Tory MP Sir David Amess murdered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
RIP David Amess. I suppose the guy who did it, he will end up with food and drink, and a roof over his head till the day he dies, better than a lot of unfortunate people out there.

Waste of tax payers money, I would hang every murderer there is, if 100% proof they did it. The UK is soft as poop.

Soldato

That doesn’t answer what I asked. I appreciate that there have been more than the 3 I suggested but just using that as a reference as it’s basically a generation.

Not even sure if you can work it out but I think it would be interesting to see what the MP homicide rate is compared to another profession/society.

Would it be (3/31)/650*100,000. Which gives 14.89 on every 100,000?

Soldato
Amess, had held that constituency for 24 years, an absolute pillar of that community. A very strange choice if politically motivated. Well I guess murdering anybody is a strange choice to say the least. In the immediate aftermath of this event I don't think it's sensible to speculate, but lets hope there isn't any more of this to come.

He was antigay marriage, he strongly supported Brexit, people often don't need a reason in the end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
That doesn’t answer what I asked. I appreciate that there have been more than the 3 I suggested but just using that as a reference as it’s basically a generation.

Not even sure if you can work it out but I think it would be interesting to see what the MP homicide rate is compared to another profession/society.
I think there's much more intimidation when it comes to politics than most other professions. Things have got so heated that MPs are getting death threats all the time, I would guess that it would be much more common than other professions. Death threats, let alone the act of carrying them out, are unacceptable and sickening.

Caporegime
OP
Someone who is better at stats than I am, what would the homicide rate for MPs be based on this? 3 murders in 31 years. 650 MPs. I’m not sure how to work it out.

Using a naive approach - which is likely good enough for these purposes - that suggests that an MP has roughly a 1 in 6500 chance of being murdered each year. This compares to a rate of around 1 in 100,000 in the general population.

Soldato
You could say the same thing about the Jo Cox incident and Labour under Corbyn tbh... I'm not sure it is particularly helpful to start victim-blaming here.

The fact is another MP was killed, regardless of your personal politics or views of his party that shouldn't come with some "but [insert weak justification for it]".

Neither Davis Amess or Jo Cox deserved any of this, in both cases you could have any number of things to say about the parties they belong to but that's no excuse whatsoever and really is just in incredibly poor taste.
I couldn't agree more.

Soldato
The narrative towards politics on social media can't help, it's toxic and verging on abuse half of the time. But it's 'acceptable' because we're a 'democracy' and people have a 'right' to share their views
My fb feed is very quiet, when Joe Cox was murdered it went mental. We are in a very bad place.

Soldato
I don't know what's sadder, that a sitting MP has been murdered, or that so many people in this country have gone so far down the rabbit hole that they are positively thrilled at the possibility they can blame this on 'the others' and work themselves up into a self-righteous froth....local pubs are going to be a nightmare this evening...
You do realise you're basically doing the same thing don't you?

Caporegime
You know i think that would be a good move, show what these human beings have to go through. Throw some light on the subject and i think people will take a step back and feel a bit of shame

That's easily flipped around for some of the shameful things MPs have done in and to this country though.
Arguably pillaging the mental health and justice systems are two incredibly pertinent examples given this event.
The choices MPs make, particularly recently with their inaction over Covid have resulted in tens of thousands of deaths. Is it not beyond reason therefore that his decisions and votres may have impacted on many people personally?
When Margaret Thatcher survived the brighton bombing attempt it was openly stated that people wanted the IRA to take another crack at it, with jokes about Northern social clubs having a whiparound to buy them more explosives.

It's entirely understandable why some people would therefore seek to harm MPs. When people say they're 'just doing their jobs' remember that the direct (in)decisions of MPs can cost people their homes, jobs, family and in many many cases their lives.

Soldato
That's easily flipped around for some of the shameful things MPs have done in and to this country though.
Arguably pillaging the mental health and justice systems are two incredibly pertinent examples given this event.
The choices MPs make, particularly recently with their inaction over Covid have resulted in tens of thousands of deaths. Is it not beyond reason therefore that his decisions and votres may have impacted on many people personally?
When Margaret Thatcher survived the brighton bombing attempt it was openly stated that people wanted the IRA to take another crack at it, with jokes about Northern social clubs having a whiparound to buy them more explosives.

It's entirely understandable why some people would therefore seek to harm MPs. When people say they're 'just doing their jobs' remember that the direct (in)decisions of MPs can cost people their homes, jobs, family and in many many cases their lives.

I agree with you, and I don’t think I normally do!

MPs are often very well insulted from what their decisions mean for others. It’s not a justification, but the decisions that MPs make will and do have very bad (and positive) outcomes for many people. These people get angry, and you can expect that anger to turn to direct action and violence in some.

Permabanned
Extraordinary and sad news, a well respected and liked MP murdered whilst doing communal work, I can only hope it helps propel the government to have a referendum on returning the death penalty. At least some slight good may have then come from this terrible incident.

Caporegime

Would it be (3/31)/650*100,000. Which gives 14.89 on every 100,000?

Might be more accurate to use all previous office holders, since 2015 there have been 875 MP's and with two murders in the time from the first one to today puts the yearly risk of murder at ~450 per million currently. The national homicide rate is sitting somewhere around 11 per million.

Dunno what it would be for the 31 year span, not sure it's as relevant to the current political climate to use that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom