1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welcome to another episode of “my house was wired by a clown”

Discussion in 'Home and Garden' started by NoobCannon, Jun 14, 2019.

1. NoobCannon

Mobster

Honestly never seen anything this bad.

Am up in the loft to replace the downlighters and fix the ceiling in the on suite and this is what i find buried under the insulation.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And yes they were all the same.

2. xb8browney

Soldato

Nasty, hopefully someone didn't pay for that work.

3. d_brennen

Capodecina

He's used way too much electrical tape the noob. The electrons get stuck to it, you know

4. xb8browney

Soldato

Nasty, hopefully someone didn't pay for that work.

5. Rroff

Man of Honour

It is amazing what you find in some houses.

The one that has got me in our new house is the telephone wiring - seemingly no master socket, cable criss-crosses the entire length of the loft 3x for no apparent reason, then goes into the house where there are multiple places where terminal strips have been used to join them badly with some taped splices, atleast 4 different types and gauges of cable - some of them not really suited to telephone wiring, and random extensions chained off random extensions.

6. DXP55

Mobster

OP - You should treat yourself to a new pair of cutters -

7. NoobCannon

Mobster

My cutters are fine. Im a working electrician so my tools get dirty.

8. Adam_151

Mobster

Might just be the picture, but they look old/worn/dull rather than just dirty :p

Not supprised by poorly conencted downlights.... they are one of the easiest points to get on EICR Bingo :p

Just a few from the EICR archives, all were found in commericial / industrial sites: https://imgur.com/a/vpkWRHW

9. NoobCannon

Mobster

Some of those are quite terrible

Especially the ones bypassing the isolators.

10. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

That would be terrible if it was 12V DC car wiring. As it’s 240V AC in a house, whomever did that should be jailed.

11. DXP55

Mobster

The best I have seen was at a collage - the handyman showed me a box of things he had replaced and to me the neatest one was a 13a plug - The student had stripped all three wires down to the clamp - then twisted the wires as tight as he could then carefully bent then round the plug to the terminals making sure none touched- it was a work of art to be honest.

12. divuk83

Wise Guy

The cables loop and twist all over and they have used quite a bit of tape, some time and effort has gone into that! Very impressive.

I'm no electrician, but I know roughly what I expect wiring to be when I remove switches, sockets and lights. It's disappointingly rare to find what you expect to see when doing anything in my house!

Dave

13. Rroff

Man of Honour

I went to school with the owner of a local electrician (ABM 4 Electrical Limited) some of the pictures he has shared of what they found before they rectified it after turning up to customer's premises are quite horrifying - worse even than a lot of that stuff.

14. NoobCannon

Mobster

To add further insult to injury, whilst continuing to tidy all the wiring and junction boxes found under the insulation in my loft ive worked my way back to the extractor fan located above the shower cubicle (zone 1) and found that the guy has fitted a 240v extractor fan directly above the shower.

Dread to think what im going to find when i get to the other bathroom. The kitchens also been done recently and its quite worrying what is hidden under the floor boards with regards just to the lighting! Im not sure if its worth a “fix it when it breaks approach” or to make a huge mess checking stuff.

15. jimjamuk

Mobster

I guess its a balance of trying to guess if its potentially dangerous enough to go fishing under the floorboards to track it all down given what you have already found

16. Terminal_Boy

Soldato

Even when you think everything’s switched off, use one of those current probes to check.

Having power distributed across 3 buildings with 6 fuse/breaker boxes which were installed as the outbuilding were converted over a 20 year period is fun as you’re never quite sure if the circuit you’re looking at is isolated locally or in another building.

17. BigDannyO

Wise Guy

[​IMG]
    Here's one from a hospital. There should only be eight radials of alarm cable using two cores each, instead we've got some horror show of cat5 spliced into choccy block. See also the melted cables from a corrosive spill further up the riser, random cable coiled up behind the PSU, hand-written instructions on a sticker for how to reset it when it dies, and a nearly empty packet of fuses for when they inevitably blow!

18. psd99

Mobster

what should they have done then?

use a junction box or those white connectors?

19. BigDannyO

Wise Guy

There are four outputs on both of those cream boxes at the bottom, cables from those should just run off up the riser. The adaptable box in the middle is a result of some Grade A bodging.

Not to mention, wiring in solid core instead of stranded means that as soon as you tighten the screw down terminals used on ALL the devices on the system you break the core. :rolleyes:

20. Jez

Caporegime

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    How is an extractor above a shower an issue? It sounds to me as though you are just looking for things to criticize to be honest!