Hanging a heavy mirror above fireplace

Associate
Hi everyone
I would really appreciate some advice here.

I have a new heavy round mirror (it's just under a meter wide and metal) and I want to hang it above my fireplace.
The wall is plaster over brickwork (chimney) and the mirror has a single hole to hang at the top.

I know I need an appropriate screw and wall plug but the issue is the ones I have just won't cut the mustard I don't think.

I would appreciate any advice on which screw and plugs to buy to securely hang this metal beast of a mirror!

Thanks ❤️

Soldato
I have these funky metal Rawl plugs which have a bolt through them. They're designed for holding heavier weights, I used them to hold my bike on a wall. Might be called wall anchors or something. I can dig out a link if needed.

Soldato
10-15kg is nothing, standard rawl plug will hold that weight in brick but something like a fischer UX8 gives a bit more quality to the fixing , most of the weight will be on the screw so you want something quality. I see no reason to use something more heavy duty like an anchor bolt on such a weight.

Soldato
Depends if your fixing will be penetrating into the brick or not i.e. how thick is plasterboard, is there a gap between, and how long a fixing can you use.

If you can get decent penetration into masonry then @200sols said, 15kg is no problem at all for even a well installed red wall plug.

If you aren't able to reach into the brick, your best best is one of these, which I imagine might be what @Cleisthenes means.
M5 x 71 Heavy Duty Metal Zinc Plated Steel Molly Bolt (Pack of 5) Hollow Drive Wall Anchor Screws Set for Drywall Plaster Wall Dry Plasterboard Tile Block Gypsum Board (71mm Long) M5x71 : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Your problem might be if you have a small gap that is basically no good for either solution. But I think with either a very long wall plug (if the gap is quite small), or by drilling away some of the masonry and fitting in a metal plasterboard fixing (if the gap is quite large), there's a tidy solution.

Soldato
Soldato
I had to hang a heavy oak mirror, I put a batton of scrap wood across, with 8 or so dewalt nylon screws, and hung the mirror on that. I reckon I could hang myself of it it's that strong.

Unfortunately screwfix don't seem to sell them any more but these look like the ones. The nylon really grinds/adheres to the plasterboard.
https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Dewalt-Dfm4120000-0075352966908-Zip-It-Nylon-Include-Screws

If you're going into brick you'll be all good with normal raw plugs

Soldato
I had to hang a heavy oak mirror, I put a batton of scrap wood across, with 8 or so dewalt nylon screws, and hung the mirror on that. I reckon I could hang myself of it it's that strong.

Unfortunately screwfix don't seem to sell them any more but these look like the ones. The nylon really grinds/adheres to the plasterboard.
https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Dewalt-Dfm4120000-0075352966908-Zip-It-Nylon-Include-Screws

If you're going into brick you'll be all good with normal raw plugs
I've used nylon ones like that before and they got chewed up while I screwed them into the plasterboard. Read a lot of similar experiences too. Maybe those dewalt ones are better quality, and I don't doubt you managed well with them from what you said, but I'd be cautious about these.

Soldato
I've used nylon ones like that before and they got chewed up while I screwed them into the plasterboard. Read a lot of similar experiences too. Maybe those dewalt ones are better quality, and I don't doubt you managed well with them from what you said, but I'd be cautious about these.
Usually only happens when the pilot hole is too small. I usually add some washing up liquid / soap / spit around the thread which seems to help too

Soldato
OP said plaster over brick. Not plasterboard.

A decent length / diameter screw + plug that reaches into the brick won't have any problem holding a mirror - even if it's made of lead.

Soldato
OP said plaster over brick. Not plasterboard.

A decent length / diameter screw + plug that reaches into the brick won't have any problem holding a mirror - even if it's made of lead.
D'oh I misread. Agree with this. Just go with a brown wall plug to be safe, not like they are at all expensive.

Soldato
I'd just go with a standard wall plug or fischer duo plug. (saying that I've never hung a particularly heavy mirror!)

I believe fischer duo plugs say theyre rated to 200kg or so

Associate
OP
Thanks for everyones input on this. Much appreciated. I got a decent set of larger screws w/ wall plugs and the mirror is now hanging securely on the wall.

Back
Top Bottom