kops can look the other way if I break the law.

Soldato
Look at it this way.

If someone threatens my home or my life, I can take reasonable action/force to prevent it.

The earth is my home. Endless governments have simply paid lip service to climate change. Put simply they are more interested in the next election than making hard choices. Climate change is somebody else's problem.

They are threatening people's homes and lives. People have a right to take action.

Soldato
@Hodders that's the issue it isn't reasonable what they are doing. They should go aim it elsewhere rather than disrupting the lives of the average joe public going about their business

That's the entire point though, disrupt the public until they too start pressuring the government to do something to stop the disruption. Unless you make yourself a pain in the **** nobody listens and nobody cares.

This then leaves the government a choice of 'do what the protesters want' or 'forcefully remove the protesters'.

The balance, which i'm not sure they've got right really, is to irritate the public enough that they apply pressure through discontent but not so much they'd support seeing the protesters banned or prosecuted rather than improvements to climate strategy/spending.

Back
Top Bottom