Welcome to another episode of “my house was wired by a clown”

Soldato
Jeez, can't really visualise it. Fcu to maintain the ring then supply the dishwasher etc from that? You shouldn't really have loads of appliances spurred like this, also the lights really should be fused down to 3a.

i think im gona bin the lights off. Install a double socket here and put a plug on the hob and the dishwasher
I'd break into the ring properly and put FCUs in, dedicated for each appliance, but that's just my view. At least then you can fuse down each appliances feed based on the flex they're using and you're still using the benefit of the ring main?

Soldato
OP
I'd break into the ring properly and put FCUs in, dedicated for each appliance, but that's just my view. At least then you can fuse down each appliances feed based on the flex they're using and you're still using the benefit of the ring main?

i can put a wago junction box here and then feed a couple of fcu from it i spose. Assume thats what your suggesting?

edit- for now ive connected it back together with wagos and left the hob disconnected so at the min the ring is intact and the dishwasher is on an unfused spur. I will put a fcu at this end and feed the hob and dishwasher from it. At least this part is safe for now

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
0U52P1K.jpg

One from my day, customer wondering why he was getting shocks :rolleyes:

Theres bellends everywhere unfortunately mate, thats what keeps us in a job :)

have ordered some parts to fix this problem now. Gonna mount an unswitched 13a fused spur in here and then feed the dishwasher and the hob from it.

Once thats done will move onto the other sockets and just fix one at a time.

Soldato
OP
Ok, all the above bodges have been fixed now.

the socket was a complete mess but it was easy enough to fix (back box remains but not prepaired to smash the tiles off)

what amazes me is i removed some of the double sockets and they are wired “professionally”. All the bodges ive found so far look to be additions made by the chuckle brothers.

one whole side of the kitchen is completely done now. Gonna move onto the other side and then the ceiling down lighters

i59qaos.jpg oeKL5My.jpg lACyEDS.jpg RDiIlpO.jpg
QxilR2S.jpg

Soldato
am assuming your looking at the after pic this was how it looked before. Everything twisted together and taped up. o1mN92h.jpg
Oh yea sorry, though they were all different ones in the same room:). I do like those fittings, but the first time I used them it took a bit to figure them out as the leaver was at 'half mast' so the cable wouldn't stay in.

Soldato
Feel the OP’s pain. My house was owned by a previous ‘Jack of all trades, Master of None’. Among his greatest hits was using earth cable, and only Earth cable to wire up an extension he had built on the back of the house. I guess he ran out of live and neutral cable. Additionally, he didn’t know how to wire up double gang light switches, so none of them worked unless all the switches on the same circuit were in the same position.

The scary thing is this clown had his own business as a heating engineer, so would have been doing wiring while installing boilers, thermostats etc.

Soldato
OP
Feel the OP’s pain. My house was owned by a previous ‘Jack of all trades, Master of None’. Among his greatest hits was using earth cable, and only Earth cable to wire up an extension he had built on the back of the house. I guess he ran out of live and neutral cable. Additionally, he didn’t know how to wire up double gang light switches, so none of them worked unless all the switches on the same circuit were in the same position.

The scary thing is this clown had his own business as a heating engineer, so would have been doing wiring while installing boilers, thermostats etc.

only earth cable?

hope you have a picture of that gem, must have taken some sorting out for who ever was stuck with that one.

Soldato
Unfortunately not. Luckily my brother’s an electrician, so he was able to sort it out for me.apparently there was a junction box somewhere in the roof space he was able to reach that just had the core cable coming in from the kitchen, then there was bought but Earth cable coming out of that to the light fittings. Astounding.

Back
Top Bottom