eye tracking
dynamic foveated rendering
Auto-IPD adjustment
facial tracking, hand tracking, etc. 11 cameras in total
Wireless 60ghz module
Deluxe Speaker Module included with standard 12k package
Changeable faceplate modules for MixedReality cameras

Update:
Price announced: "starting at $2,399". I'm going to assume that means JUST the basic headset.
Target shipping date: Q4 2022, "We'll be shipping before the holiday season of next year"
Trade of of any pimax headset purchased before release, and receive FULL purchase price towards the 12k QLED model.

===================

Over a year until release though... which sounds like it's not actually ready, as I can't imagine that all these things have been done, and yet you cannot release for over a year?

Associate
It sounds to me like a roadmap of tech they hope will come together.

Do I trust Pimax to deliver on the basis of specs alone? No tbh, but good luck to them and show me when its ready.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I wonder what they mean by "dynamic foveated rendering"?
Does that mean that their API applies Foveated rendering to ALL applications displayed?
I did think that it had to be implemented by the applications themselves.

Soldato
I wonder what they mean by "dynamic foveated rendering"?
Does that mean that their API applies Foveated rendering to ALL applications displayed?
I did think that it had to be implemented by the applications themselves.

No, it can be done at a driver level… they mentioned VRSS though which is Nvidia’s own tech.

Problem is that as it stands VRSS2.0 only works in games that are forward rendered, DX11, and use MSAA… in order for it to be really useful it needs to work across games that are DX12, deferred rendered, and use temporal anti aliasing - ironically often the harder games to run in the first place that would benefit the most.

The spec sheet certainly sounds amazing but this is little more than concept at the moment imo… if they manage to pull it off then great, but certainly not something I’ll be preordering any time soon!

Associate
@Unseul thx for the summary.
Having just bought an 8kx I'm just relieved they're offering trade in for current pimax owners.
A bit more expensive than varjo aero but better specs.
But pimax have over promised before. Its interesting they're not taking pre orders this time though.
I do believe this new hmd will materialize but when exactly and will it have teething problems?
Very interesting all the same, good news for VR in general.

Associate
And whilst you’re salivating over a potential 4080 Ti or RDNA 3 GPU to drive such a HMD we are already hearing noises around the price points of those GPUs being 2-3K :eek:

Good to see the tech and engineering moving onwards though, as with the Varjo this should all filter down over time.

Soldato
VR SLI is deader than a dodo….

Which isn’t entirely fair to the dodo as at least those were alive for a long time. I can think of at most a handful of actual games (all by Croteam) that supported it.

Now Nvidia don’t even bother putting SLI on any of their cards except the 3090 and haven’t updated VR SLI in years - it still doesn’t even support DX12.

SLI is dead, long live the new king MCM.

Soldato
OP
The fact that the livestream was an hour late doesn't bode well for the release of the headset any time soon.
50743309342_f2ff8e8c04_o_d.gif

Associate
The livestream having white subtitles on a white background was a doh moment!
I believe the 12K will arrive but when is the question and will it have QA issues like previous headsets? Pimax say they will demonstrate the 12K at CES 2022 in January, lets see if they manage it.

Soldato
These extreme high-resolution headsets are useless without eye-tracked foveated rendering.

They say it will have that... But pimax "released" an eye tracking module for their current headset over a year ago and that still doesn't work now, so I don't hold out much hope of them getting all the other tracking working in another 12 months either... This will either be a complete cluster bubble like their previous headsets or it will be years before it comes out

Back
Top Bottom