Moving data on my network killing it

Don
Hi all,

Trying to work out if this is my router and lack of qos or if I have some dodgy switches.

If I move some files from my PC (upstairs) to my NAS (downstairs) the network will die to the point no one can use the internet until the data has moved.

I also just put a Sky Q mini box upstairs, if we rewind/fast forward, my PS5 will lag a lot. The main Sky box again is downstairs.

Where do you think the issue lies?

I just use a tplink vdsl router, it doesn't appear to have qos

Don
OP
TP-Link TD-W9970 router
Quite a lengthy cat5 around the house to ensure every device physically connected.
Around 3 1gb switches on the network
NAS is a WD MY Cloud if you needed to know

Upstairs connected to the switch is a PC, 2 x PS5s, Work Laptop, Sky Q mini box.
I never suffer lag from poor internet for the record, I play only online games and its perfectly fine UNLESS I move data from my PC downstairs, or like I mentioned start rewinding/fast forwarding on the Sky Q mini box where its communicating with the main box in the lounge downstairs.

Hope that is enough info

Permabanned
How do I find this?

How many ports does each switch have? What's the models of each switch? Are they managed switches or unmanaged switches?

Switching bandwidth is the aggregate input and output bandwidth of all ports. So a 48 port gigabit switch would have 48Gbp/s and 48Gbp/s out, that leaves us with only 96Gbps and apparently, 80GBps would likely be the stacking port rate.

Associate
Could also do with knowing how things are connected.

In particular, are the gigabit switches each connected individually to the router? If they are then any traffic from a device on one switch to a device on a different switch will be limited to the 100Mb/s of the router switch ports.

PC to NAS could easily saturate a 100Mb switch.

Any QoS rules in the router would likely only apply to the WAN (internet) link and wouldn't apply to traffic just going across the switch.

Don
OP
How many ports does each switch have? What's the models of each switch? Are they managed switches or unmanaged switches?

Switching bandwidth is the aggregate input and output bandwidth of all ports. So a 48 port gigabit switch would have 48Gbp/s and 48Gbp/s out, that leaves us with only 96Gbps and apparently, 80GBps would likely be the stacking port rate.

Ah well these are just small unmanaged switches, probably around 6 ports at best. 30 quid jobbies. Because the internet connection had always been good I've always managed to get away with them. If I plan on keeping the Sky box up here is it worth upgrading them? Or the router?

Associate
Upstairs connected to the switch is a PC, 2 x PS5s, Work Laptop, Sky Q mini box.

<snip>

UNLESS I move data from my PC downstairs,

Sounds like you have 2 switches connected together, with PCs on either end. This means you will saturate that 1gb link when you transfer data from your upstairs PC to whatever is on the other end. This will leave no bandwidth for your other upstairs devices.

Don
OP
Sounds like you have 2 switches connected together, with PCs on either end. This means you will saturate that 1gb link when you transfer data from your upstairs PC to whatever is on the other end. This will leave no bandwidth for your other upstairs devices.

I'm not sure on the solution, we have so many devices that need to be on the network and in a big house with many rooms, the switches allow that

Permabanned
I'm not sure on the solution, we have so many devices that need to be on the network and in a big house with many rooms, the switches allow that

You would pull a couple cables from each room to a central point in a cab where 1 switch/router would be. From here you would add Wireless APs if you want an additional 100% hotspot coverage. That might be the only real solution if you are daisy chaining switches.

Man of Honour
There’s a lot of misinformation in this thread.

OP can you post a diagram? And what exact make and model are the switches?

Man of Honour
Generally if moving large files is pulling the whole network down I'd suspect faulty cables or failing switch - might be worth pulling everything unnecessary to see if it still happens and putting things back into the network one at a time to try and find the problem.

A switch isn't a hub so high levels of traffic between 2 ports shouldn't impact the others, unless the contention is on the uplink between switches, neither should the speed of any links not in the data path.

Associate
You would pull a couple cables from each room to a central point in a cab where 1 switch/router would be. From here you would add Wireless APs if you want an additional 100% hotspot coverage. That might be the only real solution if you are daisy chaining switches.

This is the easiest solution. You can get switches with 10GB uplinks to interconnect, but they are prohibitively expensive.

Depending on your usage, the only computers likely to be talking with heavy traffic in what you've described, are your PC's to your NAS. Therefore, at the very least, your NAS should not be sharing any uplink with your internet facing router. That way, even if your NAS uplink is saturated, other PCs can continue to talk to one another and to the WAN without contention.

EDIT - forgot to add, if your Sky Q is able to use Wifi, let it do so. If you have to use wired, then again, the main box and mini may be quite chatty, so ideally they should have a separate connection, rather than sharing a single uplink from downstairs to upstairs.

Permabanned
This is the easiest solution.

Probably one of the most expensive though. Could be we worth it in the long run though. Even if it's 1 cable per room where the devices are for the most important devices first then slowly each month run few more cables if money is tight.

Swapping the router out with one which has Gigabit ports will almost certainly solve the issue.

Would you like to bet your job that this is the solution? I would be tempted to loan one before buying one if possible.

I would be about 80% sure this would fix it. Something with QOS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom