Temps advice

Associate
Yes, although now that you've quoted me I feel I should clarify that it should be at the worst case, i.e. if the cooling control can keep below throttle when there is maximum load on CPU and GPU and with the highest ambient temperature that you should expect, then what the water temperature actually is doesn't matter.

Great - thank you for clarifying.

What solution did you use for your PSU out of interest. The PSU fan is the final thing in my setup that isn't very quiet

Associate
Indeed, I was unsure about PSU because there are a few on the market which claim to have quiet fans and zero rpm at low power but you can never be sure. Having planned a system where I have full control of the fans and pumps (I removed the fansink on the motherboard and replaced with a waterblock) I didn't want the PSU to ruin it. So I opened my wallet again and went for the Corsair ax1600i. When I boot the PC the PSU spins its fan for 10 seconds as a test and it is certainly noisy. But then it switches off. I believe that it will only start the fan again at 500W which I think my system can reach, but I have never noticed it during gaming. Of course my fans are making a bit of noise then and I expect that the PSU fan starts slowly so I probably wouldn't notice it. I may have been able to have the same situation with a lower power and cheaper PSU but I couldn't get enough confidence from reviews, and besides the ax1600i has other features apart from max power which at least partly justify the price.

Associate
Indeed, I was unsure about PSU because there are a few on the market which claim to have quiet fans and zero rpm at low power but you can never be sure. Having planned a system where I have full control of the fans and pumps (I removed the fansink on the motherboard and replaced with a waterblock) I didn't want the PSU to ruin it. So I opened my wallet again and went for the Corsair ax1600i. When I boot the PC the PSU spins its fan for 10 seconds as a test and it is certainly noisy. But then it switches off. I believe that it will only start the fan again at 500W which I think my system can reach, but I have never noticed it during gaming. Of course my fans are making a bit of noise then and I expect that the PSU fan starts slowly so I probably wouldn't notice it. I may have been able to have the same situation with a lower power and cheaper PSU but I couldn't get enough confidence from reviews, and besides the ax1600i has other features apart from max power which at least partly justify the price.

Thank you - good to know :)

I'll see how I get on with my sub 40 quid Great Wall Frozen E 650w with reviews only from South Korea. Wish me luck!

Associate
My ax1600i was on pre-order and kept being delayed so I bought the cheapest 750W PSU I could find so that I could build my system and at least check that the other components were working. IIRC that was about £39. For the money it was good, but for a gaming PC it wasn't. The fan was always on and noisy and it had bad coil whine. However I still make use of it - when I need to do maintenance on the water cooling I use it to power my pumps with the rest of the system off.

Associate
Same boat here – newbie with >45c liquid temp in PETG. Going to switch fan orientation and remove my dust filters and see how it goes

Back
Top Bottom