Associate
Any suggestions as to where i went wrong. This is what i bought and i just recieved 6x120mm coolermaster rgb fans daisy chained 3 per fan header auxiliary rgb headers. Not a complete newbie but its been at least 10 years since my last build.

Windows 10 home
Corsair RM650, RM Series, 80 Plus Gold Certified, 650 W Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - Black
Fractal Design Meshify C - Compact Computer Case - High Performance
Gigabyte Z590 VISION G ATX Motherboard for Intel LGA 1200 CPUs
Samsung 980 pro 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive
Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black, Premium Dual-Tower CPU Cooler with NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fan (Black)
Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G32C16U4B 3200 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 32GB (8GB x4), CL16, Black
Intel Core i7-11700K (3.6 GHz, 16M Cache, up to 5.00 GHz)

Also iv tried overclocking the chip using intels overclocking software where it keeps rebooting and running tests but it always says insufficient cooling to overclock. Should i be using a watercooler instead.
However gigabyte oc tuner will clock it to 8 cores at 5.2ghz
And yes there's no GPU i couldnt afford one right now im using the graphics onboard the CPU and motherboard. Not gaming using for CAD but not tried software yet.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
It's not necessarily the machine I'd have built but it looks like a broadly okay spec. Leaving the Intel overclocking software aside is there anything else wrong, anything you've tried and it can't do?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Its currently doing everything i need just worried i should have water cooled it instead of the big heatsink

Is it particularly noisy then?

I'm not sure that there's much wrong with Noctua's heatsinks. They're probably better than a lot of AIO watercoolers. But if the fan is noisy then the fan curve in the BIOS wants looking at to see if it can be slowed up without sending temperatures too high.

Soldato
The Noctua NH d15s is one of the best air coolers on the market and can even out perform some AIO's so you may have just lost the silicon lottery with the rubbish overpriced inhel 11 series.

Associate
Any suggestions as to where i went wrong. This is what i bought and i just recieved 6x120mm coolermaster rgb fans daisy chained 3 per fan header auxiliary rgb headers. Not a complete newbie but its been at least 10 years since my last build.

Windows 10 home
Corsair RM650, RM Series, 80 Plus Gold Certified, 650 W Fully Modular ATX Power Supply - Black
Fractal Design Meshify C - Compact Computer Case - High Performance
Gigabyte Z590 VISION G ATX Motherboard for Intel LGA 1200 CPUs
Samsung 980 pro 1 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal Solid State Drive
Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black, Premium Dual-Tower CPU Cooler with NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fan (Black)
Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G32C16U4B 3200 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 32GB (8GB x4), CL16, Black
Intel Core i7-11700K (3.6 GHz, 16M Cache, up to 5.00 GHz)

Also iv tried overclocking the chip using intels overclocking software where it keeps rebooting and running tests but it always says insufficient cooling to overclock. Should i be using a watercooler instead.
And yes there's no GPU i couldnt afford one right now im using the graphics onboard the CPU and motherboard. Not gaming using for CAD but not tried software yet.
£389 can get you a msi 6600 mech at mo.. Bottom of rung for modern gpu, but price down there. Saw palit 3060 for £439ish...put on other pist and on mob now, but if cant get an fe card, might be worth a think about if youre not gaming

Associate
As far as I know auto-overclock tools are generally not great, if you really want to overclock you're better off reading up on it and doing it manually. Should not be having issues with a D15

Soldato
Nothing wrong with it except i would have waited to see the AMD / Intel late 2021 releases if they are still happening.
I have not kept up with the news really.

Associate
Any suggestions as to where i went wrong.

I like it. It's fine for a build. If you'd gone for a slightly cheaper motherboard then cool but otherwise, it's fine.

That CPU cooler is amazing and the only thing I'd suggest you do is make sure that there's enough airflow over your VRMs as that motherboard runs warm.

Back
Top Bottom