Moving data on my network killing it

Associate
Swapping the router out with one which has Gigabit ports will almost certainly solve the issue.

It seems from other posts, you are an expert on this ChrisD. However, IMO, unless he is using the router as a switch to interconnect devices, the 100MB port on the router will only restrict traffic going out to the WAN - which is only a problem if his outbound connection is more than that.

Man of Honour
Would you like to bet your job that this is the solution? I would be tempted to loan one before buying one if possible.
Given the router only has 100 Mbps ports there's likely a speed or duplex mismatch somewhere. Having the whole network on 1 Gbps should fix that. Depends on the switches of course.

Don
OP
Cheers for the help gents :D

Funnily enough I was just looking at routers, I managed to take out two switches of the equation including one that was connecting my Unifi to the router via a gigabyte switch. When taking the switch out and connecting the unifi straight to the router its now connecting at 100 FDX so I started looking.

I'm happy trying a new router and then I'll come back here if the problem persists.

Anyone have a recommendation for one? I have 2 Ubiquity's for Wi-Fi so don't need anything special, just as many 1gb ports as possible it seems.

Cheers,

Associate
Given the router only has 100 Mbps ports there's likely a speed or duplex mismatch somewhere. Having the whole network on 1 Gbps should fix that. Depends on the switches of course.

I don't rule out something strange going on, but whichever switch the router is connected to, will auto negotiate that particular port to 100MB, whilst everything else continues to run at gigabit.

From what I've read of OP, his problem is the single uplink between switches from downstairs to upstairs, which is being shared by both data to/from the NAS and (possibly) the Sky Q network. I say possibly, because you have to go through multiple steps to ensure Sky Q does not utilize wifi.

Associate
I managed to take out two switches of the equation including one that was connecting my Unifi to the router via a gigabyte switch. When taking the switch out and connecting the unifi straight to the router its now connecting at 100 FDX so I started looking.

That's because your router only has 100MB ports.

The unifi should be connected to a switch with gigabit ports being used by all of your other internal devices. That will ensure your internal network has the maximum bandwidth available to the unifi and only data destined for the internet goes through the 100MB router port.

Permabanned
Cheers for the help gents :D

Funnily enough I was just looking at routers, I managed to take out two switches of the equation including one that was connecting my Unifi to the router via a gigabyte switch. When taking the switch out and connecting the unifi straight to the router its now connecting at 100 FDX so I started looking.

I'm happy trying a new router and then I'll come back here if the problem persists.

Anyone have a recommendation for one? I have 2 Ubiquity's for Wi-Fi so don't need anything special, just as many 1gb ports as possible it seems.

Cheers,

You already got some nice kit, I certainly would throw in a gigabit router as a replacement anyway if money isn't a problem.

Who is your ISP? What is your connection? i.e adsl/fibre/cable e.t.c

Don
OP
You already got some nice kit, I certainly would throw in a gigabit router as a replacement anyway if money isn't a problem.

Who is your ISP? What is your connection? i.e adsl/fibre/cable e.t.c

I'm out in the sticks so only get 35/7 fibre, it's an old house, thick walls hence the need for everything to be physically connected. The Sky Q boxes are all connected via ethernet, it was terrible when using WIFI, even the ones downstairs.

To the above, understood the ports on the router are 100mbs, hence my original questions in the OP about a router change. The switches left are all 1gb, I may have had my numbers messed up too, there are now 3 left, one in the lounge, one in the dining room and one upstairs.

Let me get a router in for tomorrow and see if I can improve things.

I really appreciate all your help. If anyone can point me in the direction of a good router that will save me some work :)

Associate
To the above, understood the ports on the router are 100mbs, hence my original questions in the OP about a router change. The switches left are all 1gb, I may have had my numbers messed up too, there are now 3 left, one in the lounge, one in the dining room and one upstairs.

Your fibre is only 35MB, so getting a router with gigabit ports isn't necessary. I ran a setup with a 100MB router for a few years - my internal network was still running at 1GB, with multiple unifi ap's, cameras, NAS etc etc. As long as your internal devices do not go via the router to communicate with other internal devices, changing the router is not going to solve your problem.

Don
OP
Who is your ISP? What is your connection? i.e adsl/fibre/cable (virgin) e.t.c

Plusnet fibre 35dl/7ul

Your fibre is only 35MB, so getting a router with gigabit ports isn't necessary. I ran a setup with a 100MB router for a few years - my internal network was still running at 1GB, with multiple unifi ap's, cameras, NAS etc etc. As long as your internal devices do not go via the router to communicate with other internal devices, changing the router is not going to solve your problem.

I can isolate the switches/devices from the router but I will need one so the internal network can connect to the outside world, how do I ensure that this isn't the bottleneck on the network?

Associate
Can't you just have a gigabit switch as your "hub" and have a single connection from it back to the router? That means your network devices can talk to each other via gigabit and only internet traffic uses the 100mbps router link. Of course this only works if you have a single LAN and no VLANs, needing to traverse the router.

A router with more than one port is typically just a built in switch anyway

Don
OP
Can't you just have a gigabit switch as your "hub" and have a single connection from it back to the router? That means your network devices can talk to each other via gigabit and only internet traffic uses the 100mbps router link. Of course this only works if you have a single LAN and no VLANs, needing to traverse the router.

A router with more than one port is typically just a built in switch anyway

It would make sense but we have multiple rooms with multiple devices.

Lounge
TV
Sky Q Main Box
Xbox
Fire Cube

Dining Room
TV
Fire Cube
Sky Q Mini Box
PS4
NAS

Upstairs
PC
Work Laptop
Wife Work Laptop
PS5 x2

Then there's my kids rooms with various things.

I know it's all 1st world problems but imagine the amount of cables going to one central point. If if I was building a new house it would be possible but even the singular cable going around the walls is a nightmare to hide.

Associate
I can isolate the switches/devices from the router but I will need one so the internal network can connect to the outside world, how do I ensure that this isn't the bottleneck on the network?

It wouldn't be assuming you don't want to do anything sophisticated and simply want a "flat" network where any device simply talks to any other device.

The LAN ports in the router are effectively just another switch, albeit a slower one. Only traffic that is actually to/from the internet will go through the router part of the router, everything else just passes through the switch part of the router box.

Having a single connection into the router wouldn't be a problem because, although all traffic to/from the internet would go through it, it would still be faster than your actual internet link.

even the singular cable going around the walls is a nightmare to hide

Really need to understand how you've got 3 switches connected to the router with a single cable. Can you draw a picture of how things are currently connected?

Permabanned
It would make sense but we have multiple rooms with multiple devices.

Multiple rooms with multiple devices would be great going to a central location. There's many routers available. I'm having a look see if I can recommend any.

This is not quite correct. That is the upper limit but the controlling chip will likely have a lower limit.

Google needs to correct the wrong information then. I was informed by Googling. :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
Draw a diagram, put all the switches on, put their model numbers on, and list the devices plugged into each switch.

I would guess at some point the Sky Q Mini boxes are trying to bridge to each other, maybe try running them just from their own wireless mesh and see how you go.

Soldato
From the diagram you just need to move the NAS so it's on the same switch as the PC. The rest of it should be good enough (even if it isn't ideal).

The NAS is actually in just about the worst place it could be.

Back
Top Bottom