*** Microsoft Windows 11 Thoughts & Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Still using it as a daily driver since the early builds, there definitely are some niggles but no show stoppers imo

Been playing death stranding recently

Getting 100fps @4k and maxing my lgc1@ 120fps on dlss quality.

The only thing I can't figure is why my speaker is no longer detected through usb

Can't see me going back to ten now

Caporegime
My question is about Windows 11 but not the x86-64 version - ARM version.

Does anyone know if the ARM version is a much more solid codebase, i.e. doesn't contain the years and years of legacy guff that plagues x86 for compatibility and therefore should be quicker? It doesn't make much difference to me as I can't run it (yet) but one day it could work with Mx silicon Mac computers.

Don
My question is about Windows 11 but not the x86-64 version - ARM version.

Does anyone know if the ARM version is a much more solid codebase, i.e. doesn't contain the years and years of legacy guff that plagues x86 for compatibility and therefore should be quicker? It doesn't make much difference to me as I can't run it (yet) but one day it could work with Mx silicon Mac computers.

I doubt it - it will be more likely any particularly key bits of code have been rewritten to ARM, anything non critical is likely still the x86-64 code being emulated

Permabanned
OP
There's a lot of things broken. I just opened outlook on my laptop there and it started doing auth loops flashing windows like as if they where popups open/close/open/close and it wouldn't stop. (exchange account)

Just on removing office completely with the office uninstall tool to reinstall it.

Don
My only gripe so far with Windows 11 is not being able to tick a box or reg entry that says 'always display all taskbar items', now you have to manually set them; annoying.

Second gripe..

The context menu in Explorer has changed, things like 7zip aren't there by default, you have to click 'Show More Options' or open it using Shift + F10 (or the context menu key on keyboard). Seems an odd thing to not be optional :/

Don
The context menu in Explorer has changed, things like 7zip aren't there by default, you have to click 'Show More Options' or open it using Shift + F10 (or the context menu key on keyboard). Seems an odd thing to not be optional :/

Allegedly apps will be able to add things to the new menu soon (although quite what the benefit of the new menu really is then)

I dislike the new menu, the stupid little icons for cut/paste, and the unreasonable amount of padding/white space in it, compared to the original menu.

Soldato
Do group policy rules migrate or will I have to go through them all again?

I suspect I will be a late adopter for this, as I hate change :D
However, might make a duel boot just in case they pull the rug and want to charge later down the line.

Soldato
Second gripe..

That was an issue for me. Overall I was ok until I tried to extract a file and expect to see Winrar options. I have now returned the right click context menu back to the previous version......

https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/how-to/windows-11-classic-context-menus

the above worked for me.

Don
Associate
Been running it for a while now. No issues in terms of it breaking / crashing / reliability. I really like the new look to the UI as well.

however,

as mentioned many times above, the UI method of working is just soo frustrating at times. The new right menu sucks big time, drag to taskbar going … basically lots of good usability has gone.

sure, simplify it for new users, but good grief give power users the ability to work the system. How about an ability to chose what is on the short context menu and what is on the expanded ? Best of both worlds

Soldato
Upgraded without issue, now fighting with the UI changes:
  • Horrible Start Menu - no option to create app groups, just a mess of 18 pinned apps. It looks like a third-party replacement is the only option.
  • No Taskbar Toolbars - I particularly miss having an active Recycle Bin in the System Tray.
  • Spatial Sounds - Now buried six clicks deep in Settings, no shortcut for a quick enable/disable.
  • Context Menus - Third-party apps now relegated to a legacy menu with a completely different menu style. This should however improve as apps are updated to use the new method.

Permabanned
OP
Back
Top Bottom