• IPD56mm-72mm
  • Spatial TrackingCV 6DoF
  • HDCP2.2/1.4 with Video Converter
  • Ergonomically DesignCounterbalance Designed
  • Connecting Port1 x TYPE-C 3.2 port 1x 3.5mm Headphone Jack
  • AudioDual Channel Directional Audio
  • MicrophoneDigital Microphone

Associate
The through the lens shots looked incredible. He says Vertical FOV looks taller than Quest but Horizontal about the same. The killer though is 120hz is only available at 1080p. At native res it can only do 30hz !!! No tracking. Sebastian says not to buy it and its merely interesting in that putting aside those issues, the visuals give a taster for what the likes of the Quest Pro or Index 2 might look like if they use as high or higher res micro OLED's and pancake lenses.

Associate
looks nice the display looked ace...and 200 grams! i echo what CaliKeith says about the tracking and refresh rate being downers. if they sort those out i'd be interested in buying this.

Soldato
Yeah weird limitation... with DSC there's no reason why they can't run 25xx x 25xx at a full 90hz... wonder why the restriction. Perhaps is a limit of the SoC?

Seems a complete waste of high resolution uOLED displays if that's the case.

Edit - nope, the tethered version in question doesn't have an SoC... what a bizarre limitation. Hopefully that's a preproduction issue or a misunderstanding.

Edit edit - from MRTV: "Exciting news from Arpara: the final headset will be able to do 90hz at 4k (the resolition that you see in the video) and 70hz at 5k!"

Still strange that they've designed a tethered headset which can't run full panel resolution at 90hz to me, it's not like the technology for it doesn't exist. Perhaps it's something to do with the uOLEDs themselves though it seems strange if so.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having seen the difference between 72hz and 90hz in Star wars squadrons (and beat saber etc), whilst 72 is enough for a lot of things, 90hz should really be the minimum target for any future headset that isn't standalone.

Soldato
This definately has me intrigued, but can't help think we should wait to see what the next oculus will bring.

It looks good though. The tethered model has me a bit confused. There doesn't seem to be a tracking system other than a seperate add-on, and the unit only has a USB-C port.

There's too many questions for me, and at $599 it's not something to take a punt on.

The weight and the use of Micro OLED is what's getting people excited I think.

Associate
I've just ordered the 5k headset (not the AIO) for $399 (full payment to be made on or near shipping date, they've taken a small deposit right now) , says shipping will be february 2022. Might regret this lol!

Associate
This definately has me intrigued, but can't help think we should wait to see what the next oculus will bring.

It looks good though. The tethered model has me a bit confused. There doesn't seem to be a tracking system other than a seperate add-on, and the unit only has a USB-C port.

There's too many questions for me, and at $599 it's not something to take a punt on.

The weight and the use of Micro OLED is what's getting people excited I think.
Seb @MRTV has said it will be compatible with vive/index base stations (so i assume knuckles too), he'll be reviewing this tracking system when arpara send him the add on module in a few weeks.

Soldato
I've just ordered the 5k headset (not the AIO) for $399 (full payment to be made on or near shipping date, they've taken a small deposit right now) , says shipping will be february 2022. Might regret this lol!

$399? I thought it was $599

Ah, just seen the kickstarter link. Mmmmm, tempted at that price even taking into account the HMRC import taxes.

If I'm only using it for sim racing, do I need the base stations?

and any ideas what the USB-C can carry? I assume without an SOC it won't be doing any encoding/decoding of the bitstream like quest2.

Associate
$399? I thought it was $599

Ah, just seen the kickstarter link. Mmmmm, tempted at that price even taking into account the HMRC import taxes.

If I'm only using it for sim racing, do I need the base stations?

and any ideas what the USB-C can carry? I assume without an SOC it won't be doing any encoding/decoding of the bitstream like quest2.
Not sure if you'd need a base station as it may have 3 DOF already but not sure, no idea about usb-c. I'd email them any questions you have, they got back to me very quickly.
Edit: it does do 3 DOF on its own.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if you'd need a base station as it may have 3 DOF already but not sure, no idea about usb-c. I'd email them any questions you have, they got back to me very quickly.

ah, just noticed a comment on that video says the cable is displayport. That's me with a reservation :D

Associate
the visual specs look fantastic, however I wouldn't get too excited by the apparent lightness of it.
No built-in cameras, No built-in processing, assume that the tether supplies power so no battery.

I see the link to the AIO version says weight 380g (main body). Dunno if that means they are excluding the headstrap and/or the battery, which is on the rear of the head strap.

Oculus 2 is 530grams with the basic head strap, although @3600, the battery is significantly smaller capacity that that claimed for the AIO version.

Associate
Tying a headset down using cables is a retrograde step, being able to walk around a room with no cable to trip over or get entangled is the way forward.

tethered is of course not an issue for sitdowns like simulators or elite etc, and so can certainly see a light high-res headset being a big upgrade for that usage model.

So I guess it's horses for courses.

Back
Top Bottom